Educating Rita & Shirley Valentine to run in rep at Menier?

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats the rumour, the Menier will have both shows in rep.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They haven't learned the lesson that they are not too good with plays. ('Rookery Nook' and 'Talent' got luke warm reviews and audience receptions!) Great choice of plays tho.
Interesting to see who will be cast - its 20 years and more since they were last in London.
I saw Julie Walters doing 'Rita' at the Piccadilly when I didn't know who Julie Walters was!

Only watched the movie of 'Shirley' a few months back- great movie

Transfered from the Donmar Warehouse (the original one) for a long run at the Piccadilly in 1980

Pauline Collins as the original Shirley at the Vaudeville THeatre.
The show returned to the West End twice more after its original run. Paula Wilcox and Hannah Gordon followed.
The play holds a record at the Vaudeville.
When the show opened to the most incredible reviews the box office went crazy. (I was recruited in from the Adelphi next door to help!) By the end of the first week every single seat for its 13 week run was sold out.

Updated On: 2/2/10 at 05:11 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paula Wilcox? I remember years ago when Paula Wilcox toured Australia in MY FAT FRIEND hot off the success of Man About The House.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just to clarify these two announced shows will be plays?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Menier have done good plays but the only one that got a transfer was Dealer's Choice. I like the idea of Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine in rep, interesting who they cast for both Rita and Shirley. Both are very different plays with Shirley Valentine a one woman play and Educating Rita a two hander.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea, POL there are two classic British comedies of the 80s. Both well over due a good West End revival.

I was thinking (dangerous for me I know!) if the casting will be one actress playing both Shirley and Rita?
Interesting if it was, but audiences seeing both could easily get a little confused between the same actress talking to a wall one night and an Oxford don the next!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understand Willy Russell has been updating the script for its anniversary. I was nearly involved in a tour last year, but it looks as though he has opted for this route back into town with it. It's still has fantastic heart. (Shirley Valentine doesn't interest me, though).
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love both but my love of 'Shirley Valentine' almost got lost after seeing Ruth Madoc doing it in her native Welsh accent! Not nice!

I'd love a revival of 'Breezeblock Park', I think one of his funniest.

Updated On: 2/3/10 at 09:03 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would imagine that Shirley and Rita will be played by the same actress. I think if the Menier can pull it off then they could have another West End transfer to go alongside Sweet Charity.

hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rita and Shirley back on stage excites me greatly. I saw "Blood Brothers" last Tuesday night (for the second time in 22 years) and thought how fantastic it would be to see these two Willy Russell plays.