Hills alive at the Palace?

AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/18/13 at 05:18am
Rumours of despite The Commitments extending to September 2014, the show will close March and Bill Kenwright will put in a run of The Sound of Music (The Open Air version) to play over Easter, May halfterm and Summer 2014. Negotiations are in play for Broadway's Kinky Boots to the premiere at The Palace November 2014/Spring 2015.

Bill also plans to bring in this year Evita, Fame & a number of plays. Yes, he is back!
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/18/13 at 06:05am
And Marti Pellow will be in all of them.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/18/13 at 06:27pm
The Sound of Music should do well in its limited run, wonder if the Open Air cast will return to play the run or will it be recast?

Kenwright has got Let the Right One in which is playing the Royal Court so a transfer is likely. Only other new plays coming in 2014 that are confirmed are Full Monty, Fatal Attraction, the Weir and Shakespeare in Love although I'm sure more be announced.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/18/13 at 09:55pm
Also coming in is A View From The Bridge and A Streetcar Named Desire at the Young Vic, Hobson's Choice, All My Sons and To Kill A Mockingbird at the Open Air.

I am excited by both of these, The Sound of Music was excellent and will be interesting to see how this will translate to a conventional theatre. Kinky Boots must be the worst kept secret, it is definitely going to happen in the West End, but who could play Lola in the West End? Only one actor I can see who could play the West End and that is who is playing Broadway now and that is Billy Porter who is excellent.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/18/13 at 11:03pm
Streetcar will be a hit no doubt, I imagine The Full Monty will be a hit with audiences although it'll have to transfer if it extends since Shakespeare in Love has already booked the NoŽl Coward,

The Importance of Being Earnest with Stephen Fry is rumoured for next year as well and a revival of Closer.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/19/13 at 03:14am
Billy Porter will bring the show to London it is heavily expected it schedules allow.

Nothing is set in stone though.

rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/19/13 at 11:50am
The Commitments has extended booking to September 2014.

The Full Monty won't be transferring as it's going back out on tour after London. It's playing the King's Theatre in Glasgow next September.
FireFingers
Stand-by
Posted: 11/19/13 at 08:49pm
Booking extensions mean little. They're often used to get a bit of advance in before announcing closing and transferring the tickets to earlier shows or refunding.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/20/13 at 04:52am
I've never understood this. Lots of shows have recently announced booking extensions (Mamma Mia, The Bodyguard, Phantom). Does that mean we can expect them all to close soon? How does a new show last beyond it's original booking period if it doesn't extend booking?
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/20/13 at 10:30am
As FireFingers says, the booking period extension has no consistent meaning. Sometimes it means the show is doing really well; sometimes it means they're desperately trying to get advance sales. The only way to tell is through knowledge of how the show's actually doing.

For instance, if From Here To Eternity extended its booking period, I would assume it was doing badly. If Book Of Mormon does, I assume it's selling out.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/20/13 at 12:06pm
Thanks for the explanation. Still a crazy concept. If a show is failing surely it should just close instead of costing the producers even more money trying to make it last.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/20/13 at 01:38pm
Most shows extend booking in six months blocks, there are exceptions like Curious Incident which is selling very well but a long booking period is often seen as a sign that a show isn't doing great business,
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/20/13 at 04:52pm
Shows extending are a way of getting a quick cash injection from any possible advance bookers and just a way of combating poor reviews or bad word of mouth, no matter when a show is booking too if it' dips in sales it can close within weeks.

Message Board

Buyer and Cellar 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS