What should come over?

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 02:58pm
With American Idiot long gone and 9-5 still doing the rounds around the UK, which I am very grateful for both to come over.

Both were brought over by the mighty ATG which is great, what else should ATG bring over?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 03:33pm
I cant say theres much on Broadway that im that interested in seeing.

I would like to finally see Aida come over, even if it has to be ATG that finally does it. Better than nothing.

It would be nice if the mooted Newsies transfer happens too
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 04:23pm
I watched a copy of Aida whilst in New York filmed at the Palace Theater and was surprised how much I was bored, but hope it does come over as the experiemce watching a show live and on video is totally different. No reason why the show cannot still come over and play a full production, as it has played everywhere else, interesting that Disney are still holding onto the rights.

Newsies: I cannot see it coming over and doing a full West End production, but when I watched it in June, it seemed quite cheap to put on, mainly projection based with two scaffold towers. I could see this coming over the same way as American Idiot did, which would suit you right? As it means it would play thew Mayflower. I could see Bring It On doing the same too.

Also In The Heights and Next To Normal should do the same?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 04:37pm
well mayflower, birmingham hippadrome or london are all in east reach so any would do.

i dont watch bootlegs for that reason, but do have one of aida and dont find it boring personally. im sure they looked at adelphi and/or new london at one stage for a transfer.

i cant see bring it on coming over. i could see next to normal or in the heights done at a subsudised venue but not mainstream.

newsies could work as its v old school broadway and we dont have much like that over here at the moment.

how to succeed would be nice too.

hotjohn
Broadway Star
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 06:36pm
Newsies, How To Succeed, Promises Promises would all work in the West End and on tour. Next To Normal and Grey Gardens would work at the National.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/30/13 at 06:49pm
I think Newsies could work in a mid sized theatre like the Piccadilly or Victoria Palace but it would need heavy marketing given its not a known brand unlike past Disney shows.
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
What should come over?
Posted: 1/31/13 at 03:27am
Newsies is - and will never happen - Alan M has told me.

Next to Normal would never be a commercial hit so the RNT seems like a viable option - but if it were to happen, it would've happened.

Spiderman would probably play something like the O2, or a "real" theatre if one ever becomes available.

I am looking forward to seeing Title of Show - but it will be an incredibly short run, as UK general audiences would not get it, at all.

Addams Family is still being discussed, apparently.

Nice Work if you Can Get It is too close in style/idea to Crazy For You (with most of the same songs) so would have no commercial appeal (especially as CFY died a sad death in the West End)

So I guess we just have to be happy with Mormon and Once!

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
TBFL
Featured Actor
What should come over?
Posted: 1/31/13 at 10:30am
Aida was a snoozefest live in the theatre, not just on video.
Stewart A
Understudy
What should come over?
Posted: 1/31/13 at 04:25pm
I think if I was in NY at the moment I'd be hard pressed to find many shows that I'd want to spend money on seeing. I'm glad Once is opening here soon.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
What should come over?
Posted: 1/31/13 at 07:11pm
Please consider you don't have to have sit down shows now in London like Once or Book of Mormon another viable option is bringing shows over as a UK tour, just like American Idiot, you could use this business model for shows such as Bring It On, Newsies, Next To Normal and In The Heights. Also I guess this could work as producers can bring their show over and ATG are always looking to fill their ever expanding Portfolio.
ajh
Stand-by
What should come over?
Posted: 2/5/13 at 08:08am
I would love to see a UK mounting of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Although it didn't run that long in NYC I thought it was great entertainment and with a terrific score (same team as Hairspray); saw it on same visit as Book Of Mormon and actually preferred CMIYC. If we could cast it well enough here, I also think NEWSIES could be a hit in the West End if it was marketed well (one thing that Disney always does well).
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
What should come over?
Posted: 2/5/13 at 01:07pm
I totally agree with you about CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. I loved it when I saw it in New York. As you said, it has a fab score by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, and the book by Terrence McNally was both funny and genuinely moving. Plus, it is not just your run-of-the-mill screen to stage adaptation and is instead trying to do something different with the material (such as the TV Variety Show framing device, which at least for me, worked really well). I don't get a lot of the criticism this show received, and I think it could potentially do really well over here if marketed in the right way ("From the Creators of HAIRSPRAY", "Based on the Stephen Spielberg Film" etc). I also think they could bring over Aaron Tveit to reprise his role as Frank Abagnale, Jr. if they exploited his role in the "Les Mis" film. I would also love Norbert Leo Butz to come over, but wonder just how viable this would be. They were both seriously awesome!

I also want the recent Broadway revival of FOLLIES to make its way over the pond, though I doubt that this is even a possibility now. It's a show that I DESPERATELY want to see. I also doubt that the revival of PORGY & BESS will make it over here, even though I would really love it to.

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
Updated On: 2/5/13 at 01:07 PM

Message Board

Heathers the Musical 6 Posts
Water Babies 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS