PlayMakers Repertory Company Presents MY FAIR LADY Next Month
PlayMakers has re-imagined this classic musical to fit the intimate stage at the Paul Green Theatre, and welcomes a dynamic cast that includes newcomer Mia Pinero, as Eliza, along with some of the company's most beloved guest and resident actors. Acclaimed British-American director, Tyne Rafaeli, makes her much awaited PlayMakers debut. She is joined by returning Music Director, Mark Hartman, and in their hands what has been called "the perfect musical" soars straight into our modern hearts.
"This whole season has explored stories of transformation and sparked discussion on some of today's most important issues. What better way to end our 2016/17 Mainstage series than to be transported by a relevant, thoughtful, fresh take on one of the best known stories of transformation of all time," says Vivienne Benesch, PlayMakers' Producing Artistic Director. "In the hands of Tyne and her marvelous creative team, this production brings the complexity of Shaw's story to arresting new life while honoring the beloved musical's original frame and richness. With the heightened intimacy of a two-piano orchestration, this beloved musical promises magnificent voices, visual splendor and an energetic, entertaining evening for all."
Let a woman in your life . . .
"'My Fair Lady' offers the opportunity to celebrate the theatre as a place of transcendence, beauty and joy - as well as a place to ask vital and complicated questions about how we live," says director Tyne Rafaeli. "This is a story of transformation. Transformation through education, transformation through smashing down the walls that separate us, transformation through realizing we may be closer to "the other half" than we think. Approaching this iconic musical is a thrilling opportunity to widen our perspective and shine a light on some of the complexities we face in 2017."
Making their PlayMakers acting debuts are Mia Pinero as Eliza Doolittle (credits include "West Side Story" at Broadway Rose Theatre, and "The Threepenny Opera" at Kasser Theatre), and Gary Milner as Alfred Doolittle (credits include "Doctor Zhivago" at Broadway Theatre, and "Love Story" at Duchess Theatre, London).
Returning to perform are many PlayMakers company favorites: Jeffrey Blair Cornell as Henry Higgins ("The Crucible," "An Enemy of the People"); Ray Dooley as Colonel Pickering ("Twelfth Night" "Sweeney Todd," "Peter and the Starcatcher"); Julie Fishell as Mrs. Higgins ("The May Queen," "Three Sisters"); Julia Gibson as Mrs. Pearce ("Twelfth Night," "Into the Woods"); joining them is Triangle-favorite Jade Arnold as Freddy ("Sweeney Todd").
The Ensemble features: David Adamson; Carlos Alcala; John Allore; Catherine Baird; Bradley Barefoot; Geoffrey Culbertson; Rishan Dhamija; Alex Givens; Jenny Latimer; Shanelle Nicole Leonard; Christine Mirzayan; and Tristan Parks.
The Creative Team of "My Fair Lady":
Tyne Rafaeli (Director): Tyne is a British-American Director who trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and Columbia University. She has directed classics, new plays and musicals in London and the US, and her recent credits include "The Lion in Winter" at Two River Theatre, "Othello" at Classic Stage Company, "Chasing Rainbows" at Goodspeed Opera House, and "Pride and Prejudice" at American Players Theater, among others. Tyne is a 2016-18 Time Warner Directing Fellow at the Women's Project Theatre and received the 2014 SDC Sir John Gielgud Fellowship for Classic Direction. Her upcoming productions include the world premiere of "Actually" by Anna Ziegler at The Geffen Playhouse.
?Mark Hartman (Music Director): Mark is a musician, music director and composer whose work has been heard on Broadway, off-Broadway, and at regional theatres around the country. A UNC-Chapel Hill alumnus, he is returning to PlayMakers where he has previously served as Music Director for "Sweeney Todd," "Into the Woods," "Assassins," and "Cabaret". Mark's credits include: "Sondheim on Sondheim" (Studio 54), "Avenue Q" (John Golden Theatre, NY), "1776" (Roundabout Theatre Company), and "Pippin" (Goodspeed Musicals, national tour), among others. He is the recipient of two MAC Awards and the Backstage Bistro Award for Music Direction.
The Creative Team of "My Fair Lady" also includes: Tracy Bersley (Choreographer), McKay Coble, (Scenic Designer), Andrea Hood (Costume Designer), Masha Tsimring (Lighting Designer), Anna Warda Alex (Sound Designer), Gregory Kable (Dramaturg), John Patrick (Voice Coach), Charles K. Bayang (Stage Manager), and Hannah-Jean Farris (Assistant Stage Manager).
This play is recommended for audiences 10 and older.
About PlayMakers Repertory Company:
PlayMakers is the professional theater in residence at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina's premier resident theater company for more than 40 years. PlayMakers has been named one of the "best regional theatres in America".
"My Fair Lady" takes the stage at the Paul Green Theatre in the Center for Dramatic Art on Country Club Road. Showtimes will be 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sundays, plus 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 15. Previews: April 5-7. Opening Night & Press Night: Saturday, April 8.
· March 20, 7:00 p.m. - "In the Wings" presented by PlayMakers and the Durham County Library. Cast and creative team members discuss the play at the South Regional branch, 4505 S. Alston Ave., Durham.
· March 29, 6:30 p.m., Paul Green Theatre - "The Vision Series-Directors in Conversation," a behind-the-scenes preview with members of the creative team, moderated by Director of Education and Outreach Jenny Wales. The event is free and open to the public. Enjoy coffee and hors d'oeuvres, learn about the vision for the show, and get a sneak peek at the sets and costumes in progress. Reservations are appreciated, call the Box Office at 919.962.7529. Members of the media are invited to cover the Vision Series. Photography, videography, lights and flashes are not restricted.
· April 5-7, 7:30 p.m. - Preview performances
· April 8, 7:30 p.m. - Opening Night & Press Opening
· April 11, 7:30 p.m. - All-access performance for attendees with special needs, with sign language interpretation and audio description
· April 11, 7:30 p.m. - Community Night at PlayMakers: General admission seating, with all tickets $15
· April 12 & 16 - Free post-show discussions with members of the artistic staff
· April 15, 7:30 p.m. - Open captioned performance, with dialog, stage direction, and sound effects communicated on a "universal access" live caption unit
· April 29, 7:30 p.m. - MindPlay, a free post-show psychoanalytic reading of our productions in partnership with the North Carolina Psychoanalytic Society
Production of "My Fair Lady" is co-sponsored by Ruggero Piano.
Photo credit: Huth Photo