TV Question

Gothampc
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/4/14 at 07:43pm
I've posted this on the Off-Topic Board, but I thought I would post it here as well to see what suggestions you may have.

What really great British shows are we missing in the US that we should look for?

PBS does a fairly good job with Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs, Call The Midwife, EastEnders, and all the costume dramas. They've brought in Doc Martin, Miranda, The Cafe, After You've Gone, New Tricks and Silk. Obviously we've had the Patricia Routledge shows and the Judi Dench shows.

We get some good stuff on dvd: Ab Fab, Life On Mars, Royle Family, Mulberry, Fresh Fields/French Fields, The Ambassador, Extras, Only Fools and Horses and many of the David Jason shows.

I've watched Shameless and Waterloo Road online.

I've been trying to find Clocking Off but haven't got it yet.

What other really good British shows should be on our radar?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/4/14 at 11:00pm
On the other thread, I remembered that I've also enjoyed Larkrise to Candleford and Gavin & Stacey. Additionally, I've seen Pulling, The Inbetweeners and Last Tango At Halifax.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 03:15am
Apart from Gavin & Stacey and Silk, there are no shows on your list that have screened in the US that I would ever remotely think of watching lol - so, as always, it depends on what each individual's tastes are. But some of my favourite UK series of recent years that do not appear on your list are:
BROADCHURCH
LINE OF DUTY
SILENT WITNESS
STELLA
POIROT
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 07:41am
Broadchurch, Luther and I personally love Death in Paradise.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 09:28am
Thanks for these suggestions. Yes, I guess my taste skews more toward the comedy, so I have to broaden my horizon. Other than Poirot and Death In Paradise, these titles are new to me, so I'll check them out.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 10:47am
You have a couple of old shows, sch as: Bergerac and Midsomer Murders, more recently New Tricks is also very good.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 11:04am
Yes I love New Tricks and Midsomer Murder. They show that in the States on PBS.
Owen22
Broadway Star
TV Question
Posted: 2/5/14 at 04:53pm
Both Hulu Plus and Netflicks carry never-broadcast Brit TV shows.

Message Board

Water Babies 11 Posts
Heathers the Musical 6 Posts

BWW BLOGS