Comscore

CALAMITY JANE 2014 Uk Tour

AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/14 at 01:16pm

It looks like a new Watermill Theatre production of CALAMITY JANE, starring Jodie Prenger is going out on tour this year. It's running at Nottingham's Theatre Royal from 7th-11th October 2014:

http://www.trch.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=26615

I love this show, as I've done a production of it myself and have fond memories of it, but I can't say that I'm loving the casting of Jodie in the lead. Nothing against her - I'm just not a fan!
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon **** The Book Of Mormon ****
Alisonjazz
Swing
Posted: 1/12/14 at 07:34am
Have to disagree. It's perfect casting. Didn't you see Jodie in Oliver? She's gutsy and her voice is going to suit that era
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/12/14 at 09:57am
No, I didn't see Jodie in OLIVER, as I do not like the show at all! I did however watch her on I'D DO ANYTHING, and she was not my favourite for the role. I do not think she is a very good actress - there does not seem much depth to her performances, and I am not a fan of her singing. I'd have much rather seen Jessie Buckley, who was the runner-up, win the role, as she was a much better actress and would have done something very different with Nancy. Also, Jessie was much closer I think to the Nancy that Lloyd Webber had set out to find. In fact, I'm convinced that some of the other contestants on I'D DO ANYTHING would make a far better Calamity than Jodie.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon **** The Book Of Mormon ****
Alisonjazz
Swing
Posted: 1/30/14 at 02:34pm

This is funny. Am I talking to one of the old Nancy's? The Stagey bitterness is peeking through. Just googled Jodie. She's worked for the national, can't be that bad. We loved her as nancy on stage, she really stepped up to the plate. I do hope which ever nancy this is your well, it looked like you all got on so well
Updated On: 1/30/14 at 02:34 PM
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/30/14 at 04:04pm
I actually have to agree with Addisonmizner, Jodie does not have much depth as an actress and has an ok voice. And yes I saw her in Oliver. And yes she has worked for the National, but in a supporting role in One Man Two Guvnors, its not like she was playing Shakespeare in the Olivier.

She was without doubt the weakest of all the reality show winners
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/30/14 at 04:53pm
Jodie hasn't performed at the National, she was stunt casting in a National production.

I saw Oliver several times and have to say I am ambivalent towards Jodie, she was serviceable, but her understudy Tamsin Carroll was far superior in the role and I would even say she was even better than Kerry Ellis.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/30/14 at 06:53pm
Kerry Ellis was dire as Nancy. Never before that performance had I seen an actor phone something in. She was so bored on stage, and was totally miscast.
Alisonjazz
Swing
Posted: 2/2/14 at 09:33am
Must be talking to another nancy. You can't say the entire British public are stupid. We watched week after week. I said after the first week she was the one. How can she be the weakest when millions voted. None of the other winners have had the same success as Jodie. Well not that I know of
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/2/14 at 11:44am
The judging panel thought the other girl was a far better talent (Jessie Buckley), perhaps the British public thought her life story with the battle against the weight was what made her deserving. She is mildly talented, but no more than any other principal member of West End cast, if anything she was better in 'One Man, Two Guvenors'.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Alisonjazz
Swing
Posted: 2/2/14 at 01:27pm
I agree she really suits comedy took the family to see her in spamalot. I don't think weight issues can win you the title of a role. Like in all the shows there were clear runners from the start. Half talented people have never won I voted for lee and Daniel. Shame people have a thing against winners from these shows. Myself and my family love it. I see lots of shows and think Jodie has a great stage presence
AngusN
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/2/14 at 05:19pm
Jodie may not be the most talented lady in the West End, but she's a decent actress, a good singer and most importantly had star quality and the likability factor.
I loved her in Oliver, I thought her Nancy was a raw and truthful performance.
I can not wait to see her as Calam, she will be fantastic!
Theatrefan2
Chorus Member
Posted: 2/3/14 at 11:33pm
Have to disagree with you there on the reality winners. If Connie Fisher did not have the throat problems I am sure she would still be a major draw. Lee Mead has done Wicked, Legally Blonde headed his own concerts and is going into Casualty. Ben Foster is working. Not sure what Danielle Hope is up to but she was very young. I would say his winners are doing fine.
carriesparkle
Stand-by
Posted: 2/4/14 at 03:53pm
"The judging panel" didn't think Jessie was better. Three of them wanted Jessie to win; two wanted Jodie. Barrowman talked about it in an interview with BWW a few years back.
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
Posted: 2/10/14 at 08:05am
Danielle is in Les Mis at The Queen's or she was!

Lee Mead is so awfully bland as a performer. He is the epitome of Mr. Cellophane.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/10/14 at 10:12am
When I saw the program and asked the direct question who should win, the main players on the panel Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh certainly wanted Jessie Buckley to play Nancy.

I thought Lee mead was fantastic on the program, th couple of times I have seen him live I was less convinced.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement Advertisement