Smash on DVD

Taboolie2
Chorus Member
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/1/13 at 04:40pm
I was unfortunately unable to receive this on my TV package. I am now considering spending my Christmas voucher on the box set. Can you advice me whether this would be wise or a dreadful mistake. I like series 1 of Glee, Will & Grace, Will Chase but I am not keen on the latest series of Glee and female voices (sorry but I just prefer male voices).
Advice please - thank you.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/2/13 at 03:39am
the novelty of glee wore off for me very early on and will and grace was ok, it had its moments. Smash isnt a comedy though, although there is humour. The writing is stronger than glee too.

It is mainly female singers but often backed by ensemble and dance numbers. i dont remember the singing to be excessive, if it was i wouldnt have enjoyed it. i like female voices but dont care for diva worship and couldnt care less about riffs and the like. the original songs are very good anf i ghought the performances and characters were on the whole, strong.

Overall i really liked this Smash and am looking forward to season 2. I think if youre a fan of musicals its worth a look
TBFL
Featured Actor
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/2/13 at 05:34am
The first few episodes were good, the last few were also very good, but the middle ones?? Yikes. It went off the rails, big time. It was all over the place...

Still, i would definitely reccommend buying it. It was fun to watch the soap opera version of what its like to write a musical (albeit one without a book.....) And you have the huge benefit of being able to fast forward through some of the terrible pop song covers they do (the bowling ally, anyone??) Also it will allow you to appreciate season 2 so much more, because alot of it can only get better from the first.

Cant write anymore..... I'M IN TECH!! :)
jaqs
Broadway Star
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/3/13 at 09:51am
Its a fun series overall, with some stunning performances but the episodes were of wildly inconsistent quality.

I wouldnt pay for it, but I am cheap.
Pip-boy
Swing
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/4/13 at 12:28pm
A fabulous first few episodes but as has been said it did falter somewhat in the middle. But some great numbers, some good story arcs and a great cast - Angelica Houston was particularly terrific.
And it did get back on track in the second half and overall I loved it and can't wait for series 2

Pip-boy
Swing
Smash on DVD
Posted: 1/4/13 at 12:29pm
A fabulous first few episodes but as has been said it did falter somewhat in the middle. But some great numbers, some good story arcs and a great cast - Angelica Houston was particularly terrific.
And it did get back on track in the second half and overall I loved it and can't wait for series 2

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...

Message Board

BWW BLOGS