Whitney sings Oprah..

Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Fair enough.
AnthVoice2010
Broadway Star
I am immediately brought back to a Philadelphia concert I attended of hers in 1994 (I believe).

She was singing Aretha's, and in a way, Cissy Houston's, "Ain't no way".

At the break of the song she started talking to the girl singing the high note section (her Mother's old part)..

"See..I can sing that note but I can't hold it", Whitney said to the girl, "How are you able to hold it?"

For the next 2 minutes, Whitney Houston proceeded to repeatedly hit the note (a high D above the soprano high C) as if we weren't even in the arena.

After Whitney sang Glorious High D after Glorious High D - she shrugged her shoulders and gave up - slightly annoyed that she couldn't sing it for more than a few beats. (It should be noted: most Verdi or Puccini opera roles do not require a soprano to sing high D's at all - never mind continuously)

Everything came so easily to this woman that she completely ignored the astonishing fact she could sing a high note some sopranos at the Metropolitan Opera House didn't even have .......and focused, instead, on the fact she couldn't hold it.

Without the jokes, the bad press, the awful performances, the sadness in her eyes.....she will take her place next to Judy Garland as the two greatest natural vocal talents this country ever produced.

Her legacy is intact. She's gone to the rock.

"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday
Updated On: 2/13/12 at 02:22 PM
javero
Broadway Legend
Well put, Anth...

It ain't what I think of you, it's what you is.
Updated On: 2/13/12 at 02:54 PM
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
she will take her place next to Judy Garland as the two greatest natural vocal talents this country ever produced...

True Statement!!
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Whitney Houston Died For Your Sins
Posted: 2/13/12 at 04:12pm
I really did love me some Whitney from like fifth grade through ninth grade. Her first two albums were the best. I can go years without listening to them, but any time I hear them I’m totally transported back to my early early teens. Like many a gay boy who didn’t know he could be a gay boy, I over identified with ALL of those songs.

Whitney was my first concert. She’s was touring around the time her second album, Whitney, came out. After the great Whitney Houston concert of 1988 – where I scandalously saw my ex-girlfriend Angie and huffed right past her without a word - I came home with the souvenir program.

This was before the time when EVERY celebrity had freakishly perfect teeth. But Whitney’s teeth sparkled on this program, and my mom just kept going on and on about how were teeth were too perfect to be real, and I was like, uh, I wanna dance with somebody who loves me? Then in back of the program in the Special Thanks it said, “and to Dr. Daniels – Thank you for keeping me smiling.” When my mom read that she actually exclaimed, “Ah-ha!” like she’d found the smoking gun or something.

I'm still a little suprised at how my social media exploded over Whitney's death. I came home from dinner with my man on Saturday night to find EVERYONE I knew online posting Whitney links. I mean, it tends to happen with all celebrity deaths, but Whitney's really does seem to have struck a nerve with a lot of us.

I dunno what I'm trying to say, so I'm probably just sounding ridiculous at this point. But that's fitting, as Whitney herself was always a little (sometimes more than a little) ridiculous.
Broadway Joe
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/13/12 at 04:19pm
Jordan - There's a lot more comments like that on other sites as well, there are a lot of racists in this country who don't just follow fox news

Just take a look here...

http://www.reddit.com/search?q=whitney+houston
Updated On: 2/13/12 at 04:19 PM
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/13/12 at 04:27pm
I don't think Susie Bright's only-women-get-accused-of-drug-use is correct.

I accused Macaulay Culkin of being a meth head and he's not even dead yet.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Plum
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 04:36am
Phyllis, I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the Internet response to this, too, though maybe I shouldn't have been. Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey were my singing touchstones when I was a kid. I taught myself to sing by listening to them on the radio. I guess a lot of other people of my (heavy Internet user) generation feel that way, too.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 07:39am
Listening to Whitney & Mariah's "When You Believe" has always made me a little sad. The song is incredible and the vocal performances can't be matched but knowing for many years now that both of those voices are gone forever is really a shame and that those voices were destroyed by not taking care of them makes it even sadder.
Jay Lerner-Z
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 01:14pm
So, so sad.

