STG Announces Upcoming Events:Crystal Castles and More
Venue: Moore Theatre (All Ages)
Fusing low-res electronic noise and pop hooks so effortlessly that it can seem accidental, Crystal Castles began as producer/multi-instrumentalist Ethan Kath's solo project in late 2003. Kath got the moniker from the name of She-Ra's dwelling in the He-Man and Masters of the Universe cartoon series; it's also the name of a 1983 Atari video game, which is oddly appropriate, considering that one component of the band's distinctive sound comes from a keyboard modified with an Atari 5200 sound chip. When Kath collaborated with singer Alice Glass on some songs in spring 2005, Crystal Castles' lineup was complete. One of the songs the pair recorded, "Alice Practice," was something of an accident: it was intended to be a demo of Glass testing out a microphone, but its presence on MySpace piqued record labels' interest. "Alice Practice" was released as a limited-edition 7" in summer 2006 on Merok Records, also home to Klaxons; its 500-copy run sold out in three days. Kath and Glass worked on their own songs and also honed their remixing skills, tweaking songs for Klaxons as well as GoodBooks, Uffie, Health, and Bloc Party. Tours with the Presets and Metric in 2007 set the stage for the release of Crystal Castles' self-titled debut album, which Last Gang released early in 2008. The duo returned in 2010 with another self-titled album; when it leaked onto the Internet in late April of that year, the band released it digitally soon after, with a physical release following that May.
The Great Flood
Date: Saturday, March 2, 2013 @ 8:00pm
Guitarist and composer Bill Frisell is widely hailed as a National Treasure, and is uniquely qualified to create a suite of music drawing on the disparate origins of blues, folk and jazz, transforming them into mid-century rhythm based guitar music, and culminating in the progressive interpretations and experimentation of the form. The project will mark the third collaboration between Frisell and filmmaker Bill Morrison, who has worked with some of the most important composers of our time, including John Adams, Gavin Bryars, Henryk Gorecki, David Lang, Harry Partch, Steve Reich and Julia Wolfe.
- Photo Coverage: Military Wives Sing With Cast Of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
- Top Stories You Missed on BWW This Weekend - 12/7-12/8/2013
- Hottest Articles on BWW from Sunday, Dec. 8
- A LITTLE NEW MUSIC to Return to Rockwell: Table & Stage, 12/10
- Oleg Frish to Appear with Rick Bogart Trio Every Saturday at Broadway Thai Jazz Restaurant
- Photo Flash: Meet Nik Rabinowitz and KG from STAND UP at the Baxter
- Photo Flash: First Look at Pittsburgh CLO's A MUSICAL CHRISTMAS CAROL, Now Playing
- Photo Flash: Jonathan Brielle Brings I SAW BROADWAY to Birdland
- Isabella Rossellini to Bring GREEN PORNO to Melbourne Arts Centre, 26 March
- All-Star CHESS Concert Set for Richland Performing Arts Center Tonight