Les Miserables soundtrack

Posner11
Chorus Member
Posted: 1/6/13 at 05:05pm
cant be the only one who got this early from Dress Circle? - once I got use to the slower arrangements than recent productions it actually great to hear a movie soundtrack which makes the music its own rather than a copy or lesser version than the stage show - its certainly making it even more of a need to see the movie when it comes out this week - Anne Hathaway has been the standout performer for me on first listen - with it being highlights only it does interupt the flow sometimes with tracks ending or shortened but have to admits its great to rediscover the lyrics and riffs which I fell in love for on hearing for the first time way back at the start
rockyhorrorfan
Stand-by
Posted: 1/7/13 at 08:28am
I'm waiting for the complete soundtrack to be released. Not making the same mistake I did with the Evita soundtrack
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/7/13 at 09:05am
Is a complete soundtrack of the "Les Mis" film being released? Are there any plans to release a complete recording?
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
Posner11
Chorus Member
Posted: 1/9/13 at 05:09pm
Dress circle have advised that only the highlights are planned for release and it would be rare for Cammeron not to make extra cash by releasing the full and highlights versions as he has before with his shows.
- as the album really is the films score recorded live there presumably is not a fully recorded score as per other film musicals - it really is wonderful the way Boublil and Schonberg have allowed their score to be opened up and changed to make the film work even while keeping the core and feel of the show intact - while I strongly recommend buying the CD it does have the problem from the fact songs are changed or end sharply as presumably in the film the next scene cuts in so I would guess it would be hard to make a viable tracked album for release.

I would expect with Les Miserables movie becoming a massive hit we will get a special version with some of the recordings takes they did but do not use in the film such as the angry Dream used in the film and the more sorrowful one they used in the trailer.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/18/13 at 07:22am
Can I just have a rant about this recording? I have just finished listening to it for the first time this morning.

Surely the "highlights" could have been better selected? Yes, I know these weren't on the CD before I bought it, but "A Little Fall of Rain" "Who Am I" and "Do You Hear The People Sing" are glaring emissions. "Do You Hear The People Sing" particularly was my highlight of the film and I would have loved to have that specific arrangement on record. The way it was used as a protest and an anthem of the Revolution was truly stunning and it propelled the dramatic action in a way that it just doesn't in the stage production, making me appreciate the song anew.

Furthermore, the songs that ARE on the CD, are drastically cut down, particularly "Look Down", which only includes Hugh's solo line and then jumps straight to his meeting with Javert. None of the other solos are on there. "The Bishop" section, no doubt included because of Colm Wilkinson's contribution, is also cut down, as well as the "Epilogue" which starts at Fantine's entrance, therefore missing (for me) the most moving moment in the ENTIRE musical and film where Valjean is alone, about to die and sings the beautiful music "Alone at the end of my days" (and so on). If you are going to include these on a Highlights recording, surely you would want them to be heard as they are in the film? It wasn't like there wasn't enough space remaining on the CD for these things to be included. All in all, a wasted opportunity!

Also, the performances don't have the same emotional impact on CD as they do on film. Despite some of my reservations, the film does get a visceral emotional reaction from the audience that doesn’t translate to the CD and instead just highlights the technical weaknesses of SOME of the cast and this doesn’t make for a nice listening experience.

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) ****
jaqs
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/18/13 at 11:04am
Totally agree about being disappointed about the omissions.
Badly selected.
rockyhorrorfan
Stand-by
Posted: 1/21/13 at 06:33am
Russell Crowe has tweeted that there are talks of a complete 48 track recording but you have to let Universal Pictures know via Twitter (@UniversalPics) that there's a demand.
Posner11
Chorus Member
Posted: 2/6/13 at 06:11pm
Has everyone sent a tweet as per rockyhorrorfan note above to request Universal release the whole score - we need to hear every note the wonderful Anne Hathaway emotes!
and now having finally seen the film I can see how much of the score is missing from this cd - with the massive sucess of the film and more importantly the soundtrack highlights cd surely the full release has to come out?
jaqs
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/15/13 at 07:39am
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/15/13 at 08:14am
Updated On: 2/15/13 at 08:14 AM
dgjbear
Featured Actor
Posted: 2/15/13 at 08:47am
Shocking. I hope everyone downloads it free via file sharing sites.
mrcacou
Featured Actor
Posted: 2/15/13 at 09:26am
I have to agree with you dgjbear. They could have announced it in the first place.
In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!
rockyhorrorfan
Stand-by
Posted: 2/17/13 at 05:51am
I knew they'd finally release a complete recording. They did the same with the Evita soundtrack. It's just a good way to rip people off.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/17/13 at 06:20am
If the film had flopped completely or done comparable to the Phantom film it wouldnt be released. However its a huge hit critically and commercially.

Message Board

Rock You out by May? 39 Posts

BWW BLOGS