Comscore

One Man, Two Guvnors

WestEndFan2
Swing
One Man, Two Guvnors
Posted: 11/12/12 at 05:52am
I went to see One Man, Two Guvnors on Saturday and thought it was easily one of the best comedy plays I have seen for a very long time. Initially I was concerned that the show would rely heavily on slapstick comedy to get its laughs but I was very wrong, the script is cleverly written and balances just the right amount of stereotypes, slapstick comedy and wit to keep the audience laughing and absorbed in the story.

Owain Arthur played a seemingly effortless Francis Hensall and I could almost believe he is genuinely that upbeat and hilarious in real life! Gemma Whelan was fantastic and I particularly enjoyed Ben Mansfield as the hoity-toity Stanley Stubbers. The show was able to interact and induce laughs using the audience (including an incident with a man and a hummus sandwich which genuinely had Owain Arthus in stitches) and even draw members of the audience up on to the stage without it being too panto-cheesy!

Credit must also go to the skiffle band that played in between scenes and at the interval capturing the 1960's Brighton scene perfectly!

I would have loved to have seen James Corden in the main role, but throughly enjoyed watching Owain and felt he really nailed the role of Francis! I have since heard that not only is the play being extended and touring in 2013 but the comedian Rufus Hound will be taking over the lead from Owain Arthur. He has some tough acts to follow and I would definitely be intrigued to see how he does! Plus this is one play I wouldn't mind seeing again.

If you haven't see this one yet, I highly recommend it!
SoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
One Man, Two Guvnors
Posted: 11/12/12 at 06:58am
Great review-and I'm really relieved to hear you say it doesn't rely on slapstick. I've got tickets for the tour in January and was starting to regret agreeing to go. I loathe slapstick humour and was worried I'd be sitting through a night of cringeworthy 'gags'. Glad to know that's not the case!

Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
DanielWhit
Swing
One Man, Two Guvnors
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:07pm
There's certainly a bit of slapstick (but then it would feel more out of place if there weren't), however the book itself is extremely strong and never relies on the visual to get through the performance.
mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
One Man, Two Guvnors
Posted: 11/13/12 at 03:31am
Agreed. But if you're slapstick allergic, SOL, you might want to take a mild antihistamine before you go.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Updated On: 11/13/12 at 03:31 AM
SoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
One Man, Two Guvnors
Posted: 11/13/12 at 07:03am
I'm sure I'll live. Otherwise I find a large glass of Merlot has a similar effect. A full bottle and I may just sleep through the whole thing....
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/

Message Board

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement