A RAISIN IN THE SUN and CLYBOURNE PARK Come to PlayMakers Rep, 1/26-3/3
- Jan. 14, 7 p.m.: "In the Wings," presented by PlayMakers and the Durham County Library. Cast and creative team members (designers, actors and production personnel) discuss the plays at the Southwest Regional Library, 3605 Shannon Road, Durham
- Jan. 28, 6 p.m.: a discussion with the directors and cast at McIntyre's Books, Fearrington Village, Pittsboro
- Jan. 26 through Feb. 1: preview performances at 7:30 p.m.
- Feb. 2: opening day; "A Raisin in the Sun" at 2 p.m. and "Clybourne Park" at 7:30 p.m., with a complimentary gala party after the evening show
- Feb. 9 ("Raisin") and 16 ("Clybourne Park"), 2 p.m.: open captioned performances
- Feb 11 and 17 ("Raisin"), Feb. 24 and 28 ("Clybourne Park"): free post-show discussions with the creative team
- Feb. 19 ("Raisin") and 26 ("Clybourne Park"): all-access performances for attendees with special needs, with sign language interpretation and audio description
- March 2 and 3: free post-show "Mindplay" discussions sponsored by the North Carolina Psychoanalytic Society.
The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) recognized PlayMakers with a $100,000 "Art Works" grant to support the plays and the "Dream Deferred" outreach series. The award was the largest given by the NEA to any professional theater for a production staged during the 2012-2013 season. The NEA, based in Washington, D.C., is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education.
PlayMakers is based in UNC's College of Arts and Sciences. New York's Drama League has named PlayMakers one of the best regional theater companies in America and The Independent Weekly calls PlayMakers the best live theater company in the Triangle.