2012 AWARDS SEASON

Nominee Reactions: Jayne Houdyshell for FOLLIES - 'Pure Joy to Be a Part of FOLLIES'
by Robert Diamond - May 1, 2012

Jayne Houdyshell, Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical for FOLLIES 'I'm in LA and so I'm still just waking up and in shock. In a way it hasn't even hit yet, but boy what a lovely honor! I am just so happy for the show. That's the most thrilling thing. When I came on board in New York I was just so excited and now to be honored is unbelievable. It has been nothing but pure joy to be a part of Follies. And today, we get to be reunited for tech in LA so that's the best possible way to celebrate.'

Nominee Reactions: Kelli O'Hara for NICE WORK - 'It feels very overindulgent'

'I feel great - calm and good! My husband came in and told me this morning. We both had messages on our phones because we had them off. I try not to put too much pressure on the situation. He told me to wake up and it was a great way to start the day! This one feels different for me. I'm so excited and relieved- it makes you feel good and validated, though I hate to admit it. It feels very overindulgent because the show had been so fun, easy, and effortless. I love the people involved and it's been the icing on an already big cake. I'll do my show with my great cast and crew tonight and we'll all celebrate that we've been recognized. It's great- it makes you feel like you've already won.'

Nominee Reactions: John Tiffany for ONCE 'I thought 'My God, who has died'?'

'I can't believe it. It's such a humble and delicate show, so I'm just so thrilled that it's enjoying so much success. There is something about the rawness that seems to be touching people, I guess. I was actually out watching a lunchtime play here in Scotland and all of a sudden my phone started buzzing like crazy and I thought 'Oh My God, who has died?' It's that terrible! So I took my phone out and saw the text messages saying that we had gotten all of these nominations so it's safe to say that I enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the play immensely.'

Nominee Reactions: Rick Elice for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER - 'BroadwayWorld Helped!'

Rick Elice, Nominated for Best Play for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER 'I was feeling neurotic this morning and forced myself to go outside in the rain to get away from the TV and phone. So I went to Starbucks and got a coffee and stood under the arch of the Natural History Museum at 77th Street to drink my coffee out of the rain when my pocket started buzzing. I figured it was good news at that point! I heard Nicholas Hynter in an interview recently say 'It's great to be on Broadway' and that's just how I feel - it's going to become my mantra I think. It's especially great to be on Broadway with a passion project like Peter And The Starcatcher. It seemed so unlikely that we would make it to Broadway when we first started. I have to tell you, it is because of BroadwayWorld's contest last year that helped enable us to bring the show to Broadway. You ran a poll about which off Broadway play was the most popular and our show won by such a large margin that we were sending the link around to several producers who were on the fence to show just how much people loved it. So yes, if people are enjoying the work it then I'll be a very happy fellow. It is great to be on Broadway. And now I have to do my laundry.'

Nominee Reactions: Roger Rees for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER - 'feel very elated'

Roger Rees, Best Direction of a Play for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER 'I feel very elated because many years ago I won a Tony for 'Best Actor' and now im up for director! So it's very thrilling! I'm up with the wonderful Alex Timbers and we're very very pleased to be nominated. I was walking in the park this morning when I got the phone call with the news. Now I'm going off to rehearsal with B.D. Wong for Herring Bone. I'm already late for that! I'm very pleased because we got 9 nominations and I'm just so very pleased for everyone connected with the show- the actors, the crew, and the whole team really! Everyone really contributed and hopefully many more people will come and see the show because of this.'

Nominee Reactions: Steve Kazee for ONCE 'Profoundly Humbling'

Steve Kazee, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical for ONCE 'This who morning is an out of body experience at this point. Having lost my mom, this nomination it a bit bittersweet since she can't experience this with me, but I'm just trying to take it all in and think of her. It has been a crazy year for me and to have it culminated this way with 11 Tony nominations for the show makes me speechless. To see everyone get recognized who has worked so hard on creating this piece is just unbelievable and I'm so excited to get the theater tonight to give everyone a hug and say congratulations. It makes me so proud to be a part of something that I can call art that is also having success commercially. Being a part of building something so original and artistic and different than anything else on Broadway is profoundly humbling.'

Nominee Reactions: Christian Borle for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER - 'Watching EMPIRE STRIKES BACK'

Christian Borle, Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER 'It's been an awfully nice morning! I'm happy and just so very proud of the show. It's been a few years leading up to now. This is just enormously gratifying. I woke up this morning and turned on NY1 and watched. I just got a new sound bar for my TV so I think I'm going to sit down and watch 'The Empire Strikes Back.' That will be my celebration for the day!'

Nominee Reactions: Jeremy Shamos for CLYBOURNE PARK 'Fart Hug'

Jeremy Shamos Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play for Clybourne Park 'I'd like to say I was so cool this morning and that I slept through the nominations but that's definitely not true. I woke up at 7 with kids and made them turn off their cartoons so I could watch the broadcast, which they thought was boring. The we heard my name called and we started jumping around and had a group hug, which included a whoopi cushion my daughter snuck in the middle so it turned into a fart hug. it still all feels a bit surreal and I'm still processing I guess, so much so that when I dropped my kids off at school a teacher pointed out that my shirt was inside out. But this is all very exciting and I'm just happy that the show got the nominations that it did. Mine is just icing on the cake.'

Nominee Reactions: Judith Light for OTHER DESERT CITIES 'Thinking of Ted Mann'

Judith Light, Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play for Other Desert Cities 'I'm really excited, and I'm really honored and thrilled! I got a text first from our company manager from Lombardi, and my manager at got up at 4 this morning in California and called me right away. I spoke to both first! Today I'm going to a memorial service for Ted Mann- one of the founders of Circle in the Square who passed a way a little while ago. We were very close. I know he would be very happy right now. I'm happy I get to honor him today. I'm so thrilled that we got so many nominations- Jon Robin Baitz, and sets and lighting and Stockard! It's so extraordinary! It's the second year in a row for me and to be welcomed back is really special. It's all about the honor.'

Nominee Reactions: Joe DiPietro for NICE WORK 'I'm a Kid at Heart'

Joe DiPietro, Best Book of a Musical for NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT 'I gotta say, I'm a kid at heart with this stuff so hearing about my Tony nomination and 10 for the show just makes me feel about 12 years old again! It was thrilling morning. This afternoon I have a work session with my writing partner David Bryan, so that to me is celebration - getting to work on the next on! These nominations are a testament to Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara and all of the hard work everyone has put into the show.'

Nominee Reactions: Celia Keenan-Bolger for STARCATCHER 'It's All Been a Real Gift'

Celia Keenan-Bolger, Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play for PETER AND THE STARCATCHER 'I'm really excited! I woke up with my husband and weeks ago I said we'd have a staycation so we're in a hotel that of course didn't have NY1- which I think is hysterical. So, we had to watch it on my phone. This is so great, I care about the show so so much and I've worked on it for so long. These past 3 years have been so special and we weren't sure it would even come to Broadway. It's all been a real gift. I'm sure I'll be on the phone all day. I'm so excited to do the show tonight!'

Nominee Reactions: Laura Osnes for BONNIE & CLYDE 'I feel like it's a dream'

Laura Osnes, Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical for BONNIE & CLYDE 'I was sound asleep this morning because I didn't expect anything! Then my agent called and I suspected something. As soon as I got the news I just started crying in bed in my pjs. I'm so honored and shocked and grateful and the show is being remembered in some way. I feel like it's a dream and I'm so happy that Jeremy Jordan was nominated for Newsies, too! We've been texting each other this morning. I had plans to have a baking day with a friend, but now it will be sprinkled with extra joy.'

Photo Coverage: Kristin Chenoweth and Jim Parsons Announce the 2012 Tony Nominees!
by Walter McBride - May 1, 2012

The 2012 Tony Awards Nominations Announcement was co-hosted this morning by Tony winning actress Kristin Chenoweth and Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actor Jim Parsons.

Nominee Reactions: Josh Young for JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR 'I feel amazing!'

Josh Young, Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical for JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR 'I feel amazing. I honestly didn't expect a thing so I wasn't the least bit nervous. I figured I would sleep in as late as possible and wake up to find out that my show was nominated but that I wasn't. But, when I got up to walk the dog and checked my phone and saw a text from my agent saying 'atta boy!' These past couple of months have been a crazy roller coaster and have been some of the hardest weeks of my life. I was sidelined with a horrible chest infection and couldn't breathe, but trying to do the show as much as I could...and let me tell you, if there is ever a role where you need to breathe it's 'Judas.' So I'm just so appreciative to all of the nominators who came back to the show to see me. I want to celebrate but I think I need to go back to sleep so I can do a good job onstage tonight!'

Nominee Reactions: Cristin Milioti for ONCE - 'I was asleep...'

Cristin Milioti, Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical for ONCE 'I was asleep because we don't have a TV with cable. We watch internet TV and we were asleep, and my phone rang. I groggily answered the phone and I put it together. My agent and manager were on the line to congratulate me. I cant even put it into words- I'm so flored by the company that I'm with- my fellow nominees, I guess you call them. I've admired them for years and it blows my mind. It's been a year of working hard and to see it come to this level is unreal. It hasn't hit me yet!'

Nominee Reactions: Danny Burstein '6am in LA but Damn Good!'

'I feel pretty damn good! I'm exhausted because it's six in the morning here in LA, but it still feels pretty damn good! My phone started buzzing and I ran to my computer because I wasn't sure. People were texting me and saying 'I'm crossing my fingers to you' and stuff like that. So, I ran to my computer and because we're in this housing, first you have to enter your log in information and I couldn't get it to work. I'm like 'Why now?!' I finally got it to work and it was only after a friend sent me a text saying 'CONGRATULATIONS' that I thought 'Thank God!' I'm in tech right now so I'll spend the rest of the day in tech until midnight, but for this I'll do it!'

2012 Tony Nominations - The Nominees React!

We'll be talking to nominees all day for their reactions!

2012 Tony Nominations by the Numbers - Who Got What?

View what shows got how many nominations!

Breaking News: Drama Desk Awards Reinstate 'Outstanding Orchestrations'; Nominees Announced
by Robert Diamond - April 30, 2012

After hearing the outpouring of concern and support for the category, the Drama Desk Executive Board has announced that they will reinstate the category for this year's awards show on June 3 at The Town Hall.

Bernadette Peters, Hugh Jackman & Actors' Equity to Receive Special Tony Awards & Honors

The Tony Awards® Administration Committee has announced that Bernadette Peters will receive the Isabelle Stevenson Award. Additionally, the Administration Committee will bestow Special Tony Awards to Actors' Equity Association and to Hugh Jackman. These awards will be presented at the 2012 Tony Awards on Sunday, June 10th. The 2012 Tony Awards are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing.

2012 Tony Omissions - What Potential Nominees Were Overlooked?
by BWW Special Coverage - May 1, 2012

Earlier this morning, stage and screen stars Kristin Chenoweth & Jim Parsons announced this year's Tony nominees from the New York Public Library. In a season as rich as this past theatrical season though, there are only so many spots for nominees and some very talented shows and performers were not nominated. Below are the eligible performers and shows who were not nominatined in the major categories.

Tony Awards Release 2012 Nominees Cheat Sheet!
by Nicole Rosky - April 30, 2012

Stage and screen stars Kristin Chenoweth & Jim Parsons will announce this year's Tony nominees tomorrow morning, May 1, 8:30am EST at New York Public Library. The Antoinette Perry "Tony" Awards, which are presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing, will be broadcast in a live three-hour ceremony from the Beacon Theatre, on the CBS television network on Sunday, June 10, 2012. In preparation for the big announcement, TonyAwards.com has released a Cheat Sheet that reminds you of the eligible shows/people of this season. The full Cheat Sheet is as follows:

2012 Tony Nominations Announced - 11 Nominations for ONCE; 10 for NICE WORK & PORGY

The 2012 Tony Awards Nominations Announcement was co-hosted this morning by Tony winning actress Kristin Chenoweth and Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actor Jim Parsons. The Tony Awards will be broadcast in a live three-hour ceremony from the Beacon Theatre, on the CBS television network on Sunday, June 10, 2012.

Watch the 2012 Tony Nominations LIVE on BroadwayWorld.com Tomorrow AM!

The Tony Nominations can be viewed LIVE (8:30am ET) in their entirety at right here via the official stream. BroadwayWorld.com will, as usual, be bringing you exclusive and extensive coverage ALL day long and throughout the 2012 Tony Season!

Tony Committee Makes Final 2012 Decisions - EVITA, SUPERSTAR, GHOST & More!
by Robert Diamond - April 27, 2012

The 18 productions discussed include: Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman; Once; Jesus Christ Superstar; Newsies; Gore Vidal's The Best Man; End of the Rainbow; Evita; Magic/Bird; Peter and the Starcatcher; One Man, Two Guvnors; Clybourne Park; A Streetcar Named Desire; Ghost the Musical; The Lyons; Nice Work If You Can Get It; The Columnist; Don't Dress for Dinner and Leap of Faith.

« prev 1 … 7  8  9  10  11  12  13  next » 

Videos