Ghost Special Effects

mfan123
Chorus Member
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 8/30/13 at 07:52pm
Anyone know how the trick where sam walks through the door is done?
Zinone
Understudy
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 8/31/13 at 08:48am
It's been a while since I saw it, but my understanding is the actual door slides off at one point, and is replaced, bit-by-bit, by a projection as it goes off.

Updated On: 8/31/13 at 08:48 AM
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 8/31/13 at 10:15am
Think of why the now empty poster frame has to be placed so strategically....

It's a form of pepper's ghost, I believe.

That, along with the Blue Room Illusion (which was in the London production) is one of the great visionary moments in modern musical theatre.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 8/31/13 at 07:16pm
Cannot remember the 'blue room illusion', can you remind me on what it is?

If the walk through door is a projection, then the projection has to be projected on something.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/1/13 at 06:16am
It's not a projection.

Blue Room Illusion is how Sam appeared and disappeared into thin air at the end of the show. It's such a complicated and lavish set up, so it's not possible to achieve on the show's tour, which is a shame.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/1/13 at 08:21am
Yes I remember now, but was unaware of what the illusion was called. I cannot remember what they did on tour now?

The door changes to a different door for the illusion, thats when the picture frame comes on to hide the door.

What illusions were in Ghost?

The door Illusion.
Sams Death to become a Ghost .
Sam ghost trying to pick up solid object.
ghost putting hand through glass of vending machine to pick up cigarettes.
Carl's office: binders mysteriously fly to the floor, Carl levitates.
Carl's Death to become a Ghost.
Molly and Oda Mae dance, Sam appears.
Sam disappears in the ether at the end (Blue Room Illusion).

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda*****
ghostmusicalfan
Swing
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/5/13 at 05:28pm
The door illusion is so much more than the picture frame.
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/6/13 at 04:46am
yes - along with the pigtail illusion in Matilda, I think it's one of Paul's finest. But - then again - it's NOTHING compared to the bandage unveiling in The Invisible Man. I wish he'd used more of that in Ghost, to be honest!
bes888
Stand-by
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/7/13 at 08:14pm
how is the pigtail illusion done?
vassey
Stand-by
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/8/13 at 09:49am
At Stratford the 'fake' Amanda Thripp flew out of a trap door in the stage during the blackout and was pulled up with wires towards the ceiling.
mfan123
Chorus Member
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/12/13 at 12:26pm
yeah i always wondered how the pigtail illusion was done, anyone know?
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 9/12/13 at 03:47pm
Not sure what Vassey is talking about - as the way it's always been done is, and it's allmost a shame to reveal it, the pigtails wig is a big part of it. The girls is really lifted up and swung around and the rest of it is pretty easy to work out...

It's amazing stage craft!
alanstreluk
Swing
Ghost Special Effects
Posted: 1/5/14 at 06:01pm
Hi I saw the UK tour of Ghost just before Christmas and it took me a bit to work out how I think the door trick is done.

I think a simple solution is best - while Sam is downstage right the REAL door is slid off and replaced by a painted version (no reason it would be projected). The door, and area to it's right (auditorium right) is gauze and painted to exactly match the real thing. The panel to the left of the door is made of wide elasticated strips, also painted to match the set.

With clever lighting and speedy action, Sam pushes his hand through the strips and we see it lit upstage of the gauze. Then, with a very quick move he steps through the strips and stands behind the gauze area. As the rest of the upstage area is black you aren't aware that the gauze and elastic are two different surfaces - it looks like the single wall.

I spotted the elastic as you can see the slight "judder" you get with the elastic strip trick. I think the Barbarella poster frame is just placed there either to slightly block the view or as a red-herring for those working out how it's done!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in the know if this is the correct solution...

Updated On: 1/5/14 at 06:01 PM

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 40 Posts

BWW BLOGS