Curious WILL close at Apollo

AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/8/14 at 05:54am
... and move to Gielgud from July

Apollo could be closed until September reportedly...
Updated On: 1/8/14 at 05:54 AM
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 09:36am
Can't say that I'm surprised, but I'm glad they're at least able to move. Though shame for those actors being out of work for the next 6 months, unless they've released them from their contracts and plan on re-casting?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 10:41am
Good thing the show will have a further life, bit of a blow for Nimax but hopefully the Apollo can be reopened with a new show in its place sooner than later. I imagine the National considered whatever was free and decided the Gielgud was best.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 11:43am
I guess that Blithe Spirit will be a limited run after all.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 11:51am
Which as a consequence meant that the National Theatre had to wait a long time for their chosen theatre to become available,I imagine the show is hemorrhaging 350k a week, don't know who ultimately picks the bill up for this and staff salaries still have to be covered.

It looks like the Apollo will be dark for a while maybe a year, I imagine major structural repairs have to be done before any show commences, I guess Westminster Council will make Nimax jump through hoops in order to be re-certificated for future performances.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/8/14 at 07:07pm
The way I read it a show could open sooner without the balcony but as Curious is selling out it is worth having a bigger theatre anyway.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 07:18pm
350k a week? Not a chance
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/14 at 08:59pm
Go on , mine was a wilt guesstimate, how much do you think Curious does a week?

The balcony I think are just 12 seats, so you have to balance up keeping the show closed until June with the ability of selling low yield 12 seats, the National theatre have opted for the former and keeping the show closed for a extended period. The devil will be in the detail here and we will know the truth when the next show confirms for the Apollo.

Pity the show is going into the Gielgud though.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/14 at 03:44am
The likelihood of Curious Incident haemorrhaging ANY kind of money is slim to none. Insurance will cover much of the the loss of earnings as Nimax, not the National, are responsible for its closure.

No play costs 350,000 a week to run - I can't think of ANYTHING that costs that much, those would be suicidally high weekly running costs particularly when plays aim for a break even point around 40% capacity. You'll be looking at running costs somewhere between 100 and 200k probably (I've yet to make it to Curious Incident so aside from the set looking incredile I have noidea what the technical complexities are in terms of cost).
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 08:50am
Sorry, my guessdemate was that Curious grossed at the box office 350k a week.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 03:02pm
I imagine Curious Incident has a slightly higher than average running cost for a play but I think War Horse is probably more expensive to run but that still sells well.
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Posted: 1/17/14 at 10:44am
Reopens @ Gielgud June 24th

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Book of Mormon Run 9 Posts

BWW BLOGS