Comscore

A Trip Down To Glocca Morra

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/23/14 at 11:39am
Finans Rainbow is going to be revived at the Southwark Union theatr.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot*****
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/23/14 at 02:30pm
Yes, a new production directed by Phil Willmott will play at the Union from Feb 12th to March 15th. Casting will be announced soon.

This is a great vintage musical with a wonderful score. Really interested to see it in the beautifully intimate space at the Union.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz***** Into The Woods*****
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/23/14 at 04:23pm
Further details, including casting, here:

http://philwillmott.org/finians-rainbow.html
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz***** Into The Woods*****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/24/14 at 08:41pm
Pleased to get a chance to finally see this classic, after missing the Encores revival on Broadway three years ago, which the critics salivated over, but the punters didn't.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot*****
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/3/14 at 07:55pm
Saw this last weekend - utterly delightful production of a classic musical, beautifully staged and beautifully performed.

There is now a trailer on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fWGQSNocw

If you aren't able to catch it at the Union before it closes, don't worry - it will be transferring for a limited run at the Charing Cross Theatre.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/4/14 at 06:55am
We went middle of last week. Our first time to this venue. Miscellaneous thoughts:

A transfer seems hopeful, given that our evening there were almost as many people on stage, in the band and tech crew, as in the audience. It was not close to being sold out.

That said, the production needs a bigger space. We were in the first row and in danger of getting hit by dancing legs and arms at times! Also, the actors were playing it as if they were in a larger venue - the facial expressions were large - the looks at the audience were "off" because we were right there -but they weren't looking at us. The director did a good job of using the limited space - but there were times when the floor was too crowded.And while the three piece band was quite good - and did not overpower the singers - the score does deserve more instruments.

So maybe a transfer will open up and lead to more ticket sales.

I admired how the director spread solo lines around the cast. It did not appear anyone was left out and relegated to "just ensemble".

I know this is not West End - so the anachronistic costuming was just an oddity that I mostly suspended my belief for.

Except for Finian, the Sherrif and the Senator - the cast seemed really really young. My daughter was confused whether Finian was Sharon's father or grandfather.

The alteration of making the Senator "poor" instead of "african-american" doesn't work. It just seems "odd" when he talks of not being able to go home and it is even odder that no one recognizes him as "poor". He is not disheveled enough to appear any different.

My 12 year old enjoyed it (although note: she said the bathroom at the venue was "disgusting" and we had to go next door to the Italian restaurant for her).
Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/4/14 at 06:05pm
Given that change, regarding the character of Senator Rawkins, did they cut "The Begat"? Also, I see there is an actress listed as playing "a servant at Rawkins' mansion," which makes me think the 'shuffling' scene, where the servant is instructed on how to serve the Senator a mint julep, was kept in. If that's the case, it seems odd to keep that scene, (which is really discomfiting to watch) but not retain the book's satiric through-line about American racism.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 3/4/14 at 06:05 PM
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/5/14 at 05:31pm
I don't recall a "servants" scene about mint juleps, per se. Not that there wasn't one. The closest scene I think that fits this bill leads into "Necessity".

The show does perform "The Begat".
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/5/14 at 06:36pm
I am surprised this has got a nod for a transfer, as it certainly wasn't sold out when I went and other shows which did sell out, didn't transfer. But Finans Rainbow is a well known piece of theatre and with a bit of advertising and a theatre in the West End ticket sales could be more upbeat, if it does transfer I certainly will go and see this again.

I agree this production would perform better in a bigger space and would work better on a traditional stage.

In the fringe you have a lot of casting from ex students who have just graduated and eager to bolster their c.v. thats what the cast might seem a bit young!!

I haven't been in the ladies toilets in the Union for obvious reasons, but if they are anything like the Gents, then they are just very old fashioned, very reminiscent of the old style outside toilets you used to get in pubs, they are certainly clean and I have never felt uncomfortable using them.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/6/14 at 01:21pm
....Senator Rawkins is turned "poor"? Not black??? Do the producers understand the point of the musical? How unfortunate Tams Whitmark has allowed this change to the text. And if they haven't I"m thinking someone should inform them.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/17/14 at 02:22pm
The transfer to Charing Cross is official. Interesting that the press release says "sold out run" at Union - um, I guess it is how you define "sold out"...
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/17/14 at 02:35pm
"Sold Out" where you sell all your tickets, but half the audience consistently fails to turn up.

Pleased it has managed to transfer I might see this again and see how this plays out on a traditional proscenium stage.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Playbills & Programs 2 Posts
Memphis West End 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS