Regents Park Announces 2014 Season

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/29/13 at 12:32pm
The Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park has announced its 2014 season, with a production of All My Sons, Gershwin's Porgy and Bess, Hobson's Choice, a re-imagined Twelfth Night for young audiences and the previously announced return of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Opening the season, artistic director Timothy Sheader will direct Arthur Miller's classic play All My Sons, which will run from 15 May to 7 June 2014. Sheader previously directed Arthur Miller's The Crucible during the 2010 season, winning the WhatsOnStage award for Best Director.

Hobson's Choice will then run from 12 June to 12 July, directed by Nadia Fall (Doctor's Dilemma, Home, National Theatre, Disgraced, Bush Theatre).

Harold Brighouse's unlikely love story combines comedy with romance as it follows the lives and loves of boot-maker Henry Horatio Hobson and his three daughters.

The musical offering at Regent's Park next year will be the Gershwins' Porgy and Bess, running from 17 July to 23 August 2014. Also directed by Sheader, the show tells of Porgy, a beggar, and his devotion to taming wild Bess to save her from a life of ruin.

With a book adapted by Suzan-Lori Parks and a musical score adapted by Dierdre L. Murray, it features songs including "Summertime" and "It Ain't Necessarily So".

The season is completed by a re-imagined version of Twelfth Night produced specifically for audiences aged six and over, which will run in daytime performances alongside Hobson's Choice, from 21 June to 12 July 2014. The production will be supported by in-school workshops devised by the Young Shakespeare Company for years 3-6.

As previously announced , the 2013 production of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird will then return to the venue to bring the 2014 season to a close.

Full cast and creative team for all productions will be announced in due course.

Tickets for To Kill a Mockingbird are on sale now, whilst tickets for All My Sons, Hobson's Choice, Twelfth Night re-imagined and Porgy and Bess will go on sale in early December.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/29/13 at 02:00pm
I've never really fancied the prospect of freezing my nuts off at an open air show and squeezing into uncomfortable seats at Regents Park - though I do regret not having forced myself to suffer the elements to see Into The Woods at Regents Park a few years ago. And, to be honest, there's nothing on that list that tempts me to break the habit of a lifetime. lol
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph*****
exedore
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/29/13 at 02:43pm
The list doesn't appeal to me either, but you missed a brilliant Hello Dolly, Bob.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/29/13 at 02:59pm
Not a fan of the venue at all and none of these shows appeal either
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/29/13 at 05:18pm
Saw To Kill a Mockingbird on the warmest day of the summer, one of the most immersive and creative theatrical experiences I've ever had.

Into the Woods in 2010 was also a dream, not sure if I'm in love with the theatre itself or Tim Sheader's work, his All my Sons seems like a must!
mickeyjotheatre.webs.com

2014 Theatre: One Man Two Guvnors**** Coriolanus*** M For Medea* Wicked***** Gaslight***** Rent: In Concert** War Horse**** Birdsong*** Romeo and Juliet** Worst Wedding Ever** Good People***** Derren Brown: Infamous***** Blithe Spirit*** The Phantom of the Opera***** Urinetown**** Other Desert Cities***** Betty Blue Eyes*** King Lear***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/29/13 at 07:36pm
One of my favourite venues, a true amphitheatre in the park, where anything can happen but then again I am lucky to live in London and work only 10 minutes walk from the theatre, so can see what the weather is like before I purchase my tickets. With the great weather this year and also 3 great shows, the Open Air had a scorcher of a year, which is great.

I am looking forward to next years season, especially 'All My Sons', but I don't think that could eclipse the West End production 3 years ago with David Suchet and Zoe Wannamaker, which was brilliant. 'Porgy and Bess' is also a inspired move, I would never of guessed they opt for that!! I saw the same production in the Richard Rodgers theatre in New York last year, Norm Lewis and Audra Mcdonald were awesome, so looking forward to see what the park could do with catfish row, I would think Clive Rowe would be excellent in this.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/31/13 at 04:28pm
I think PORGY AND BESS is a really exciting choice, and even more so because they are using the version adapted for the recent Broadway production starring Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis. Didn't think we'd be seeing that over here, but now we get to see what all the fuss was about! I'll be booking my first trip to Regents Park just to see that!
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon ****

Message Board

BWW BLOGS