Merrily We Roll Along at The Menier Chocolate Factory Onsale Now!

ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Have booked twice already, with what looks one of the most exciting casts in recent years!

Playing the lead roles are Damian Humbley (The Last 5 Years; Little Shop of Horrors) as Charley Kringas, Olivier award winner and Tony nominee Jenna Russell (Sunday in the Park with George) as Mary Flynn and Mark Umbers (Sweet Charity) as Franklin Shepard. Olivier nominee Josefina Gabrielle (Sweet Charity) returns to the Menier to play the role of Gussie Carnegie along with Glyn Kerslake (Road Show) who plays Joe Josephson.

We are also delighted to welcome to the Chocolate Factory Clare Foster (Crazy For You) playing Beth Spencer and Zizi Strallen (Rock of Ages) who will play Meg Kincaid.
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain ****
David Somerville
Swing
Fantastic cast! Just booked and looking forward to it.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Booked a couple of days ago before the cast was announced.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
I've had today's general onsale date in my diary since the spring.

This cast was such a magnificent bonus, though!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain ****
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
I decided to take out one of their new memberships so was able to book on Monday. Really looking forward to seeing Jenna Russell again after Into The Woods and Soho Cinders as well as Mark Umbers from Sweet Charity and My Fair Lady.
zyx987
Stand-by
Booked as well, but I will have a bit of a wait to see it as I can't get there till January.
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Am super excited by this. Great casting. Got my tickets for November :)
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Just curious. Is it going to be the original or revised production?
mallardo
Broadway Legend
I hope they're doing the revised version used by Encores in New York last season and spectacularly recorded. I trust everyone here has the CD? If not, get it, it's amazing. A revelation.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Updated On: 9/12/12 at 02:31 PM
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
They could do a lot worse than the Donmar version (in fact, since every revision, and there have been MANY, has added something of value, they could do a lot worse than to splice stuff together!). Also, it may bear similarities to the Haymarket production given that that's Maria Friedman's experience of it.
mickeyjotheatre.webs.com

2014 Theatre: One Man Two Guvnors**** Coriolanus*** M For Medea* Wicked***** Gaslight***** Rent: In Concert** War Horse**** Birdsong*** Romeo and Juliet** Worst Wedding Ever** Good People***** Derren Brown: Infamous***** Blithe Spirit*** The Phantom of the Opera***** Urinetown**** Other Desert Cities***** Betty Blue Eyes*** King Lear***
abitoftap
Broadway Star
I was concerned the not inexpensive Menier membership schemes (when you also have to travel from Norwich!) would snag all the decent seats for future shows. Doesn't seem to be the case..even got a couple of meal deals (for the same price and next to the new "premium" seats).
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
The current licenced version is basically the Haymarket production. I can't imagine them veering too far from this. I do wonder, though, whether or not they will use the overture.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
The only Merrily I have ever liked was the Donmar version. Which was the only one that used the original book and score (with some slight interpolations). The new version is so bad Michael Grandage had to mislead Furth and Sondheim who (because of how hurt and paranoid they became after the original's reviews) only license the lesser Haymarket/York version, and let them think he was doing the approved Merrily.

The Encores version was abysmal. Bad to mediocrely cast and horribly staged (by the man who did a lot of the original early 90's Merrily editing, the once wonderful James Lapine), I can't imagine that cast CD would be any pleasure to listen to at all, but I don't know cause you'd have to pay me to listen to it.
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Why wouldn't they use the overture? There's also a wonderful entre'act newly fashioned and orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick on the new cast recording.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Tickets booked for later on in the run.

Thinking about how they like to theme the meal deal menu to the show I thought they'd be serving coffee, dessert, mains and then starters but apparently not. :-S

https://www.menierchocolatefactory.com/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=E6A88170-176E-4528-AF67-02D0221C2AF3&sessionlanguage=
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Just booked for Merrily on December 8th! Really excited about seeing this. What an awesome cast!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Same date as me bob8rich.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Same date as me bob8rich.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
That's cool, rockyhorrorfan - would be nice to get a chance to say hello. Have you booked for the matinee or evening? (I've booked for the evening)
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Evening. Going to see Daddy Long Legs in the afternoon.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I will be seeing Daddy Long Legs on Friday 7th!
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
I'll be at 12th Night on 7th.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
The Stephen Sondheim Society are in on December 8th as well, so it's obviously going to be a high calibre audience that day!!!
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Never knew I was high calibre.
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
I'm not high calibre after all. Got my dates mixed up. I'm booked to see the show on 6th December.
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
I'm desperate for first preview thoughts, anybody seen this yet?
mickeyjotheatre.webs.com

2014 Theatre: One Man Two Guvnors**** Coriolanus*** M For Medea* Wicked***** Gaslight***** Rent: In Concert** War Horse**** Birdsong*** Romeo and Juliet** Worst Wedding Ever** Good People***** Derren Brown: Infamous***** Blithe Spirit*** The Phantom of the Opera***** Urinetown**** Other Desert Cities***** Betty Blue Eyes*** King Lear***

Page:

Message Board

Stellar West End 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS