Daddy Long Legs musical at London's new St James Theatre

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Just announced on The Stage that the Paul Gordon/John Caird musical Daddy Long Legs will open at the St James Theatre (London's newest theatre,located in Victoria) on October 31.

This is the most exciting musical theatre news of the year IMO! I've heard songs from the score and they're brilliant. I LOVE Paul Gordon's work - in fact I have honestly never heard a Paul Gordon song I have not loved - wonderful scores for the musicals Emma & Lucky Break, etc, and his Jane Eyre score is simply stunning.

Some highlights from the production of Daddy Long Legs at the Rubicon theatre in Ventura, California here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqLJtIb9RLI&feature=player_embedded

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph*****
Updated On: 6/27/12 at 08:54 AM
TBFL
Featured Actor
I have 2009 cast recording and its definitely a show i'll be booking for. Thanks for the heads up!
peggyb2
Chorus Member
News like this almost makes up for Viva Forever.Wasn't there a rather sweet black and white film of the same name?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
There was indeed a B&W Daddy Long Legs movie with Fred Astaire & Leslie Caron and songs by Johnnny Mercer. Both the movie and this new stage show are based on the novel by Jean Webster
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph*****
alterego
Broadway Legend
I was about to mention that bob8rich. The DADDY LONG LEGS film musical you mention started life as a London stage musical called LOVE FROM JUDY. I believe it played the Palace Theatre in the early 1950's. A very young Barbara Windsor appeared in it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Barbra Windsor was indeed in the chorus of the London production that played the Saville theatre in London from 1951 , she then toured the UK with it for 2 years.

Also in the London cast was another newcomer, June Whitfield!

The London cast recording was rereleased on CD a few years back.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
LOVE FROM JUDY was yet another musical adaptation of Jean Webster's novel - with a score by Hugh Martin (Meet Me At St Louis) and Timothy Gray - which premiered in London in 1952 (3 years before the Johnny Mercer scored film Daddy Long Legs). It finally got its New York premiere in 2003 in a concert staging in the Musicals Tonight series.

Both the Martin/Gray and Mercer scores are lovely. But I think that Gordon's new score is by far the strongest.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Does anyone know the date of the final performance. I know the show following it starts on 12th December. If it finishes on 8th December I could catch it on 5th December. If it's before then I won't get to see it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
See thread about opening of the new theatre.

8th Dec!
Updated On: 6/28/12 at 11:31 AM
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Saw this yesterday and adored it, one for incurable romantics everywhere. A two hander with a beauutiful score that really remninded me of Howard Goodall's Love Story it also has the two young leads who created the roles in the original US production who are incredible. It's only on for a few weeks, but definitely one to catch while you can. As usual I've rambled extensively on my blog.
Daddy Long Lega
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Seeing this on Friday Dec 7 - can't wait! Love every song I've ever heard of Paul Gordon's. Hope this show achieves the success his writing deserevs.

Had problems booking a ticket via the theatre website though - but emailed the box office and the lady who replied was really lovely and VERY helpful in making sure I got the seat I needed. Better service than most West End theatres!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I saw this, this evening and is a quite enjoyable piece of theatre.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
DeNada
Broadway Star
Just adding to the general chorus of approval on Daddy Long Legs, which I saw last night. It may be a little "on one level" - the score, while lovely, is a little repetitive at times, and the story is fairly slight - but when it's performed and staged so beautifully it's really not an issue.

The St James is a very smart venue, isn't it? The high rake in the auditorium really gives good sightlines everywhere.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS