Balcony collapse at the Apollo

thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 03:39pm
Apparently there's been an incident at the Apollo tonight with part of a balcony collapsing. Witnesses are reporting injuries and people trapped. Just seeing this unfold on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/LondonFire/status/413768855908261888
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 03:46pm
Now being reported it's a partial roof collapse? Not sure which it is at this point.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 03:58pm

Not sure how exaggerated the headline is, but clearly something is happening. Keeping good thoughts.
Apollo theatre collapses 'trapping injured people inside' - eye witness reports

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:04pm
Watching this unfold on Sky News now, part of the ceilings has collapsed, reported to be 30 casualties, some of these walking wounded. This news just before the season of good will, all very depressing and hope no one is seriously injured.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Updated On: 12/19/13 at 04:04 PM
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:06pm
I'm seeing multiple reports of people being trapped in the stalls and WoS tweeted that two people were being attended to inside? I believe their source was BBC News.

Edit: JEEZ, 30 casualties?! This is so sad...
Updated On: 12/19/13 at 04:06 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:07pm
Reports that a piece of ceiling has fallen onto the Stalls, which no doubt this would be plaster or concrete, this isn't good!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:20pm
Now hearing this is at the front of the stalls, which normally houses the lighting and speaker rig that attaches to the ceiling, if this came down and fingers crossed it hasn't, there will be carnage.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:23pm
Do these theatres not get regularly inspected? This seems like something that could have been prevented if that were the case.

Updated On: 12/19/13 at 04:23 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:28pm
I guess they will have to get regularly inspected, this isn't an isolated incident the roof of the Shaftsbury Theatre collapsed in the 70's, which closed Hair, so there hasn't been lessons learned.

Here now that all casualties that were trapped, have now been freed. 65 people have been injured according to London Ambulance Service.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:37pm
5 people seriously injured, but no fatalities that the Metro Police are aware of.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 04:57pm
As an aside, why are victims lumped in as "casualties" there? Maybe is just a States thing where casualties typically mean fatalities? Just thankful it wasn't a lot worse.

How easy is it to get out of that theatre in an emergency situation? Is is one of those theatres where the Stalls is below street level?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/19/13 at 05:01pm
everythingtaboo, I was wondering the same thing! When I first heard "multiple casualties," my mind definitely thought fatalities, not just injuries.
JamieHT
Stand-by
Posted: 12/19/13 at 08:13pm
Casualties just means injured people over here.

81 walking wounded now and four seriously injured but not life threatening. (From BBC News a couple of hours ago).
Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 02:35am
Let's not jump to conclusions about lessons being learned, or the cause of the incident when we have so little information!

The ceiling collapse at the Shaftesbury- which did not take place with an audience present- was 40 years ago and that was a very different time.

I suggest we remember all those recent cases of people jumping to conclusions on Twitter and wait for the full details before prognosticating on who is to blame!
Parsley
Featured Actor
Posted: 12/20/13 at 03:38am
Thankfully no life threatening injuries according to the latest news.
Updated On: 12/20/13 at 03:38 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 04:17am
Very funny.

Does it matter if the theatre was full or empty or that a ceiling collapsed 30 years ago, the fact is another ceiling collapsed, which put patrons lives at risk, we can not look back and say what happened at the Shaftsbury was historical, so doesn't apply, there is only one reason why a ceiling collapsed is because the structure isn't structually sound, besides what do patrons pay the resteration fee for?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 04:39am

devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 02:09pm
You are talking from a position of ignorance. You do not know what happened, end of. Until you know the actual cause of the incident don't make such simplistic and offensively patronising comments.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 02:35pm
Completely agree. As if Sky News ridiculous and inaccurate reporting/scare mongering wasn't bad enough, theatre fans are stirring the pot too.

And as for that 'joke', cheap and unfunny
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 03:27pm
For the record, it seems the initial report as of today was that due to an abnormally heavy downpour the hour before the show and the possibility of clogged drainage, large amounts of water pooled and caused the cave in.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 06:35pm
I repeat again, the only reason a ceiling collapses is because it is structurally unsound, that the bottom line plain and simple, not on a position of ignorance. People are alluding to a sudden downpour why the roof might of collapsed, which sounds plausible but a roof should be able to cope with rain and that is why it is raked, so water can run off, why didn't the roof collapse with all the snow we had over the last several years.

