Kerry Ellis Returns - WICKED Becomes 14th Longest-Running West End Musical EVER!
WICKED, the smash hit musical that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, has surpassed the run of Me and My Girl to become the 14th longest-running musical in West End theatre history.
The 1985 revival of the famous Noel Gay musical, that originally starred Robert Lindsay and Emma Thompson, played for 3303 performances at London's Adelphi Theatre before ending its hugely successful run on 16 January 1993. .
Recently acclaimed as "one of the country's strongest and most enduringly popular shows" (Harper's Bazaar, June 2014), the London production of the global musical phenomenon is now also the 10th longest-running show currently playing in the West End.
While continuing its open-ended London run at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, a spectacular UK touring production of Wicked is currently playing at Birmingham Hippodrome (until 6 September 2014) and continues touring until the summer of 2015. "This thrillingly entertaining show" (Manchester Evening News) has broken countless Box Office records and already received multiple five star reviews across England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Around the world, Wicked has already been seen by 42 million people in 13 countries and won 100 international awards. The original Broadway production remains "Broadway's biggest blockbuster" (The New York Times) after more than a decade at the Gershwin Theatre.
The London production currently stars Kerry Ellis (Elphaba)*, Savannah Stevenson (Glinda), Jeremy Taylor (Fiyero), Sue Kelvin (Madame Morrible), Martyn Ellis (The Wizard), Paul Clarkson (Doctor Dillamond), Sam Lupton (Boq), Katie Rowley Jones (Nessarose), Emma Hatton (Standby Elphaba) andSophie Linder-Lee (Standby Glinda).
*Kerry Ellis appears from 4 August-25 October 2014. Due to concert appearances, Ms Ellis will not be performing on 19 August, 27 September, 2-10 October, 14-16 October and 18 October. The producers cannot guarantee the appearance of any particular artist, which is always subject to illness and holidays.
Based on the international best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire that ingeniously re-imagined the stories and characters created by L. Frank Baum in 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz', Wicked tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two sorcery students. Their extraordinary adventures in Oz will ultimately see them fulfil their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.
Wicked has music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, a book by Winnie Holzman, musical staging by Wayne Cilento and is directed by two-time Tony Award® winner Joe Mantello. Wicked is based on the novel, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire.
TOP 20 LONGEST-RUNNING MUSICALS IN WEST END THEATRE HISTORY
1. LES MISERABLES still running, over 11,905 performances
2. The Phantom of the Opera still running, over 11,574 performances
3. Blood Brothers (closed, 10,013 performances)
4. Cats (closed, 8,949 performances)
5. Starlight Express (closed, 7,406 performances)
6. Mamma Mia! still running, over 6,422 performances
7. Disney's The Lion King still running, over 6,195 performances
8. Chicago (closed, 6,187 performances)
9. Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story (closed, 5,140 performances)
10. We Will Rock You (closed, 4,659 performances)
11. Miss Saigon (original 1989 production / closed, 4,264 performances)
12. Billy Elliot The Musical still running, over 3,894 performances
13. Jesus Christ Superstar (original 1972 production / closed, 3,357 performances)
14. Wicked still running, over 3,304 performances
15. Me and My Girl (1985 revival / closed, 3,303 performances)
16. Evita (original 1978 production / closed, 2,900 performances)
17. Oliver! (original 1960 production / closed, 2,618 performances)
18. Grease! (1993 revival / closed, 2,529 performances)
19. The Sound Of Music (original 1961 production / closed, 2,385 performances)
20. My Fair Lady (original 1958 production / closed, 2,281 performances)
TOP 10 LONGEST-RUNNING SHOWS IN THE WEST END
1. The Mousetrap, St. Martin's Theatre.
2. LES MISERABLES, Queen's Theatre.
3. The Phantom of the Opera, Her Majesty's Theatre.
4. The Woman In Black, Fortune Theatre.
5. Mamma Mia!, Novello Theatre.
6. The Lion King, Lyceum Theatre.
7. Stomp, Ambassadors Theatre.
8. Billy Elliot The Musical, Victoria Palace Theatre.
9. The 39 Steps, Criterion Theatre.
10. Wicked, Apollo Victoria Theatre.
Information supplied & verified by the Society of London Theatre correct as at August 2014