Comscore

The Scottsboro Boys

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/19/13 at 05:14am
Great to have a new Kander & Ebb musical in London.

Got my tickets booked already.
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/20/13 at 05:17pm
2 more unproduced

The Visit
Musical Version of Skin Of Our Teeth

Would love to hear their first musical Golden Gate which went to the composers graveyard.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/20/13 at 05:53pm
I saw The Visit at the Signature theatre in Arlington, Virginia a few years ago with Chita Rivera and George Hearn - it was simply awesome! (One of K & H's very finest pieces of work IMO.)

I also saw a production of All About Us (the revised title of The Skin Of Our Teeth) at the Westport Playhouse in Connecticut (with a cast led by Shuler Hensley, Cady Huffman ad Eartha Kitt). The Book was a little shaky in places but the score had lots of real gems.

I also saw The Scottsboro Boys on Broadway and absolutely loved it. Have not been able to find a way to fit in a visit to see at the Young Vic - but those who do get there are in for a treat!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)****
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/23/13 at 03:40am
A remarkable production. One of those ideal musicals where the cast album doesn't tell you anything about what the show is really about.

Within five minutes I felt uncomfortable. A sensation that only deepened until at times I was physically shaking with anger. The framing device that Stro brilliantly uses in her direction & choreography to debase and prostitute the triple threat talent of the cast - so much so that the internal conflict between wanting to wildly applaud what I was seeing was suppressed by deep upset at what I was seeing.

I suspect all of you know what this show involves but if you don't - go in cold. It will pay off.

The cast are just remarkable. For me this is the show (along with Jenna Russell for Merrily) that should walk away with all the main awards.

I look forward to polarising opinion. The show runs 1hr 50 with no interval. The seating is raked all the way up to the circle - so there are no bad seats. I was centre "stalls" perfect but a friend found the front just fine.

Deeply uncomfortable experience. Unmissable.
Sean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
Featured Actor
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:42pm
First review from the Guardian: 4 stars!
The Guardian: Scottsboro Boys review
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:55pm
A shame it tanked on Broadway. Some shows subject matter make it a tough sell. Not many tourists want to see this (no matter how good it is)and pay big bucks. The same held true with Sideshow (Siamese twins). The high cost of Broadway simply condemns many good shows to the ash heap/

It ain't fair but hell life ain't fair.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/30/13 at 09:16am
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
jaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/30/13 at 02:55pm
Thought it was terrific at the young vic, glad it's had good reviews.
The cast were incredible and I couldn't tell that some had done the show on broadway and others were new to the show.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/31/13 at 11:26am
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Updated On: 10/31/13 at 11:26 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 10/31/13 at 11:30am
I have never seen this before, where the reviewers are on the same concensus, a very good musical, but not perfect.
FrontRowDress Profile Photo
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
The Scottsboro Boys
Posted: 11/3/13 at 07:20am
The best thing I've seen all year. I actually can't believe it "only" got 4 star reviews. It gets a full 5 stars from me on the blog. One not to be missed.
The Scottsboro Boys

Message Board

TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts
Memphis West End 11 Posts

BWW BLOGS