Reading tonight's Evening Standard their attitude is that no one got killed so forget about it and move on, this paper received a lot of money from theatre advertising and is well read in theatre circles, as Nick Curtis quoted in his disgraceful comment 'Theatreland will keep calm and carry on'. The fact is, it was very fortunate that and thankfully no one was killed, there are several people in hospital now with possible life changing injuries, which could easily be one of us, the theatre was very lucky and dodged a bullet last night.

This incident should serve as a warning that we should carry out a very thorough safety review of all our theatres, on everything that pertains to safety not just structure. There are a lot of people who are traditionalists who detest change and I can be one of them sometimes, but will get off the fence on this issue, I can think of 3 theatres from the top of my head if there was a fire, you wouldn't be able to evacuate these places in time and there would be carnage on a massive scale, the theatre I am thinking off are the Vaudeville and both Theatre Royals, you would have another Kings Cross, which was in turn caused by a caviler attitude to safety and yes the warning signs were there, before it happened but conveniently were brushed under the carpet, as it was too much of a hot potato as this incident will be brushed under the carpet and one day when there is a big incident and people are killed people will look back and say 'why didn't we do something then, the warning sign were plain for all to see' and of cause like always people Nick Curtis will not be around to carry the can.

One issue people have been very quiet on and I am not going to be a shrinking violet on this and that is the terrific job the low paid ushers did to evacuate the theatre, if people are going to say 'bravo' that night, it should be aimed at them.

Evening Standard Article
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/20/13 at 07:11pm
Let's not scare monger here.

Theatres are fully checked and this day and age you can't fart backstage without some kind of inspection and authorisation form being completed.

Water, weather damage is impossible to tell. It happens in houses ceiling falling thru for example. You would have to carry out weekly inspections on the old buildings to see if anything has changed which will never happen.

This was a rare occasion and I am sure more safety check will come from this but I think the maximum human possible is being done. This could happen anywhere, in your house, supermarket etc i

I personally think what the outcome of his needs be is what is being done with the restoration levy now enforced on every theatre. It shouldn't be used to just give the bar a lick of paint and new carpet but to preserve the theatres, especially now it's an ongoing fee. If we pay in we should be able to see what is being spent.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/21/13 at 09:43am
Anythingoes talking sense!

Some of the comments here and on other forums read like the Daily Mail website

Also there has been lots of praise for the FOH staff

Updated On: 12/21/13 at 09:43 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/21/13 at 01:02pm
Phantom why was his comment disgraceful? It's saying what we are famous for here, not letting anything grind us to a halt, I think it's the perfect attitude.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ukpuppetboy
Understudy
Posted: 12/21/13 at 07:50pm
Horay for some sensible balanced comments.

Of course the incident should never have ever happened and yes the theatre probably is lucky not to be facing a more serious outcome but Phantoms' consistent doom mongering and flagrant speculation of imminent "carnage" (from the hypothetical collapse of the lighting rig to a future fire) really isn't helpful here and I agree is Daily Mail scaremongering of the worst kind.

So without anticipating the outcome of the investigations too much it seems likely that water collected on the flat roof above the auditorium, leaked through the flashing and saturated the decorative plasterwork causing it to break away in sections. It's a little extreme to suggest the building is structurally unsound, and bording hysterical to alledge the balcony collapsed. Perhaps we should be a little more cautious about taking news from twitter as fact. And even more careful about prophecising Kings Cross style tragedy based on no facts of what sprinkler systems are in place or fire safety regulations adhered to.

I couldn't agree more that regulation of the restoration levy is essential to allaying any public fears about the state of historic theatres and hopefully minimising any negative effects this horrible event may prove to have had upon confidence amongst theatre patrons.

Updated On: 12/21/13 at 07:50 PM
forgetmenotnyc
Stand-by
Posted: 12/22/13 at 12:00pm
I don't understand why buildings rated as "II" can allow over 700+ people into them?
Re-posting comments I read elsewhere: "Structural work next door included removing chimneys." "Nimax Theatres owns the Apollo & several other theatres. Theatregoers have been paying a compulsory "Restoration Levy" on every ticket for many years (& this procedure was in place when Andrew Lloyd Webber owned the building). Theatregoers are essentially paying for the upkeep of the building, something that should be the responsibility of the owners. What have Nimax been doing with all the money? It clearly hasnt been going towards the upkeep & maintenance of the building - more likely straight into the pockets of the execs & shareholders.

Page:

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 39 Posts
2015 Olivier Awards 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS