Comscore

Andrew Lloyd Webber's STEPHEN WARD Cast Album is Coming

AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
March 3rd, 2014 according to Broadwayworld. Released on Decca.

Read the full article here:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Andrew-Lloyd-Webbers-STEPHEN-WARD-Cast-Album-Coming-in-March-2014-20131007

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon ****
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Thanks for that.

Justed listened to the two free songs and was completely blown away by the song 'Human Sacrafice' and thought the other song 'I'm Hopeless When It Comes To You' is also very good and have to admit I listened to both songs more than once, this could be Webber back to his best, not that he strayed far from it in the first place.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
I do like the songs. Certainly, "Human Sacrifice" is the better of the two, although the lyrics are a little trite and I do think that it would work better as a purely instrumental piece. "I'm Hopeless When It Comes To You" is very typically Lloyd Webber and does border slightly on the bland side, but I do not know how it will work in context of the piece.

Have you heard the other two songs that have been released from the show? These are not available as downloads but they were performed at last week's press launch and can be heard in full on YouTube.

This Side of the Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OLurm2zwE

You've Never Had It So Good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nm0K4Kw7AA

I do have more of an issue with these two songs. "This Side of the Sky" is a very simple, pretty melody (yet again with trite lyrics) but seems totally divorced from these two characters. The scene reads to me more like a seduction than a sweet love song, and there is nothing remotely "sexy" about the song. Plus, I am led to believe that these two people were quite "shady" characters, but you wouldn't know it from this song. I am all for making them more three-dimensional, but this doesn't ring true at all.

"You've Never Had It So Good" is witty, but it doesn't seem to develop story and as I have said in a previous post, sounds uncannily like the "Ascot Gavotte" from MY FAIR LADY. Plus, it could be cringe-inducing if staged badly.

Of course, this is all speculation until I see the songs in the context of the actual show.

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon ****
TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
I'm Hopless... is very similar to Other Pleasures from Aspects of Love. The line 'When it comes to you' is exactely the same as 'Trade them all for you' I then want to carry on singing 'sailing off, in the night...' and Human Sacrifice makes me think of Joe Gillis in Sunset, reflecting on his life post death.

I wonder why he feels the need to keep writing new shows, its not as if he needs the money! Still, im booked for December and looking forward to it
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
I hope he waits until after opening night to record it so we don't get another cast album like "Love Never Dies" which doesn't reflect the final version of the show.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
And Phantom of the Opera and Aspects of Love and Cats (London) and Starlight Express (London) and Sunset Boulevard (London). It's rare that Lloyd Webber produces the first cast recording after a show is set.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
I think he still sees it as the best form of publicity.

The songs have bored me to tears; completely bland and un-original. The opening theme is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, to start with. Shame.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Having heard the 3 songs he put out last week, all of which I found mind-numbingly boring, I could not bear to sit through the entire CD lol

I was actually thinking of booking to see the show in December but when I heard the songs I thought better of it!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)****
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
There are four songs out, not three.

Human Sacrifice I really like and showed a lot of potential for the show, but each other song just got more and more average. Not bad, just bland and forgettable. Never Had It So Good is just out of Cats and Evita and depending on the staging could be really cringe.

I do really like the advertising campaign though

This show does seem to have been rushed through at amazing speed
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Oh, I only heard three. Thankfully I seem to have been spared listening to the fourth lol

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)****
Updated On: 10/11/13 at 03:18 PM
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Theres 'human sacrifice' , 'you've never had it so good', a duet between ward and keeler, and jo ridings solo ballad
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
The release date for this has been moved to 30th December 2013 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Ward-Original-Cast-Recording/dp/B00FLDVIZ2/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_4_T5N5?ie=UTF8&refRID=11EM6CS2C2W4BMG87KPK

Is this definitely correct?
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Amazon are usually accurate with these things plus it won't be the first time the Lord has recorded his work and ready to drop after opening night.

That score could be called Miss Birdseye before the rehearsal period is even over :)
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
A strong sense of deja vu with all of his songs.

Message Board

Memphis West End 11 Posts
TKTS Urinetown 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS