Les Mis film question

philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#1
Posted: 2/4/13 at 3:28am
Over on the continent here Les Mis opened last week.

I found the volume of the voices much louder than the music. Unbalanced. Very often the music was just in the background. I felt it was a pity we never got "immersed" in its music.

Though it is a modern cinema I suspect it was a technical issue due to wrong audio settings.

Did any of you have the same experience ? I hope it was a technical issue and not the way the film is recorded.

Updated On: 2/4/13 at 03:28 AM
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis film question#2
Posted: 2/4/13 at 3:35am
Its not something I particularly noticed when I saw it. However the orchestrations are altered to the theatre score, and for some numbers (I dreamed a dream is one) the style/direction is markedly different so yes then the music is more 'background' which was I believe (hell I'm not Tom Hooper!) for dramatic effect. In the 'big' numbers the orchestra sounded fine for a film score-which I think by nature will always sound a bit muted in comparison to live theatre.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#2
Posted: 2/4/13 at 3:46am
Thx

I think something went wrong either at the cinema or in post production over here.
Unfortunately only 1 version was shown over here, so I had no choice.
The singing was in English with subtitles and the dialogue was dubbed in Italian. It lead to some ridiculous scenes, eg. you'd have Jean Valjean singing and then when he spoke one sentence during a song that would be dubbed. HORRIBLE.

Not a success over here. 30 people in the cinema at the beginning of the film and even less by the time it ended.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis film question#3
Posted: 2/4/13 at 8:39am
Sounds terrible! Hope you get to see a better version.

I saw it in the IMAX and the sound quality was amazing.
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#4
Posted: 2/4/13 at 11:17am
I'm "glad" that the sound problem seems to have been a local one. I usually wait for films to be released on BD/DVD to watch them in their original language. I was just too impatient for this one Les Mis film question

Looking forward to the DVD release
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis film question#5
Posted: 2/4/13 at 11:24am
Ugh nightmare. One of my friends is Italian and now living in the UK and still revels in discovering films that had previously only been seen dubbed!

Hopefully you'll be able to see a dvd version soon and hear it as it should have been!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#6
Posted: 2/4/13 at 11:36am
Such a shame the sound quality should spoil it for you. It's a pretty brilliant movie. The sound quality was fantastic when I saw it - though when Mr Crowe was singing, that was not necessarily a blessing lol.
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy***** Oliver! (Watermill)**** Kinky Boots**** Grand Hotel***** Ceili O'Connor: The Understudy - Waiting In The Wings*****
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#7
Posted: 2/4/13 at 11:54am
LOL, imagine then Mr Crowe doing his "singing" with almost no music accompanying him ...
Despite the technical issue I loved the film.

I did the reverse - I moved to Italy a couple of years ago (isn't love a beautiful thing ?) and I tell you : I HATE DUBBING.

Though the Italian version of the Phantom film was REALLY good with excellent singing. Someone messed up on this one though.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Les Mis film question#8
Posted: 2/4/13 at 4:06pm
That reminds me of when I went to Disneyland Paris and I saw Hairspray in the cinema because it was on. I wasn't sure if it would be dubbed but had an evening free so thought why not. The singing was John Travolta etc... and subtitled but the talking was dubbed into French. It seemed a little silly to me to dub some but not all of it! Anyway great fun and it seems they id better than Les Mis's Italian Job
theatergeek3
Stand-by
Stand-by
Les Mis film question#9
Posted: 2/19/13 at 10:42am
It's probably because Tom Hooper had them sing the songs a capella and then music came after.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis film question#10
Posted: 2/19/13 at 9:03pm
The orchestra is placed very low in the mix which doesn't really work in a lot of places. Another musical film where this is used is Jesus Christ Superstar (1973). In that film, however, it is used to great effect. Mainly because that film actually features good singers.

Updated On: 2/19/13 at 09:03 PM

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀TORONTO SHOWS
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
(Runs 9/18 - 9/20)
RING OF FIRE
(Runs 9/14 - 9/26)
Evil Dead The Musical in TorontoEvil Dead The Musical
(Runs 10/19 - 10/20)
Carousel
(Runs 5/5 - 10/23)