Jennifer Jasper's 'etymology' Selected for 39th Annual Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival
"et•y•mol•o•gy" by Jennifer Jasper has been selected from nearly 1,400 submissions to be a semi-finalist in Samuel French's 39th Annual Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival (OOB) in New York City this summer. "et•y•mol•o•gy" is produced by Jennifer Jasper, Kathie Whitehall and The 14/48 Projects and will be presented on August 8 at the Peter Jay Sharp Theater (416 West 42nd Street, NYC). The week-long Festival features 30 plays that are judged throughout the week. Samuel French's editorial staff will choose six winners, which will receive publication and licensing contracts.
The 2014 Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival Final 30 are:
- ATTILA by Ben Samuels
- THE BASKET WEAVER by Blaire Baron Larsen
- BENCH by Ann Gillespie
- BUDDY HOLLY AT THE ARMORY by Zac Kline
- DEBRIDEMENT by Megan Dieterle
- ENDNOTE by Meridith Friedman
- ET·Y·MOL·O·GY by Jennifer Jasper
- EVERYBODY HURTS (SOMETIMES) by Emily Dendinger
- FOREST FOR THE TREES by Susan Merson
- FURBALL by Susan Soon He Stanton
- THE IDYLLIC LIFE: A BAVARIAN FAIRY TALE by Jay Koepke
- IT LOOKED LIKE RAIN by Donna Noval
- JOHN, WHO'S HERE FROM CAMBRIDGE by Martyna Majok
- LAVINIA by Jon Lachlan Stewart
- LIFE OF THE PARTY by Matthew Widman
- THE LOGIC by Will Arbery
- MANDATE by Kelly Younger
- THE MATTHEW PORTRAITS by Colette Mazunik
- NO STRANGER THERE by Luke Wise
- OH, HOW HE LOVED BAKLAVA by Trish Harnetiaux
- OUTSIDE SITKA by Josh Billig
- PARK SLOPE MINSTREL SHOW by Eleanor Burgess
- PROM QUEEN by David Simpatico
- RED AND PURPLE by Conor Eifler
- RUBY'S PLAY by Ariel Rosen-Brown
- SHREW MAN VS. SHREMAN by C.J. Ehrlich
- TAISETSU NA HITO by Leah Nanako Winkler
- UNKEMPT by Rebecca Schlossberg
- A WAKE FOR DAVID'S FUCKED-UP FACE by Skylar Fox
- XANDER XYST, DRAGON: PART 1 by Jeremy O. Harris
Jennifer Jasper is thrilled to be chosen for this honor. Her initial response to the news was standing in one place saying "No way!" Her response for the festival? "All the way!"
Originating in 1975, the Festival is New York's most established short play festival and has attracted the attention of applicants from not only the U.S., but international dramatists as well (Canada, Singapore, the United Kingdom, etc.). The OOB Festival is unique in that it requires applicants to collaborate with a producing organizing or to self-produce their work. Additionally, the winning plays are published in Samuel French's acclaimed OFF OFF BROADWAY FESTIVAL PLAYS series and licensed to theatre producers around the world.
The Festival Week consists of eight performance sessions in which three or four scripts are presented in front of a judging panel comprised of the theatre industry's most-celebrated professionals, including artistic directors and major playwrights. At the end of each session, the judges deliberate and one or two plays are selected to move on to the Festival Finals.
All tickets are $18. For more information and to purchase tickets, call Ticket Central at 212-279-4200 or go online to oob.samuelfrench.com. The 39th Annual Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival will run August 4-10 at the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre at Playwrights Horizons (416 West 42nd Street).