Will there soon be a new American BILLY ELLIOT?

mikey2573
Broadway Star
Last week, Mitchell Tobin and his family were seen attending the London production of BILLY ELLIOT The Musical, fueling speculation that 13 year old Tobin, who just finished playing Billy in the US National Tour (or I guess international tour since it ended in Brazil)) might be replacing retiring Billy, Harrison Dowzell, who leaves the show in November. Mitchell is from Florida and was a terrific (and TINY) Billy Elliot in the tour.
Here is Mitchell performing the Dream Ballet for a publicity shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMNv8h4ONU

And EXPRESSIN' YOURSELF (notice the cheapo dancing dresses they used for the tour..creepy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAfQI5nj6s

And here he is doing THE LETTER reprise in his very last show (thus far). Notice how the actors change their final lines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWxASM3rpo

If he does join the London cast, you guys are in for quite a treat. He really was a terrific Billy.

Updated On: 10/14/13 at 11:01 PM
mikey2573
Broadway Star
So, I guess the answer to my question is, "YES!".

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/173510/american-mitchell-tobin-makes-west-end-debut-as-billy-elliot/

Congrats to Mitchell. Anyone who saw him in the national tour knows what a fantastic little (and I do mean LITTLE ---he is a tiny guy) BIlly Mitchell is. I hope he has a long run in London.

BTW, BILLY ELLIOT has already been announced in the states for two regional productions; one at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine, and the other is the Muny in St. Louis, MO.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I can see why two regional productions are being done now, as they can use the raw talents of Billy's from the Billy Elliot school, but once these are done there will be probably be no more regional production and this will never be revived professionally as the costs are prohibitively too expensive to remount a production that done reasonable well in New York, but sadly bombed on the road (shame as it is my second favourite musical of all time).

If a production is to be done again, it will be nothing like the original Billys who were all treble threats for a age so young, they had to be accomplished in everything even Ballet and Tap dancing that are naturally diametrically opposed to each other and these skills no child is gifted with and is only done through many hours of tuition, where the natural raw talents are honed through the Billy Elliot Academy.

I saw this again over Christmas for the eleventh time and Billy Elliot has one of those rare qualities in any art form that it actually gets better every time I see it, I always noticed something else when seeing this delight of a show again.

Long live Billy Elliot I would be in pieces if this or Les Miserables closed, the West End would never be the same.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
mikey2573
Broadway Star
I think the fact that, a little more than 2 years after closing on Broadway, and less than 5 months after closing the US National Tour, two regional productions have already been announced bodes well for the future of this show in the states. While it will be hard to find Billys (though there is a former Billy who lives in Massachusetts, just an hour's drive from the Ogunquit Playhouse), it will not be impossible. I think many productions might make use of former US Billys (there are quite a few of them, especially when you count the Billys from the tour) to play Older Billy in the Swan Lake Ballet sequence, and to train young Billys.
I am a huge fan of the show as well, and have seen it so many times I have lost count (at lest 30). While the Muny production is a little too far for me, I will definitely be seeing the one in Maine.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Have you seen the West End production, that will soon be going onto its ninth year form the end of March.

Seeing Billy Elliot over 30 times is very impressive, most people will regard you, off your head, but I can completely understand your devotion, hope you see it 30 more times.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
Saw the show tonight... I had seen it five times on Broadway and I could not believe how different (for the better) the show was here. Redmand Rance was our Billy and he has got "it"! He gave one of the best performances I've ever seen on a stage... even got a standing ovation after "Electricity". From what I understand, that's pretty uncommon here, yes?

Sorry for the slight thread-jack, but I got last minute day seats and was not expecting to be nearly as blown away as I was. Truly, the whole cast was fantastic!
Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Glad you had a positive experience and I guess this is the London production?

Standing ovations are indeed very uncommon here?

Is this your first trip to London? What else are you seeing?
Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
It is; I'm spending a semester here for university! In addition to Billy Elliot, I've already seen Henry V and Spamalot.

I have tickets for: Ciphers, Blurred Lines, Happy Days, Oh What A Lovely War, Candide, The Mistress Contact, 1984, and Variations on a Theme. I plan to see more of the longer running shows as well.
Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Message Board

Menier Christmas Show? 41 Posts
ENO Musical? 3 Posts
Miss Saigon Previews 129 Posts

BWW BLOGS