Comscore

you DON't take children to the theatre PEOPLE!!

taboo123 Profile Photo
taboo123
Broadway Legend
YOU DON'T take a small child to the theatre, people.
YOU JUST DON'T!!
If you know they can't sit still for more than 15 minutes, there is no point.
and you DON'T give them a GAMEBOY to keep them entertained.
You don't let them hack and cough over other people in front and of the sides of you. or let them hit other people with their lollipop.

GET A FRIGGIN BABYSITTER!!!
if not--DON'T BRING A CHILD to the THEATRE!!

thanks for ruining my evening you selfish, pretentious twit.

there...i vented.

Updated On: 5/2/12 at 10:58 PM
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Do bring snacks to the theatre people because they sometimes get hungry. Also, the theatre people often enjoy discount coupons for tickets.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
It sounds like you just gave Ken Davenport a new idea! Gameboy seats and daycare centers so children can play on their electronic devices while their parents take in a performance. Brilliant!
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
They'll just be cultured by BEING there!

(I hate people.)
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
LOL broadway devil and while we're at it - don't bring your newborn directly from giving birth at the hospital in its car seat.

<-----craves juicy pizza
Updated On: 5/2/12 at 10:33 AM
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
But I have tickets to Book of Mormon!
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Kids are people too whack-a-doo whack-a-d00
Link
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
I think we should ask Sean and Pam Harris what they would do.
....but the world goes 'round
Roscoe Profile Photo
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
At least it wasn't the Octomom.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
ChildrenwillListen
Featured Actor
There are a lot of child friendly shows but it does not always keep them totally entertained for long enough. I agree they just shouldn't come to theatre.
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
ChildrenwillListen - Sondheim was wrong. Children won't listen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/3/12 at 04:58 PM
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
It depends on the age and maturity of the child. I've been taking my granddaughter to appropriate shows and concerts since she was five and never had a problem. She is fully engrossed by the shows she attends. We had dinner together last night and she was asking when we'd be going into the city for another show. She's also been watching operas from my DVD collection (Yes, I have to sit beside her and explain what's happening)

I think it's important for children to be exposed to the arts at an early age.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
taboo123 Profile Photo
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Dolly, i agree. I think so too.

But it is different when the child is taught how to behave and act responsibly.
This was a nightmare. The mother didn't care what the kid did, and the kid took over the section. It truly was a daycare center.

And there was no point in even getting an usher, because sadly, ushers care less.

sad sad world
orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
^If they're spending the whole show playing with Gameboys and pestering the people around them, they're not being exposed to the arts.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Was with my little sweetheart last evening and she became very annoyed when she learned that I'm going up to Boston this week for the Opening of the Pops season. She wanted to know why she couldn't come with me.

Well, I have no problem with her joining me for a Pops concert (she's on a first-name basis with Keith Lockhart!). I am, however, a retired school teacher and feel that attending school is very important. We can go to Boston at some point when her school is on holiday--maybe Memorial Day weekend.
StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
Broadway Legend
I've taken my 8 year old to the Philharmonic many times. He is mesmerized by it! Although he's getting to an age now where it's not as cool as it was when he was 6 or so.
KFTC!!!!!
wexy Profile Photo
wexy
Broadway Legend
I remember when I saw the Greenberg play "Take Me Out" which had some locker room nudity, there were ten year old girls wandering around at intermission. Thought it was inappropriate to have kids at that show.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
StockardFan
Broadway Legend
Well I would have to agree with that Wexy!
KFTC!!!!!
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
>>>"some locker room nudity"<<<

My word, that show was a Whitman's Sampler of frontal nudity!!!!
Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
C'mon now...you are telling me the theater let 12 year old girls into TAKE ME OUT? Are you trying to pull my third leg...?
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
I don't think kids are turned away by theaters the way they might be in movie theaters. I saw 10 year olds at THE FULL MONTY.
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Levels of appropriateness are relative to the maturity of the child. When I was younger, I saw shows that would probably have been deemed "inappropriate," but my parents knew I could handle it.

Unfortunately, as others have said, parenting today too often comes down to "I want to do this, kids be damned." I saw having dinner the other night at a very expensive, very adult restaurant, and seated two tables down was a couple relatively close in age to me and their two young children. This is not the sort of place where most children would be taken. The kids were glued to iPads, gameboys, etc throughout the entire meal. The parents didn't even acknowledge them. They obviously wanted to go out to a fancy dinner, no matter what the kids would have wanted.

As far as the theatre goes, as long as the kids are quiet and engaged (and not in diapers--another pet peeve of mine that I've unfortunately experienced firsthand) of course they should be taken to the theatre. But if not, they should be kept home until they're ready.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
My kids have been going to the theater since they were approx 5. I bring them becaue they love it, and they are mesmorized by the stage. Both my kids have remarked at times, how awful other children's behavior is, which always makes me laugh.

I find behavior at the movies to be even worse. Just the other day, I took my son to see Chimpanzee, and kids were allowed to kick seats, run up and down the aisle and continuously talk. I just don't get it. WHY is that acceptable? Because the theater has mostly children at it?
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Mama's kids would not be "mesmerized" by live theater if she didn't give them the opportunity to experience it first-hand.

I started taking Elizabeth to children's theater out here on the Island (and some of it was absolutely dreadful!). Her first show in NYC was IMAGINOCEAN (excellent!), followed by THE GAZILLION BUBBLE SHOW (also excellent). Eventually she worked her way up to PETER PAN, ANYTHING GOES and GODSPELL. In the near future she'll join me for THE FANTASTICKS.

We also go to Matinees at the local summer theater. She really wanted to see SWEENEY TODD last summer but I put the nix on that.

As far as concerts are concerned, she's been going to the Boston Pops Holiday Concerts at the Tilles Center and Carnegie Hall.

Throughout all this she's learned how to behave in the theater (EX: going to the bathroom BEFORE the show), how to sit in the
theater, how to find her seat and how to respectfully speak to an usher. Afterwards, she's learned how to behave and eat in a restaurant-- all of these are important aspects of living a civilized life.

I think this December she'll be ready for her first NUTCRACKER at Lincoln Center.
StockardFan
Broadway Legend
I took my son to a local production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat when he was still little enough to sit on my lap the whole time, and he was MESMERIZED.
KFTC!!!!!

Message Board

Assassins 21 Posts
Imelda Staunton Gypsy 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement