Matt Smith to lead American Psycho cast

Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
A transfer must surely be on the cards with Matt Smith in the lead
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Full cast announced
Matt Smith will take the part of Patrick Bateman alongside an ensemble cast which includes Ben Aldridge, Charlie Anson, Jonathan Bailey, Katie Brayben, Cassandra Compton, Holly Dale Spencer, Susannah Fielding, Simon Gregor, Holly James, Lucie Jones, Tom Kay, Gillian Kirkpatrick, Eugene McCoy and Hugh Skinner.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
A really strong ensemble cast! Especially the fabulous Lucie Jones, Holly Dale Spencer (who was wonderful as Holly Golightly at the Lilian Bayliss Theatre recently) and the seriously awesome Cassie Compton!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game*****
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Bleurgh- so not Bateman
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Oh i disagree, a great actor and he has bulked up a lot lately
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I have to be honest - I had to google Matt Smith to find out who he is! lol

Afraid I've never watched Doctor Who!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Even if you havet he has a good cv. I recommend checking out Christopher and his kind on dvd
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I don't doubt his acting ability - I'm sure he's great. And his CV does look quite extensive and impressive - just not been in anything I've seen (or for the most part even heard of LOL). It just shows how much stuff there is out there on TV - I watch a hell of a lot of TV but just not anything like what he's been in.

Thanks for the recommendation of Christopher And His kind (I'd never heard of that one either LOL) - I googled it and it looks really interesting.

The bottom line on this one for me is - I was already looking forward immensely to this show long before any casting was announced.

Updated On: 10/7/13 at 03:05 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
I hated the book so much it's about the only novel I've thrown away; the message is trite- we get that the 80s were dog-eat-dog and amoral in certain walks of life. The violence seemed spectacularly misogynistic, self-indulgent and ultimately unenlightening.

I fear, from what I've seen and heard, that the musical will put a glossy sheen on a repellent story and character. Bateman is not an anti-hero and I fear the musical tries to make him one.
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
I hated the book too, so overated. I did like the film a lot however and was pretty intrigued by the idea of the musical. Matt Smith just doesn't seem right to me though, his casting makes me feel a little less bothered that i can't get to see it.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I've never read the book or seen the movie. The fact that it has a score by Duncan Sheik is reason enough for it to be a "must see" for me.

And even without that - I would kill to see Cassie Compton in anything!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
The film is one of my all time faves with an incredible performance from Bale, however Smith seems wrong to me, though I will give him the benefit of the doubt
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
He has bulked up quite a bit. I don't doubt that he'll look the part. He just has a lot to live up to from the film. I can't imagine how they'll do the naked chainsaw scene on stage without it being campy as hell, but I guess we'll see. I can't imagine they'll leave it out. People will be expecting it.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
mrkringas
Broadway Star
I've read the novel and seen the film. I have severe issues with the material along the lines that devonian.t states. That said I rate the director and curious to see what Duncan Sheik has come up with.

While the casting suggests a transfer, surely no one thinks this would go to the West End? A broadway run more credible? As much as I will go and see quality, adult musical theatre - there just is not the audience for a commercial run in London.

That is sad as hell but thats the state of the art.

By adult - I mean dark as hell satire with extreme violence. Can't wait to see it though. Had booked tickets for the week between Christmas and New Year. Perfect timing really.
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Well it'll do very nicely for the Almeida's coffers
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I imagine a limited run would work rather than an open ended run, I could see it transferring to somewhere like the Harold Pinter or the Gielgud but it depends on theatre availability.
hanschens
Stand-by
I am so excited for this, the casting appears to be great and from the very small snippet I've heard of the music, it's definitely going to stand out. My one concern however is Matt Smith's singing.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/13/13 at 01:36pm
It could transfer, the entire run is already entirely sold out. Me thinks Matt Smith has a lot to do with this.

I got a feeling this won't transfer to the West End though.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
This far outperformed even my wildest expectations. With its tongue firmly in its cheek, this is right up my street. Funny, dark and stylish and Matt Smith is tremendous, only offstage for a few seconds throughout. Total raving on the blog, but be warned there are spoilers, especially where the score is concerned.

American Psycho
Updated On: 12/8/13 at 06:56 AM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 12:24am
Does he get naked? That's really all I want to know...
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 10:31am
He gets down to underpants!

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. A slick and classy show. Loved the songs. And Cassie, in particular, was amazing.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 10:53pm
A musical with the word Psycho in the title? May be a bit if a hard sell.
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
sparepart973
Stand-by
Posted: 12/11/13 at 06:03am
her accent was HORRIBLE though.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/13/13 at 05:32pm
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
sally1112
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/14/13 at 08:12pm
IS he hot??
mjohnson2
Stand-by
Posted: 12/22/13 at 03:56am
Insanely hot. People are underestimating the power of Doctor Who and what Matt brings with him.

Page:

Message Board

2015 Olivier Awards 21 Posts
Shows Starting On Time 27 Posts

BWW BLOGS