Stratford Rumors: SOUND OF MUSIC and CAROUSEL Set for the 2015 Season?

bwayto Profile Photobwayto Profile Photo
bwayto
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Alan Henry - BroadwayWorld Toronto Senior Editor.
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter!
adam.peterson44 Profile Photoadam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thrilled about Carousel!
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Expect a cast recording of Carousel!

bwayto
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Yes - I'm very excited for the Carousel cast recording! Was so excited when I had heard in the original press release. 

Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It doesn't seem like anyone here really cares (judging by the traction on this thread from last year!) but Ouzounian announced today that Stratford will do A Chorus Line and A Little Night Music in the 2016 season.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photofashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Not really excited for either one, to be honest. I bought the cast recording for A Little Night Music about 10 years ago, and then the new one for Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury and have yet to listen to both full through. I can't get into it.

As for A Chorus Line, to me its a museum piece. It will depend strongly on the casting of the characters. I mean, to a certain degree anyone can play everyone. What made the original production so "interesting" was that the actors were playing themselves, or a variation of themselves.

I'll be interested to see what Shaw has to offer. Are there any rumblings for them?

"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
Updated On: 6/18/15 at 01:56 PM
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think it's interesting to put A Chorus Line on the Festival Stage (if Ouzounian is correct with this information).  Can you do A Chorus Line on a thrust stage?  Isn't the whole point that it's on a proscenium stage, with an actual chorus line?  Seems like Night Music should be on the Festival stage, right?

Updated On: 6/18/15 at 02:10 PM
fashionguru_23 Profile Photofashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I could not agree with you more, Tag. Although, I wish Carousel was on the Festival Stage like it was back in 1991.

"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
canmark Profile Photocanmark Profile Photo
canmark
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think A Little Night Music and A Chorus Line are a good lineup. But, as you say, it does seem that Chorus Line is better suited to a proscenium stage, while Night Music could be well done on a thrust stage. Do they think A Chorus Line is a bigger draw and that’s why they want to put it in the Festival Theatre? I would think A Little Night Music would be a bigger draw for Stratford’s audience – which is largely older.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What genius PR department do they have in Stratford that would have a season announcement on Canada Day?!

bwayto
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I love Stratford and their PR department is honestly fantastic. Love working with them.

(But if BWW had like buttons, I'd like your post.) Was not expecting it yesterday.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀TORONTO SHOWS
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
(Runs 9/18 - 9/20)
RING OF FIRE
(Runs 9/14 - 9/26)
Evil Dead The Musical in TorontoEvil Dead The Musical
(Runs 10/19 - 10/20)
Carousel
(Runs 5/5 - 10/23)