Profile for Scripps2
Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Scripps2
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Scripps2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 1 - 22
Profile: I go to the theatre to be stimulated, moved and challenged. Sometimes I get all three and occasionally I get my mind jolted as well. Particular thanks to Messrs Chekhov, Ibsen and Sondheim.

Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Brent Barrett
Daniel Evans
Julia McKenzie
Emma Williams

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?  Oct 4 2015, 07:28:36 AM

I saw the original London production with Tom Conti (trying to sing) and Gemma Craven twice. I was a child, sat next to my parents, and asked them what the joke about fetching the pistachio nuts for afterwards meant.

I didn't get a satisfactory answer.

• Musicals based in Asia  Sep 23 2015, 02:34:17 PM

• Patricia Routledge - Climb Ev'ry Mountain  Sep 20 2015, 05:35:32 PM

One of the greatest calamities of my theatregoing career was missing her performance in The Corn is Green, twenty-odd years ago, due to car problems whilst driving to the theatre.

• OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith  Sep 20 2015, 05:08:38 PM

Another double-Olivier award winner, Samantha Spiro, did Funny Girl at Chichester about five years ago. Samantha is a great talent and both her Oliviers, unlike Sheridan, are for Best Actress in a Musical.

But, unlike goodness-knows-how-many recent Chichetser productions, it didn't transfer.

So Sheridan is undoubtedly the draw here. I knew tickets would evaporate but even I didn't anticipate how fast; I completely failed to secure any.

• Question about CATS and the song Memory  Sep 10 2015, 03:24:41 PM

I too am pretty sure that Judi Dench was also scheduled to play the Gumbie Cat as well as Grizabella.

I had no idea about Geraldine Gardner's tragic and untimely end; I had just assumed she was one of those amazing performers who disappeared from public view. I can remember seeing her as Sheila in A Chorus Line as a child and my father was keen to see her in anything after that. I'm pretty sure there's some video footage around of her as Dick Whittington in the

• BBC Proms season 2015  Aug 7 2015, 06:39:43 PM

Whoops - Jamie Parker seemed to steal that!

I thought he just about got away with the singing in Assassins earlier this year; I certainly wasn't expecting him to sound so polished and suave tonight.

• Sondheim on Broadway: When?  Aug 6 2015, 02:13:49 PM

I saw the same production as Kad and agree entirely: it worked very well.

I'd seen two previous productions of Whistle, one of which was terrible (directed by a pre-zeitgeist John Doyle) and a passable interpretation at London's Bridewell Theatre. I've certainly seen worse musicals than Anyone can Whistle.

• Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?  Aug 3 2015, 06:49:37 PM

Is it true that they're relocating it to 1930's Lancashire and making it about a Gracie Fields type of character?

• BBC Proms season 2015  Jul 28 2015, 03:54:43 PM

And, yes, as you say Mr Nowack, all the concerts are broadcast live on BBC Radio 3.

But not all are televised, and those that are are not necessarily televised live.

• BBC Proms season 2015  Jul 28 2015, 03:50:46 PM

I thought Bryn did surprisingly well as Tevye, particularly during the talking parts. Yes, he sounded like Topol but he was a lot more engaging than the rest of the cast who were very much opera singers trying to act. And he think his Tevye was better acted than his Sweeney at the concert performance I saw. 

I understood, from the introduction, that the orchestral intention was to recreate the sound of the score in the original Broadway production as much as possible, removing

• BBC Proms season 2015  Jul 24 2015, 05:57:23 PM

I know there's a growing interest here in this annual summer season of concerts as American show and film music appears increasingly on the agenda. Looking thro' the season the things likely to be of interest are:

Prom 11, Fiddler on the Roof: broadcast tomorrow (25th July 2015) on BBC Radio 3 at 19:00GMT

Bryn Terfel as Tevye (!) but remember this concert season is always focussed on the music and is not about replicating a Broadway standard perform

• Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?  Jun 14 2015, 05:54:37 PM

"Just remember she's trying to mimic Cilla Black, so she had to make some vocal choices she might not make in playing Fanny."

But, as I and the television critics thought, in that bio-pic she made better vocal choices than Cilla Black ever did. 

• King Charles III  May 30 2015, 06:54:13 AM

"I don't think you can really compare them though. They are different entities exploring the same person in different ways."

So during the two-and-a-half hours between your post in this thread and your post in the other you've managed to source and watch all four hours of To Play The King? Or are you guilty of what you tried to accuse me of? Of course they are direc

• King Charles III  May 27 2015, 05:35:47 PM

Bumped for Phillypinto.

• King Charles III  May 27 2015, 05:32:22 PM

"First of all, we can't see your video."

Then use your brains and your initiative to source and to see it via another route - try to think of this as a puzzle to be solved.

"Did you even see King Charles III?"

Yes. My more detailed opinion is in the other thread with the same title. Your second clue to the puzzle lies therein.

• King Charles III  May 27 2015, 03:44:43 PM

It's been done much better before.

• Forget The Heckler and The Spectator, The Statesman was already there  Apr 24 2015, 05:08:49 PM

The article about Mr Sondheim by The Heckler in The Spectator that so incensed so many on this board last month is easily overshadowed by this far superior assessment of his career that appeared in The New Statesman in January but has just come to my attention now:

• re: 'A Little Night Music' and 'Merrily We Roll Along' Backers?  Apr 20 2015, 02:34:08 PM

Infamous in our household because it was so difficult to get hold of a copy (c. late 1970s).

I think my father missed a mortgage repayment when he got word of one being available.

• Thoughts on MERRILY's original framing device  Apr 20 2015, 02:28:59 PM

Definitely with.

Although I've seen it many times and will see it many more, the rewritten version is twee in comparison to versions with the book-ends.

• King Charles III  Apr 13 2015, 04:53:24 PM

"I'll be in London next week and I just couldn't get enthused about this one.  Planning on seeing Curious Incident and perhaps The Play That Goes Wrong or The Nether."

Haven't seen the last two but Curious Incident is definitely worth seeing.