Theatre Awards UK 2012 Announce Winners - Sarah Ruhl's IN THE NEXT ROOM, Imelda Staunton & More!
The TMA held its annual Theatre Awards UK at London's historic Guildhall, on Sunday 28 October 2012. Scroll below for the winners!
Theatre Awards UK is the premier award ceremony celebrating theatre throughout the UK.
THEATRE AWARDS UK 2012 - THE WINNERS!
BEST NEW PLAY
• LUNGS by Duncan MacMillan, a Sheffield Theatres and Paines Plough co-production at the Crucible Studio, Sheffield
• SOUTH DOWNS by David Hare a Chichester Festival Theatre production
• IN THE NEXT ROOM by Sarah Ruhl a Theatre Royal Bath production in the Ustinov Studio ***WINNER***
BEST PERFORMANCE IN A PLAY
• Leanne Best for THE MATCH BOX a Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse production
• Henry Goodman for THE RESISTIBLE RISE OF ARTURO UI a Chichester Festival Theatre production ***WINNER***
• Tim Pigott-Smith for KING LEAR at West Yorkshire Playhouse production
BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
• Stephen Boxer for WRITTEN ON THE HEART by David Edgar a Royal Shakespeare Company Production at the Swan Theatre, Stratford-Upon-Avon
• Claire-Louise Cordwell for BEAUTIFUL THING a Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester production
• Aidan McArdle for DEMOCRACY a Sheffield Theatres production at the Crucible, Sheffield ***WINNER***
BEST MUSICAL PRODUCTION
• COMPANY directed by Jonathan Munby a Sheffield Theatres production at the Crucible, Sheffield
• THE GO-BETWEEN directed by Roger Haines a West Yorkshire Playhouse, Royal & Derngate, Northampton and Derby LIVE! production at West Yorkshire Playhouse ***WINNER***
• SWEENEY TODD directed by Jonathan Kent a Chichester Festival Theatre production
BEST PERFORMANCE IN A MUSICAL
• Michael Ball for SWEENEY TODD a Chichester Festival Theatre production
• Daniel Evans for COMPANY a Sheffield Theatres production at the Crucible, Sheffield
• Imelda Staunton for SWEENEY TODD a Chichester Festival Theatre production ***WINNER***
BEST SHOW FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
• ALICE IN WONDERLAND a New Vic Theatre production at the New Vic, Newcastle-under-Lyme
• THE CURIOUS SCRAPBOOK OF JOSEPHINE BEAN by Shona Reppe on tour ***WINNER***
• SOMETHING VERY FAR AWAY a Unicorn Theatre production
• Joe Harmston for THE FATHER by August Strindberg adapted by Laurie Slade, a Belgrade Theatre production
• Dominic Hill for KRAPP'S LAST TAPE /FOOTFALLS by Samuel Beckett a Citizens Theatre production
• Garry Hynes for DRUIDMURPHY - plays by Tom Murphy - produced by Druid Theatre Company, at Hampstead Theatre and Oxford Playhouse ***WINNER***