STG Announces Upcoming Events: Trey Anastasio Band and More
Minneapolis continues its golden run of producing quality talent with the first project to arrive out the Gayngs collective, the super slick electronic pop-soul outfit Poliça. Fronted by ice cool vocalist Channy Leanagh who sang with Gayngs, produced by Ryan Olson and featuring Mike Noyce from Bon Iver, it's a who's who of the current Twin Cities scene. Continuing the tradition of having friends in high places with Prince and Kanye West among Gayngs fans, Poliça have already been backed by none other than Jay Z who posted their video for the new for single 'Lay Your Cards Out' on his Life + Times blog:http://lifeandtimes.com/lifetimes-video-premier-polica-lay-your-cards-out. After collaborating in the studio and live with Gayngs in 2010, it became apparent that Channy and Ryan should form a group of their own. "As touring progressed and Channy got more comfortable with the band and singing the songs, she would reinvent the parts she was doing in brilliant ways. It made me want to see where else she could go" explains Olson. Ryan's pop sensibilities and electronic adventurism would prove to be the perfect vehicle for Channy's recent growth and evolution as a vocalist and dynamic experimentalist. In June 2011, they began writing together what would become Poliça's debut album, Give You The Ghost. First sashaying single proper 'Lay Your Cards Out' and the dreamy 'Wandering Star' both feature Mike Noyce of Bon Iver on vocals and are equally as deliciously funk laden as they are hypnotic, with more ratatat drums from Ben Ivascu and Drew Christopherson, propelling the lush arrangements and slinky bass, provided by Chris Bierden. The name Poliça refers to the word 'policy', meaning a definite course of action adopted for the sake of expediency, suggesting they were formed out of necessity. Which is exactly how this album feels and sounds; urgent, original and genre defying, Poliça are absolutely essential in 2012.
Trey Anastasio Band hits the road this winter for an Acoustic & Electric Tour starting Feb 18th at the State Theatre in Portland, ME and ending at the Fox Theater in Oakland, CA on March 5th marking the first TAB dates on the west coast since Trey reunited the Classic TAB lineup in 2008. Along the way, the band will make stops in Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver and more. The lineup will once again feature Natalie Cressman (trombone and vocals), Jennifer Hartswick (trumpet and vocals), Russ Lawton (drums), Tony Markellis (bass and vocals), Ray Paczkowski (keyboards) and Russell Remington (tenor saxophone and flute). The shows will also feature a full solo acoustic set from Trey along with a full electric set marking the first time that Trey has toured in this format since 1999.
- WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT Lumbers Into WHBPAC, 3/19-20
- ADK Shakespeare to Kick Off New Sunday Shakespeare Series at Lake Placid Center for the Arts, 3/16
- Glass Mind Theatre to Present Baltimore Premiere of THE ALL-AMERICAN GENDERF*CK CABARET, 4/11-19
- 'MELODIES & MEMORIES: A Life-Long Learning Program' 2014 Spring Semester to Launch 3/25 at WHBPAC
- Writers Theatre to Present World Premiere Musical DAYS LIKE TODAY, 5/6-6/13
- New York Live Arts to Continue 'Sound Bar' Series with Marco Sartor and More, Beg. 3/10
- SEASCAPE, SNOGLOWGLOBED and More Set for Theater Schmeater's Inaugural Season at New Venue, The Schmee
- Yorktown Stage to Present THE KING AND I, 4/25-27
- Photo Flash: First Look at Main Street Theater's TIME STANDS STILL
- Marsyas Productions Presents EARS OPEN: A FESTIVAL OF CONTEMPORARY MUSIC Tonight