Royal Opera House, Covent Garden Seating Question

AddisonMizner
Broadway Star

Has anybody on here ever been to the Royal Opera House? I want to book for what will be my first visit, and I was just wondering what the seating is like in the Main Auditorium. Where are the best places to sit? Is there any overhang from the various tiers/circles? Is there anywhere I should absolutely avoid?

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
Updated On: 1/12/14 at 11:13 AM
JustJakUK
Chorus Member
To be honest there isn't really a bad seat in the house. If you can afford it the orchestra stalls and royal circle are the best seats in the house. The front of the stalls circle is great but avoid the extreme sides of the stall circle which are bench seats. Saying that the Amphitheatre has a great views of the stage and orchestra sounds just amazing up there as the sound comes up and out at you. Try to get seats in the front or middle of the Amphi though as the upper Amphi is VERY HIGH!!!! I worked there for about 3 years on and off just after the refurb as an usher & manager. I had a great time there and still have good friends FOH and on stage
pathman2
Chorus Member
I'm not the original poster, but I have another question after buying seats this morning for Tosca in May. I've never been to the ROH before (only been to London one other time, which was too brief) and was wondering how subtitles are displayed? We had a limited budget for seats and ended up with stalls circle row B seats 24-25. Don't mind the benches, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to see the subs if they are above the stage. Thanks for any additional info!
JustJakUK
Chorus Member
Any seats that cannot see the Surtitles above the stage, including the bench seats in stalls circle, have translation boards mounted on the backs of the seats directly in front of you so you'll have no problem viewing the translation. The performance programme which gives you biogs and a synopsis etc is..or was 5 and can be bought from any sales desk. However there's a separate cast sheet that's available from the sales desks with a brief synopsis inside that's free of charge. The ROH production of Tosca is beautiful! You'll definatly enjoy. Your nearest bars will be in the Floral Hall that used to be the original Covent Garden flower market or the conservatory...just off the Crush Room, which is the big room on the Royal Circle level which houses the big chandeliers. If you have a chance go up to the terrace of the Amphi Bar which has great views of Covent Garden.....the escalator from the Floral Hall takes you straight there. If you're around during the daytime there's a great back stage tour as well. Have a great time...it's a beautiful building and an outstanding production. I started working FOH there in 2000 and a number of years later found myself performing on stage with the Royal Opera
pathman2
Chorus Member
Thanks for the info!
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Well, after trying and failing to get tickets for FAUST on Tuesday when General Public Booking opened, this morning I managed to bag myself a central stalls seat for one of the performances. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I am so excited! My first visit to the ROH, and with that cast of singers! Thank you everyone for your help.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****

Message Board

2015 Olivier Awards 21 Posts
Shows Starting On Time 27 Posts

BWW BLOGS