Comscore

RIP Donna Summer

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/20/12 at 10:25pm
Shhh! Donna's up in heaven and sprinkling us with sparkly stars...

"I was raised to be charming, not sincere"
Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/20/12 at 10:43pm
Aaahhhh....yes. In the immortal words of Joel Schumacher:

"Sweat and Speedos and Donna Summer and gorgeous beauty and being wrecked out of our brains. That’s what it was all about.”
You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Gaveston2
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/20/12 at 11:47pm
^^^How apt! Exactly as I remember it.
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 12:09am
I'm glad to know that the aging process (and the surgical steps to combat the aging process) is reversed in heaven!
Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 12:19am
The Mormons, I think, tell us that in heaven, we get our bodies back in their 'best, original state'.

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 12:19 AM
Gaveston2
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 12:43am
But the Zoroastrians taught that we will live forever in our bodies as they are when we die. This, I suppose, was the original motivation behind the dictum to "die young and leave a good-looking corpse".

(In fact, Zoroastrian culture, like most ancient cultures, honored the elderly and wasn't obsessed with youth. Idiots.)

ETA: Just to be clear, the "idiots" above is a joking reference to the ancient Zoroastrians for their "foolish" reverence toward the elderly. It isn't addressed to readers of this post.
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 12:43 AM
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 03:14am
Not only my favorite Donna Summer album but my favorite album cover as well. Four Seasons of Love is my second favorite followed by A Love Trilogy and Live and More with that glorious, soaring MacArthur Park Suite

CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 03:14am
Double post.
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 03:14 AM
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 08:22am

"Sweat and Speedos and Donna Summer and gorgeous beauty and being wrecked out of our brains. That’s what it was all about.”

I was part of that scene, and that's how I remember it too!

<-----craves juicy pizza
TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 08:55am
Man, she was so beautiful.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:11am
While I was also too young to participate in the scene during the rise of Donna Summer, the first 45 single I ever bought for myself was On the Radio. I was only 9 years old and in love with her voice and the song. Just a few months later, my brother gave me my first album for my birthday...ABBA's Voulez Vous. I was pretty transparent.

I also remember some TV special where Steve Allen did a dramatic reading of the lyrics to Hot Stuff and I thought it was absolutely HILARIOUS. Anyone else remember that?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 11:11 AM
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 11:42am
I remember it well. I just tried to post the link I found, but it's saying that it's been removed from Youtube.
Et al, lah ... Poof! Cheyenne Jackson ordered me a drink at Standing Ovations 2 waayyyyyy before Girly hung out with him in the dressing room and he tickled D2.
Updated On: 5/21/12 at 11:42 AM
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 04:32pm
Those Francesco Scavullo shots that Casablanca used to get for Donna Summer really were stunning--they don't take promo photos like that anymore.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/21/12 at 09:37pm
A really nice read from someone who came out as Donna Summer hit her peak http://popdust.com/2012/05/18/donna-summer-me-and-the-first-days-of-disco/
MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/22/12 at 12:59pm
OutQ radio on xm has been replaying a wonderful (and pretty gay) interview with Donna from when her Crayons album came out. I'm not sure if it's online anywhere.

Donna as Aunt Oona on Family Matters (fast forward to 1:20)
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 5/23/12 at 12:59 PM
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 5/23/12 at 05:35am
Thanks for the link--I somehow never grew up with Family Matters, even though at some point I think I watched the rest of the TGIF lineup. Pretty random!

One last link (well, for now), this is the best take on her music I've read, from Alfred Soto Resident Advisor, an electronic music webzine I like. It also has a nice re-appraisal of her 80s work (although I think to imply that her work then was as often as strong as her 70s peak is overstating things). And yes, they're pretty fair about how awful her "autobiography" is (when you open a memoir to find that the print is larger than your nephew's picture books, you know it's not a good sign).

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1611
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 6/13/12 at 03:47pm
Donna's 1989 apology letter has resurfaced after all these years:

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
RIP Donna Summer
Posted: 6/13/12 at 04:03pm
Ha, I was wondering whether to post that. I did like that the former ACT UP member who tracked down the letter pointed out on his blog that it was probably not the best idea of Donna to use the bible to apologize to "the gays", as lovely a quote as it is. Sigh.

Page:

Message Board

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement