Advertisement

Ramin Karimloo

canmark Profile Photocanmark Profile Photo
canmark
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 7/27/12 at 06:47am
Richard Ouzounian is reporting that Ramin Karimloo may star as Bobby in Theatre 20's production of Stephen Sondheim's musical Company in January. OMG, Ramin Karimloo singing Being Alive--yay!

http://www.toronto.com/article/739482--ramin-karimloo-expected-to-star-in-theatre-20-s-company

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 7/27/12 at 06:47 AM
frontrowcentre2 Profile Photofrontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/6/12 at 01:48am
I wonder if Karimloo can sing this role? Does he have the acting chops to pull it off? (Based on his performances in PHANTOM and LOVE NEVER DIES I would say no!)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Leonardo2
Understudy
Understudy
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/9/12 at 04:33am
You're kidding, right? Karimloo has multiple award wins for his role in Love Never Dies and even more nominations. Did you even see it? His performance as Valjean was universally acclaimed as was his performance in Phantom - both the original run a few years ago and the 25th anniversary concert.

Don't you work for Broadwayworld, Mark? If so your comment here is highly inappropriate, unprofessional and reflects poorly on the site. Since you list yourself as a 'theatre reviewer' I certainly hope you don't plan on reviewing Company if he does end up doing it as you are clearly biased. One wonders if you have some sort of personal grudge. Perhaps you should stick to reviewing amateur productions.
canmark
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/11/12 at 06:00pm
frontrowcentre2, you don't like his acting or singing?

I thought his performance in Phantom (the version shown in movie theatres) was excellent. His acting was moving and his singing was great. I have no doubts he can give a Raul Esparza-like performance as Bobby in Company.

I'm very much looking forward to this production. On their website they've got a picture of Louise Pitre as Joanne (complete with martini glass). I was wondering if they were going to use the Panasonic Theatre, but it says it will play in the Enwave Theatre at Harbourfront (would that it was running in the summer rather than January--Harbourfront is not terribly appealing in winter). Casting should be interesting.

http://www.theatre20.com/company.html
Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/12/12 at 10:19am
Well, I would also say his acting isn't his strongest point. None of his performances that I've seen have blown me away in that department. That said, he had terrible material to work with in Love Never Dies; but I didn't think his Phantom or his Raoul in the original were fantastically acted either. He did a lot better as Enjolras in Les Mis.

Updated On: 8/12/12 at 10:19 AM
Stagedoor222
Swing
Swing
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/17/12 at 03:36am
Wow are you really a BWW correspondant frontrowcentre2? Really does sound like a personal vendetta! Have you actually ever seen Ramin perform? He is an amazing talent, shame on you! BWW should take a closer look at how their correspondants conduct themselves.

Updated On: 8/17/12 at 03:36 AM
frontrowcentre2 Profile Photofrontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 8/20/12 at 10:38am
I posted the comment speaking as myself not as an official BWW writer. I am surprised so many people joined BWW just to deride my comments. It is not as if I posted them in an official BWW column or blog.

There is no vendetta...just idle speculation. The role of Bobby requires an actor who can really make the character work. (John Barrowman in Washington and Raul Esparza in the recent Broadway revival were both excellent - in different ways - in being able to communicate the internal conflict that drives the narrative.)

Perhaps with a strong directorial hand Karimloo would be able to sculpt a new and innovative take on this role. It will be interesting to see.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

AJ19852 Profile PhotoAJ19852 Profile Photo
AJ19852
Swing
Swing
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 10/18/12 at 12:24pm
According to one of the producers at Theatre 20, Ramin in Company ain't gonna happen at all. Word is they are looking at one of our top musical theatre performers to play Bobby-baby, and if it comes true it will be a completely new take on the part. Here's hoping.
canmark
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramin Karimloo
Posted: 12/24/12 at 04:39pm
Any news on Company (with or without Ramin Karimloo)? The Theatre 20 website says "early 2013," with 2013 just a week away. No dates, no cast, no ticket info. We want Company!

http://www.theatre20.com/company-early-2013.html

Musicals
Plays