I saw Whitney on her Nothing But Love tour in 2010, when I was in Ireland. It was the time of the Icelandic ash cloud, but rather than cancel the show (as others had done), Whitney sailed into Dublin on the ferry. The audience seemed to really appreciate it, and gave her great support and warmth all night - and okay, her voice was not at its peak but the crowd (or Whitney) didn't seem to care...it was clear she was trying, and she gave a great show nonetheless. Well able to communicate, and she even invited a child from the audience to sing The Greatest Love of All with her, which was a real "awww" moment.

No walkouts, loud thunderous applause, and she had the crowd feeling they had gotten their money's worth.

It wasn't all bad.
AKA Mama Rose
DAME
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 04:00pm
Sounds like one of Liza's shows.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
fflagg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 05:23pm
So Whitney is better than Streisand?

Please.

Whitney was slick, polished, and superficial like a wind-up doll with Clive Davis calling all of the shots. I don't care what notes she could or could not sing, it is the feeling and the interpretive skills behind the singing that matter.

Judy, Barbra, Sinatra, Bennett, and a handful of others. NOT Whitney Houston.
Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/14/12 at 06:12pm
What is up with you old, tired, craggly, bitter queens STFU and get ye to the nursing home!
AnthVoice2010
Broadway Star
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/14/12 at 06:54pm
Not sure if this has been posted yet... Whitney sings from Rigoletto and a sensational I will always love you....this is real greatness folks..

Whitney sings opera
"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday
Updated On: 2/14/12 at 06:54 PM
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 12:10am
Okay so can we be DONE with sitting shiva for Miss Whitney Houston yet?

I loved the voice, hated the messiness, but I gotta move on now.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 12:17am
I clicked one of those "voice of the universe" links on this board and frankly, all I heard was drawn out self-indulgence and a LOT of yelling. I guess I just don't get it, and that's fine, not everything's for everybody. And I also understand the hyperbole that follows a sudden death. That's fine too.

But jeez, I'm glad you said it PJ, because I know you're a fan of that kind of thing and get it in a way I can't comprehend. Has enough been said yet? Has the apex of platitudes been reached?

Oh, and this happened: Sony raises price on Whitney recording 30 minutes after her death
yes, you
Updated On: 2/15/12 at 12:17 AM
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 08:20am
Did you happen to see The View on Monday? Barbara was in rare form, saying Whitney "Took a sedative, was on drugs and drowned in the bathtub." When Whoopi tried to argue a little, Barbara stopped her and said that that was EXACTLY what happened. Whoopi tried to keep it classy and even Elisabeth tried to reel it back in, but Barbara would have none of it.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 09:43am
"Okay so can we be DONE with sitting shiva for Miss Whitney Houston yet? I loved the voice, hated the messiness, but I gotta move on now."

By all means. Feel free to ignore any threads you see on the topic.

Anth, I loved those clips, which were new to me.
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 11:34am
People are going batsh*t crazy on my Facebook timeline over the fact that Christie announced flags will be flown at half staff in NJ on Saturday.
It's funny, I don't remember the outcry when he did the same exact thing for Clarence Clemons.
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 11:55am
That's because he died a death that people approved of--not one complicated by the "tsk-tsking" that addiction inspires.
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 11:56am
Christie's just looking for a younger black demographic to try to convince to vote for him.
Et al, lah ... Poof! Cheyenne Jackson ordered me a drink at Standing Ovations 2 waayyyyyy before Girly hung out with him in the dressing room and he tickled D2.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Opera..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 12:12pm
Reg you're absolutely right about the ignoring thing. Sometimes when there are a LOT of threads on a title and links to click within them, they become like Pandora's box.
yes, you
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Oprah..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 12:25pm

I thought it said "Whitney sings Oprah."
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Oprah..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 03:15pm
It seems very funny to me that many of the republicans on my friends list are totally pissed off about Christie doing this. Democrats don't seem to mind so much.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Whitney sings Oprah..
Posted: 2/15/12 at 04:21pm
Good...maybe they won't vote for him again.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 121 Posts

BWW BLOGS