Actors Alliance Announces Summer Theatre Intensive
Actors Alliance of San Diego is happy to announce their revamped Actors Alliance Summer Theatre Intensive for 2014. This year we will be offering two programs that focus on teaching young actors the skills they need to get jobs now!
Emerging Artist Program (Ages 13- 19)
July 28, 2014 - August 17, 2014
This program is Appropriate for students who have a serious desire to pursue future careers in musical theatre, are looking to push themselves to the next level with focused rehearsal and instruction, are looking to, acquire skills that will make them competitive in the current professional musical theatre industry, seek to connect with industry professionals and break into professional theatre as a young actor, are looking to polish their professional image and learn business skills that will help them as they move into the musical theatre industry, or consider themselves intermediate to advance for their age level.
Week 1: Audition Coaching & Industry Masterclasses
1. Focus: Individual coaching and professional development for the young professional actor
a. Daily acting and singing classes with one-on-one monologue and song coaching
b. Industry Masterclasses with San Diego Casting Agents, Directors, and Musical Directors
i. How to Select Audition Materials
ii. Building Your Resume and Marketing Materials
d. Mock Audition and Dance Callback for a panel of San Diego Industry Professionals
Week 2 and 3: Contemporary Show Performance Workshop, Show Title TBA
1. Focus: Professional rehearsal process resulting in a performance that engages young actors in age-appropriate, contemporary material
a. Table work, character study
b. Daily rehearsal of script, score, and choreography
c. Final Performance (with Tech Rehearsals) at Moxie Theatre, open to friends, family and public
3. Contemporary Show Performance: The students will have the opportunity to learn a role from a contemporary musical theatre show and add this credit to their resume. This musical features roles that students could currently be cast as or would be cast as within the next several years. Our focus will be on contemporary singing and acting styles, which often require high technical vocal ability with realistic and truthful acting. Choreography will be relevant to the style of the show.
Fundamentals for Young Actors (Ages 9-12)
July 28, 2014 - August 17, 2014
This program is appropriate for students who have some performing experience but are looking to hone their skills, are looking to push themselves to the next level with focused rehearsal and instruction, are looking to acquire skills that will make them competitive in the current professional musical theatre industry, want to learn material from shows they may be cast in at their current age, or want to learn contemporary musical theatre repertoire.
Week 1: Technical Training for Young Actors
1. Focus: To train young actors in the skills that are currently being required of them in professional theatre.
a. Daily Dance: Ballet and Jazz classes as they pertain to contemporary shows for young actors such as Billy Elliot, Matilda and Newsies.
b. Acting: scene work, cold reading, and Introduction to Dialects (Accents)
c. Singing: 2 and 3 part harmony, the ensemble as a character, and acting the song
Week 2 and 3: Rehearse/Perform: Contemporary Musical Theatre Showcase
1. Focus: Professional rehearsal process resulting in a performance that engages young actors in age-appropriate, contemporary material.
a. Daily classes in Dance, Acting, and Singing
b. Daily rehearsal in songs and scenes selected from contemporary musicals that feature young actors, culminating in a showcase of this material.
c. Final Performance (with Tech Rehearsal) at Moxie Theatre, open to friends, family, and the general public.
3. Contemporary Showcase: The showcase will feature solo and ensemble repertoire and scenes from recent Broadway shows such as Matilda, Billy Elliot, A Christmas Story, Elf, Newsies, The Addams Family, and more. Repertoire will be selected based on the students' character type and skill level with an attempt to give each student material from roles that they would actually be cast as in the professional world. Choreography will be as close to the original Broadway show as possible so that students will learn the expectations placed on current young actors. The result will be a unique performance showcase based on the strengths of our students.
Performances will be at Moxie Theatre 6663 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115
If you are interested in participating in our summer programs please contact Bryan Stanton at firstname.lastname@example.org