BWW JR: Spring Flash
Now that the warm weather is setting in...I mean continuing…it might seem counter-intuitive to sit your kids down in a dark theatre in the middle of the afternoon. But trust me, by the time Spring break rolls around, you’ll have seen one playground too many and both you and your kids will be hungry for something more. That’s when it’s time to take advantage of being in (or close to) New York City and take in some awesome family theatre. Here are my top picks for Spring 2012. I’ve carefully selected shows that are geared towards younger kids but not 100% annoying to parents. I’ll be posting reviews on many of these productions as I catch them over the next few months, so watch this space for the low down on BroadwayWorld Jr.’s 2012 SPRING FLASH!
It’s no secret to readers of this column that I’m a huge fan of everything Vital Theatre Company has to offer. I’m especially excited about this one because of it’s awesome book writer and lyricist Sammy Buck, who’s clever, modern, hilarious style is sure to make STINKY KIDS something parents and kids can enjoy together.
The show is geared towards kids ages 3-12, and tells the story of StinkyKid Britt who never gets in trouble and loves making everyone happy. She’s convinced her parents to take her friends to the opening of the new MegaJumper 3000. But when Britt gets a massive wad of gum stuck in her hair, she must rely on her friends to help her get out of the sticky situation before her parents find out and cancel the trip! STINKYKIDS, THE MUSICAL is based on the award winning StinkyKids® books and StinkyKids® characters.
TheatreWorks Tour MARTHA SPEAKS
This is another show I’m psyched for mainly because of the brilliantly cool folks behind it. Actress and funny lady Jill Abramovitz wrote the lyrics to her husband Brad Alexander’s compositions. The two of them make up one of the most talented song-writing duos I know, and add to that bookwriter Kevin Del Aguila (He wrote Alter Boyz).
Martha was an ordinary dog until the day she ate a bowl full of alphabet soup. Something unusual happened: all those letters went up to Martha’s brain instead of down to her stomach. And she became literally outspoken! When she correctly answers a trivia question on a radio call-in show, she wins an all-expense-paid family vacation. But when the official award notice arrives in the mail, it contains Martha’s least favorite words: “no dogs allowed!” Will her family go on vacation without her?
The show is based on the books by Susan Meddaugh and the popular animated PBS television series, and the tour schedule is as follows:
• March 21, 2012: Montclair NJ – Memorial Auditorium, Montclair State University at 10am and 12:30pm
• March 23, 2012: Queens NY – Kupferberg Auditorium, Queens College at 10am
• March 26, 2012: Hempstead, NY – Adams Playhouse, Hofstra University at 10:30am
• March 27, 2012: New York, NY – Town Hall at 10:30am
- BWW JR: 2014 New York Children's Theater Festival
- BWW JR: SAMANTHA SPADE, ACE DETECTIVE: THE CASE OF THE MALTBALL FALCON
- BWW JR: A Midsummer's Day Camp at The Public Theater
- BWW JR: Dear Albert Einstein
- BWW JR: Wally Watthead and His Lost Glow
- BWW JR: Cirkopolis!
- A Christmas Carol the Musical at the Players Theatre for Families
- BWW JR: Can I Take My Kids to See ONCE?
- BWW JR: The Greatest Pirate Story Never Told!
- BWW JR: Catch BIG FISH While You Can