Profile for Scripps2

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Scripps2
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Scripps2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 1 - 22
Profile: I go to the theatre to be stimulated, moved and challenged. Sometimes I get all three and occasionally I get my mind jolted as well. Particular thanks to Messrs Chekhov, Ibsen and Sondheim.

Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Brent Barrett
Daniel Evans
Julia McKenzie
Emma Williams

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Imelda Staunton to Star as Sally in West End Follies  Oct 1 2016, 02:00:18 PM

We're going to get Follies at the National vis-a-vis the Royal Court. It certainly won't be what many of the regulars here might like and raises mixed feelings within me.

Janie Dee is good casting but I agree with QueenAlice that Jo Riding would complement her better as Sally.

The great drum revolve under the Olivier stage will be fantastic for Loveland transformations. But we're in the Weismann Theatre, an early c20th auditorium with a traditional pro

• In your opinion who is the greatest playwright of the 20th century?  Sep 24 2016, 06:48:06 AM

Good debate. Here are my contributions...

Simon and Ayckbourn need to be crossed off the list because the vast majority of their bodies of work have not achieved the international recognition that others have.

I'd like to add Terrence Rattigan to the list as the British equivalent of Tennessee Williams but would then have to immediately cross him off for the reasons I cite above.

I find Sarah Kane's work very interesting but I think you have to se

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Sep 21 2016, 02:03:35 PM

I think I recognised a middle -aged James Weissenbach in the trailer - it will be very interesting to understand how this impacted on his life. I'm glad he felt able to participate.

• DEAR ANYONE - 1983 London Musical  Aug 24 2016, 01:57:03 PM

The concept album, which I had for several years but then jettisoned, was released several years prior to the stage version emerging. There was a single released of Jane Lapotaire singing I'll Put You Together Again, which was much more listenable, and which I still have but no complete OLC was released.

I don't think the show's book was a straight adaption of the TV comedy, which was called Agony and starred Maureen Lipman. This was another att

• Dream Cast Jane Krakowski  Jun 16 2016, 05:04:36 PM

I'd like to see her playing against type as the inhibited and proud Joyce in Betty Blue Eyes.

• Remembering A TIME FOR SINGING on its 50th Anniversary  May 22 2016, 01:33:58 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos Mr N. I purchased the OBC a couple of years ago and so welcome the opportunity to see the visuals in more detail.

Regarding framing devices, it would have been impossible to see the complete transformation of a valley from agriculture to industry in one lifetime (and then the redundancy of that industry, as I believe happens in the series of novels) so that sits uncomfortably with me even though I enjoy the score and there is much that is authentically Wel

• Funny Girl transfer?  Apr 30 2016, 07:35:18 AM

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and was underwhelmed by both Sheridan's performance and, more importantly, the musical itself. No one in the UK has a clue who Fanny Brice is so this musical has to stand in its own right. It makes a claim in its title to be funny and it bolsters that claim by casting one of the UK's most prodigious comic actresses. But it is not funny; it is mildly amusing at best. The Jule Styne score may be great (and the scenery-change songs that don

• Woman Of The Year rehearsal footage. HAPPY WEEKEND!  Mar 28 2016, 06:15:07 PM

Loving those "butch moves".

• Wildhorn's WONDERLAND musical to tour UK  Mar 19 2016, 07:35:33 AM

Is this an attempt to capitalise on the Damon Albran Wonderland at the National?

Looks a bit desperate if so.

• Remembering A LION IN WINTER on its 50th Anniversary  Mar 5 2016, 06:47:29 PM

PS Robert Preston as Henry II? He must have been great!

• Remembering A LION IN WINTER on its 50th Anniversary  Mar 5 2016, 06:45:41 PM

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Why oh why has no-one ever turned this into a musical?"

Search out 1975 flop Thomas and the King with a great pre-Hollywood John Williams score; some stunning sets and costumes - if you can find any photos; some fine performances - listen to Dilys Hamlett deliver Power on the OLC; some naff lyrics (although I do like the rhyme for Plantagenet); its own closing Follies-esque nightmare sequence; a

• What's with the hatred of Cats?  Jan 27 2016, 02:26:24 PM

evic said: "My point of it being so British is that..."

So what you're saying is that those who hate Cats do so because it is British?

• What's with the hatred of Cats?  Jan 23 2016, 06:04:12 AM

Evic said: "Plus it was based on poems written by a Brit."

Who was American born and didn't change his citizenship until his late thirties. 

So what was your point?

• EastEnders was brought to you by... Stephen Sondheim  Jan 14 2016, 05:45:50 PM

Initially I thought it must have been an (early) Maria Friedman recording but you can briefly see the actual vocalist in the wedding scene.

Pink bathrobe because some wedding guests got into a fight beforehand, fell into the lake and he dived in to rescue one of them despite having only learnt to swim this year - hey, it's a soap. There's also mud on the hem of Linda's wedding dress.

The episode seems to rely on the broader interpretatio

• The play or musical didn't do so well, but the movie adaptation was a hit  Jan 13 2016, 03:55:50 PM

I saw the Robert Lindsay & Joanna Lumley headed West End revival of The Lion in Winter a couple of years ago. With the gargantuan figures of Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine and Richard the Lionheart on stage, any one of whose lives could make a thrilling evening in the theatre, and a script written by James Goldman close to his Follies peak, I couldn't understand what made it such a dull evening.

I decided it must have been director Trevor Nunn's f

• EastEnders was brought to you by... Stephen Sondheim  Jan 13 2016, 03:47:34 PM

And if the link doesn't work in the US, you'll just have to use your initiative.

• EastEnders was brought to you by... Stephen Sondheim  Jan 13 2016, 03:46:40 PM
    In its climactic New Year's Day episode, the BBC soap dropped its usual theme music and used a song you may recognise. Since his name doesn't appear in the titles we'll give him some credit here:

• Gypsy Live at the Savoy  Dec 30 2015, 04:55:53 AM

I was apprehensive when I learnt this was going to be filmed as live performance in the theatre often doesn't withstand the scrutiny of TV cameras and this proved to be no exception.

So what came across extremely well when I saw it at Chichester looked exaggerated and misjudged on television.

What was immediately obvious, however, was that Peter Davision (unrecognisable even though I knew it was him) made an infinitely better Herbie than Kev

• Gypsy BBC broadcast date!  Dec 23 2015, 12:54:57 PM

It means the FBI know you watch EastEnders.

• The Sound of Music LIVE ITV  Dec 20 2015, 06:11:28 PM

Well, it got me in the end just as it always does. I'm old enough to remember my relatives who saw active service in WWII (one of whom was a prisoner in Stalagluft III) and how Nazism was a very real threat to them. This show will never be saccharine to free Europeans and to suggest otherwise is to trivialise both show and history.

It was good in the end, as Princeton points out, to see an alternative construct to the film and the emphasis this version places on the gro

Leaf in BroadwayLeaf
Half Moon Theatre
(Runs 11/24 - 11/26)
Rapunzel and the Tower of Doom in BroadwayRapunzel and the Tower of Doom
Half Moon Theatre
(Runs 11/4 - 11/5)
Wow! Said the Owl in BroadwayWow! Said the Owl
Half Moon Theatre
(Runs 1/14 - 1/14)
The Colour of Me in BroadwayThe Colour of Me
Half Moon Theatre
(Runs 1/7 - 1/7)