A replacement for Curious Incident tickets?

Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Star
For obvious and tragic reasons, our tickets for the Jan 4 performance of Curious Incident are no longer valid. Does anyone have suggestions for another show (play or musical) that boasts a dazzling physical production AND challenging thoughtful script? Eager for any insider suggestions. (Already seen Warhorse and One Man Two Guv'nors.)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
In which case definitely avoid the Duck House and Barking In Essex.

I thought Twelve Angry Men was very well put together play wise. Musical wise Billy Elliot is always spot on, if you haven't see it yet. The Book of Mormon is excellent, but don't go if you are prudish, then in which case you might find From Here To Eternity appealing.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Star
Thanks, Phantom-- Billy Elliott is such a great suggestion we've seen it 4 times, 3 times in West End and once on Broadway. Seen Book of Mormon too. We've got tickets to Charlie and the Choc Factory the night before and wished for something more challenging for our last night. (Sounds like "Stephen Ward" would not fit that bill based on that threadů)
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
You will need something to wipe the horror that is Charlie from your mind, awful show
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Both marmite options but worth having a look at The Light Princess and Emil and the Detectives.

Avoid The Duck House and Barking in Essex.

Charlie is enjoyable and a spectacle. The lyrics are quite fun but difficult to catch. Solid entertainment that has had a harsh ride from many... including myself!
ukpuppetboy
Understudy
I don't think I'd describe The Light Princess as 'challenging'. Unless you were referring to the acrobats balancing Ms Craig on their out stretched legs for 10 minutes. Nor would that music be my idea of a tonic to CatCF. But I guess that's pretty subjective.

The London cast of Once are amazing, each and every one of them.
mjohnson2
Stand-by
This may not be what you're looking for, but the Mousetrap is always brilliant.
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
I have just seen the cancellation has been extended to 11th Jan now.
I booked to see the show on the 25th, Anyone any idea when I'll know for sure? I don't want to leave it too late to try and make new plans.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Agree with the suggestions for Light Princess. It's subtle with its challenges, and if you like the way Sondheim plays with motif and theme, you'll take to the score more than many, but as has been said, it's a particularly marmite show. Personally, I'd fly over to see it again in a heartbeat if the funds allowed.

You may also want to take a gamble and try to get day seats or returns for American Psycho at the Almeida. 6PM for returns, early for the very limited day seats.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS