Comscore

Rock of Ages heads to Garrick

AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/12 at 10:14am
Rock of Ages will be heading to the Garrick from Mid/End of Jan 2013.

Confirmation/tickets on sale shortly.

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 10:36am
Guess holding out to see how Loserville did paid off rather than go to the much smaller Duchess.

Given that the Garrick has managed to close Chicago and Loserville, let's hope RoA survives the move to its new home.
Updated On: 11/13/12 at 10:36 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 02:12pm
I guess Rock of Ages will have a rough guesstimate at their box office to make the move viable, the set is quite static but would the Shaftsbury set fit into the Garrick? Now for Rock of Ages to be this successful and in a position to make a move to different theatre albeit smaller, has pleasantly surprised me, I didn't think the show would stand a chance in the finicky West End.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/12 at 03:35pm
It does well. It's advance isn't strong but the tourists and day market keep it solid, but it's not a ticket people want to pay a high price, even a higher discount price for it stay at the Shaftesbury.

The move to the Garrick is a wise one, although something makes me think they should have gone for The Duchess as I just think it would work so well there, but Garricks locations is great.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 03:41pm
Tourists and day market would tally with the Garrick having high passing trade, as a lot of footfall passes the theatre daily, saying that I bet this is reflected in the rent?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 08:18pm
ROA would be able to do sell out the Garrick than the Shaftesbury as it has only 756 seats compared to the 1400 at the Shaftesbury plus its a short walk from TKTS as well.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/14/12 at 05:16am
Its a great location for the show, and much easier for me to get my bus home but I hate the Garrick.
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/12 at 06:23am
It will need to sell more full price tickets to help make up for the drop in capacity, they wont have the margins for selling loads of cheap tickets (like Chicago...and look what happened there)
MaryJT58
Swing
Swing
Posted: 11/14/12 at 07:41am
The Garrick Theatre - where shows go to die.

RIP Peter Pan
RIP Zorro
RIP Chicago
RIP Loserville
RIP Rock of Ages...
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/14/12 at 10:30am
Peter Pan was a limited run and Zorro extended and did better than originally thought, but then did die off.

For what is a playhouse and a host of small musicals (therefor small budgets), it turn over isn't too bad!

Chicago just didn't work there and it showed in the fist three months, they let it run for the rest of the year by literally just playing.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/14/12 at 10:30am
Yes - but you have to remember The Shaftesbury used to be where shows went to die - until Hairspray and Rock of Ages came along!

Things change :)
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/14/12 at 11:15am
Chicago was at the end of its westend life and the transfer was kind of pushing it.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/12 at 11:22am
I don't think the Garrick has done badly with musicals, A Little Night Music did okay there and Zorro lasted longer than expected.

Chicago I think should have closed when they left the Cambridge.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/12 at 01:44pm
'Yes - but you have to remember The Shaftesbury used to be where shows went to die - until Hairspray and Rock of Ages came along!'

Not necessarily, look how well Hair did at the Shaftsbury, so well it brought the house down.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/12 at 03:21pm
"look how well Hair did at the Shaftsbury[sic], so well it brought the house down."

Haha!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****

Save $$$ on Tickets to: