Lack of Olivier noms for Wicked...?

Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/15/14 at 06:49pm
Wondering why, after Wicked received several Tony nominations in 2004, including best musical, and two best musical actress noms for its leading ladies, why wasn't Wicked shown the same type of award-support in London at the Oliviers? Helen Dallimore and Idina Menzel failed to receive best actress in a musical nods, and even Miriam Margolyes was shut out (I thought she deserved a best supporting performance in a musical nomination myself)... any thoughts? The Oliviers are so obscure sometimes, the way they leave out some of the most obvious choices (Tamzin Outhwaite comes to mind when she was snubbed for Sweet Charity, and the category only had 4 nominees with room for a fifth!)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/15/14 at 07:03pm
You have to understand with the Olivier Awards decisions they can range from odd to downright bizarre.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Posted: 1/17/14 at 10:40am
Simple, the show is **** !
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/20/14 at 08:29pm
This is one of the most overrated shows in the history of theater on a par with Cats.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/21/14 at 05:57pm
Because the critics hated it in the United Kingdom, they really felt there was little heart in it.. I feel the show is very American and not really for the British Critic. I personally think the Olivier Awards were right. They gave that season to Caroline and Change and Sunday in the Park With George both well deserving works of art. I do not see Wicked in the same vain.
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/21/14 at 06:35pm
I was just checking if we talking about the same person I thought we were. But Tamzin Outhwaite was so bad how would she be nominated
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 06:38pm
I assumed Wicked got better reviews here than it did on Broadway?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/21/14 at 06:40pm
no it didm't it got worst if that was possible
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/21/14 at 06:40pm
no it didm't it got worst if that was possible
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/31/14 at 02:33pm
I hated wicked I thought the set looked cheap and I also thought the story was boring and the music while okay not brilliant.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/31/14 at 02:42pm
Wicked also opened in a very strong year. Spamalot and Avenue Q both transferred
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/31/14 at 05:16pm
and Caroline and Change
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/31/14 at 05:32pm
I thought Tamzin Outhwaight was outstanding vas Charity and didnt get the recognition she deserved
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/31/14 at 05:44pm
with no fosse
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/31/14 at 07:11pm
I also thought Tamzin Outhwaight was fantastic, she brought a deep vulnerability to the role of Charity.

If Olivier Awards are given out for spectacle and a handful of decent songs, then Wicked should of got a handful of Oliviers, but if they are presented instead for entertainment value, that has a incoherent book in places, a handful of decent songs and that wasn't the best musical in London that year then you would have to say the Olivier committee were spot on with their choices.
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 1/31/14 at 07:29pm
sometimes they are random just like the tonys
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/1/14 at 07:13am
I've seen Wicked twice in London and once in NYC (I live in the States).

I have to say that I loved the American show WAY more… BUT I thought the singing was much better in the UK production. The two times that I saw Wicked in the UK, I felt like it REALLY lacked the emotion that the USA production put on.

That being said, as much as Wicked is a gateway drug into other musicals, I feel like it's just that. There are so many productions that deserve more attention.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/5/14 at 04:56pm
It's a terrible terrible show that didnt deserve the noms it got at the Tonys, the Broadway an West End reviews were pretty much the same, quite dismissive
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Message Board

Kindly suggest a play 1 Posts
Buyer and Cellar 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS