STG Announces Upcoming Events:Crystal Castles and More
Venue: Moore Theatre (All Ages)
Fusing low-res electronic noise and pop hooks so effortlessly that it can seem accidental, Crystal Castles began as producer/multi-instrumentalist Ethan Kath's solo project in late 2003. Kath got the moniker from the name of She-Ra's dwelling in the He-Man and Masters of the Universe cartoon series; it's also the name of a 1983 Atari video game, which is oddly appropriate, considering that one component of the band's distinctive sound comes from a keyboard modified with an Atari 5200 sound chip. When Kath collaborated with singer Alice Glass on some songs in spring 2005, Crystal Castles' lineup was complete. One of the songs the pair recorded, "Alice Practice," was something of an accident: it was intended to be a demo of Glass testing out a microphone, but its presence on MySpace piqued record labels' interest. "Alice Practice" was released as a limited-edition 7" in summer 2006 on Merok Records, also home to Klaxons; its 500-copy run sold out in three days. Kath and Glass worked on their own songs and also honed their remixing skills, tweaking songs for Klaxons as well as GoodBooks, Uffie, Health, and Bloc Party. Tours with the Presets and Metric in 2007 set the stage for the release of Crystal Castles' self-titled debut album, which Last Gang released early in 2008. The duo returned in 2010 with another self-titled album; when it leaked onto the Internet in late April of that year, the band released it digitally soon after, with a physical release following that May.
The Great Flood
Date: Saturday, March 2, 2013 @ 8:00pm
Guitarist and composer Bill Frisell is widely hailed as a National Treasure, and is uniquely qualified to create a suite of music drawing on the disparate origins of blues, folk and jazz, transforming them into mid-century rhythm based guitar music, and culminating in the progressive interpretations and experimentation of the form. The project will mark the third collaboration between Frisell and filmmaker Bill Morrison, who has worked with some of the most important composers of our time, including John Adams, Gavin Bryars, Henryk Gorecki, David Lang, Harry Partch, Steve Reich and Julia Wolfe.
- National Centre for the Peforming Arts to Present ANANDA: HINDI NATYA UTSAV, May 1-4
- Liberty Puerto Rico infuses TV navigation with social smarts; unveils trend-driven, video-rich mosaics on existing STBs
- Web.com Invites Charlotte Area Small Businesses to Free Online Marketing Seminar
- AutoNavi Holdings Limited Files Its Annual Report on Form 20-F
- EFI Propels Print Business Competitiveness With Inkjet and Workflow Innovations at the International Sign Expo
- Interxion Holding N.V. Announces Increased Size of Private Offering of 6.00% Senior Secured Notes
- Photo Flash: First Look at Lookingglass Theatre's IN THE GARDEN World Premiere
- Tectonic Theater Project to Present THE LARAMIE PROJECT at Harry Hope Theatre, 4/24-27
- Playwright Paul Downs Colaizzo to Visit Black Lab Theatre to Discuss His Play REALLY REALLY, 4/25
- The Wooster Group to Present EARLY SHAKER SPIRITUALS at The Performing Garage, 5/17-6/15