Alumnae Theatre Company Seeks Directors for New Ideas Festival 2013; Deadline 10/27
Alumnae Theatre Company invites non-union directors to apply to direct one of the 15 short plays (running time 10 to 45 minutes) to be produced in New Ideas Festival (NIF) 2013, our 25th annual three-week juried festival of new plays, works-in-progress, and experimental theatre to be held March 6-24, 2013.
The festival provides you with:
- Stage managers, technical crew, and front of house staff
- Open auditions presenting a large pool of possible actors
- Rehearsal space, performance space
- Promotional materials and publicity
- Limited access to Alumnae Theatre’s wardrobe, props, and sets
- A collaborative process with the playwright to continue developing a new work with actors and, sometimes, a dramaturge
- A safe, supportive place for directors to experiment and hone their skills
- Production guidelines and mentorship that get all the plays & dozens of performers successfully from audition to rehearsal to stage.
• Sat. Oct. 27, 2012: Deadline to apply to direct one of the New Ideas Festival plays.
• Sat. Nov. 17, 2012: (MANDATORY) Directors meet playwrights.
• Dec. 3, 4, or 5, 2012: (MANDATORY) Selected directors attend the cold reading of their play.
• Jan 3-6, 2013: (MANDATORY) Selected directors attend relevant group auditions for the Festival.
• Jan. 27, 2013: Rehearsals begin.
• Wed. March 6 - Sun. March 24: New Ideas Festival. Each show runs one week.
New Ideas Festival does not pay fees, royalties, or a box office share to participants. Alumnae Theatre Company retains creative discretion over the festival as a whole. The focus of the festival is script development, not production values, and thus technical requirements of the plays are kept to a minimum. NIF is an exciting opportunity to work one-on-one with a playwright to develop a new work.
If you are interested in directing a play in the Festival, please email email@example.com by Oct 27, 2012. Please fill in the subject line as “Director Application (your name)” and provide a directing CV or paragraph description of your experience. You will receive further details once you have submitted your application.
As our industry has far fewer female directors, women directors are especially encouraged to apply.
For more information about the festival, visit the New Ideas page on Alumnae Theatre’s website at www.alumnaetheatre.com. Alumnae Theatre Company is located at 70 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON, M5A 2W6.