Robert Lonsdale

Owen22
Broadway Star
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/2/14 at 10:22am
After a Christmas trip to London where I saw some terrific theatre (11 shows in 10 days), I've come to the conclusion the highlight of the trip was: Robert Lonsdale.

I liked "From Here to Eternity" a lot, thought it had the best new "traditional" score I've heard on either side of the Atlantic in a long time (though best musical of my trip had to go to "American Psycho"). But my take away was the kid in the lead role.

What a masterful performance. Helped by a terrific, recurring theme song, he was spectacular, real, honest and moving. As a Brit doing a Kentucky accent, he could have been lazy and did an omni-Southern dialect. But he did his homework, did a region specific accent and didn't over-do it. He acted with his eyes, which is something a lot of musical theatre performers don't or can't do (its difficult when acting in this most presentational type of theatre). (SPOILER:) He had made me care so much for his character, even though I knew the senseless way he dies, I was so caught up in the immediacy of his performance it was a shock, and I mourned for the character through the curtain call (on the way to the tube afterward I had to quit thinking about he and the play as I would begin to weep in the middle of Shaftesbury Ave!) Rarely has an unknown actor hit me the way Robert Lonsdale hit me (I hope I was seeing a star being born) and with his charisma, non-traditional-yet-gorgeous leading man looks, and uncompromising talent I am looking forward to following his career and seeing him onstage again soon.

Updated On: 1/2/14 at 10:22 AM
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/3/14 at 05:35pm
I thought he was amazing and plays the part so well. I've seen the show twice and [SPOILERS AHEAD] wish I didn't know he was going to die. I never saw the film or read the book and the first time I saw it (just after opening) on the boat at the start she said her fiance died so I knew it was coming, the second time (about a month later) that line was gone but of course i knew then!

I hope I get another chance to see him before the show closes
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/3/14 at 06:18pm
I take it he was the Italian 'the Wop', if he was he was excellent.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Theatrefan2
Chorus Member
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/3/14 at 06:30pm
No he was the boring, noncharismatic lead of Pruitt.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/19/14 at 12:59pm
I saw this again last night and for my money and for me Ryan Sampson is an absolute delight as Maggie and absolutely runs away with the show, I could easily see hi nominated for best featured actor in the Oliviers, but then again wouldn't surprise me either if this won nothing.

Prewitt played the role with gusto and was rather charming.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Robert Lonsdale
Posted: 1/19/14 at 01:15pm
I think Robert Lonsdale is a massive talent - great vocals, his performance as Pruitt was fresh and energetic and he has immense stage presence. I also thought Ryan Sampson was fantastic as Maggio.

And I LOVED this show!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 39 Posts
2015 Olivier Awards 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS