Broadway Flop Scores Worth Listening To

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
2 recent flops on Broadway have cast album CD'S worth a listen

Chaplin - got respectable reviews but flopped
Hands On A Hardbody - got almost all favorable reviews but closed prematurely
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Thoroughly agree about Chaplin - some lovely stuff in the score. have not heard anything from Hardbody as yet but hope to pick up a CD when in New York next month.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game*****
TBFL
Featured Actor
The OBCR of Taboo. IMO it's better than the OLC
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Disagree about Chaplin - found it very disappointing.

Leap of Faith has a good score.

Bonnie and Clyde has a GREAT score.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Disagree on #1
Agree on 2 & 3
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
An oldie but goodie:

MINNIE'S BOYS
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Unfortunately because flop musicals have been let down by a crap book mostly, there must be some real gems written that have been consigned to the history books, which is a real shame, take 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue as a pertinent example, there must be a couple of gems in there and a lot of other flop musicals that must be worth salvaging and recycling into something new.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Agree re Minnies Boys

Some others

Inner City
Zorba - Kander/Ebb
Its A Bird Its A Plane Its Superman - Strouse/Adams
All American - Strouse/Adams
Bajour - Mid 60's Chita Rivera & Gypsies
Golden Rainbow - Steve Lawrence/Edie Gorme

Updated On: 10/6/13 at 08:25 PM
TBFL
Featured Actor
I would also recommend 'The Story Of My Life' Its not perfect but there is alot to admire in it.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
I also prefer the US recording of Taboo, also Bonnie and Clyde (New York critics are idiots) The Wedding Singer (very underrated here thanks to the awful UK production) and Hands on a Hardbody is incredible. Hated Chaplin and Leap of Faith
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Bonnie & Clyde is a favourite of mines. Will be heading over to Chiswick to see what Arts Ed do with it.

Kicking myself that I missed Hands on a Hardbody as I'm enjoying the cast album and find it on repeat often.

Can't say I get Leap of Faith. As much as I love Raul Esparza and Alan Menken - there just isn't much to recommend.

The Story of My Life is a little gem of a show. And dare I admit to liking Glory Days?
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Dipping back a few decades, the OCR I continue to listen to the most is Nick & Nora. I don't know what it was like on stage but Charles Strouse's score strikes me as brilliant.

Updated On: 10/8/13 at 07:44 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
I also quite like Glory Days
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Nick & Nora had basically no dancing. The leads were good . The score was great but it was heard in a different manner on stage . Asta was great.

It sounded better on paper than it turned out.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Flop Scores Worth Listening To
Posted: 10/10/13 at 03:10pm
Goldilocks
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
alpacasrock
Swing
I disagree. I saw Bonnie and Clyde on broadway and HATED it. Frank Wildhorn needs to stop writing music. It's pleasant, but just really generic, like ALW.
Sean2
Featured Actor
One of my favourites is 'The Robber Bridegroom', although whether it was a flop or not is in question. It certainly disappeared off the radar.
sparepart973
Stand-by
This seems to be the obvious one..but what about Carrie?
carlodowd
Stand-by
I know this show technical wasn’t a flop but "Sister Actually” has a great score. The songs are catchy and brilliantly sung! Also "First Date” is quite good
mallardo
Broadway Legend
I've been listening to Far From Heaven - which was certainly not a success in its premier engagement - and find it beautiful, a breathtaking blend of film score lushness and theatre music. Very original and very different from Grey Gardens, by the same composing team. If you haven't heard it, check it out.

Updated On: 12/2/13 at 03:07 AM
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Zorba made back its money on tour, so I wouldn't call it a flop. Neither would I call Far From Heaven one--it ran its booked run off-Broadway. Sure, it didn't move to an open ended run, but...
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
My favorite flop scores are Minnie's Boys, Henry Sweet Henry, Hallelujah Baby!, Celebration, Zorba--(not really a flop but I do love that score), 70 Girls 70, Fade Out Fade In,
lotiloti
Featured Actor
Ballroom
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Any Wildhorn score
mamaleh
Broadway Star
WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

MAGGIE FLYNN

ILLYA DARLING
Dubliner
Understudy
Listening to the OBC of Mack and Mabel - its hard to imagine how a show with such a glorious score could flop.

Page:

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 39 Posts
2015 Olivier Awards 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS