Unlce Vanya

WestEndFan2
Swing
Swing
Unlce Vanya#1
Posted: 11/7/12 at 10:04am
Last night I went to see Uncle Vanya at the Vaudeville Theatre. I personally enjoyed the performance, especially Ken Stott as Vanya. I think Anna Friel could easily have been played by someone equally as attractive (and possibly more talented) although the role did not really call for anyone with any high acting prowess.

This show has recently featured in the news after Sir Peter Hall apparently heckled Laura Carmichael's speech in the closing scene. He has since claimed that he was "briefly disorientated" after falling asleep, however there were a number of people last night on leaving the theatre who seemed to have not enjoyed the show as much as myself. I overheard one lady saying that at the point Uncle Vanya was waving his pistol around she happily have "leapt on stage and used it on herself."

While the show is billed as a comedy, it is an Anton Chekhov comedy and quite clearly details in the synopsis that the story is one of depression and frustration, which is some way from the 21st century laughs we may be used to, but surely you are aware of this before purchasing your tickets.

I have also discovered that there is a Russian version of the show on at the Noel Howard Theatre at the moment.

I am not sure if anyone has seen either of these performances, but I would love to hear some other opinions of this show or the Noel Coward one?
Sir Peter Hall heckles Laura Carmichael
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unlce Vanya#2
Posted: 11/8/12 at 2:58am
I liked it better than you did and found Anna Friel enthralling. But then you seem to feel the role of Yelena is a breeze to act. Perhaps more experience with the play will demonstrate to you that it's not. No role in Chekhov is.

As for the "comedy" aspect, it was, in fact, the funniest Vanya I've seen, thanks mainly to Ken Stott.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Unlce Vanya#2
Posted: 11/8/12 at 3:24am
I would have loved to see Ken Stott in the role and I imagine that he brings out the best of Chekhov's comedy.

I also agree that it's perhaps a bit naive to think the role of Yelena isn't demanding. Personally I also think Friel is a talented performer-though I've never seen her on stage.

Did either of you see the Chichester production earlier in the year? how does this one compare?
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unlce Vanya#3
Posted: 11/8/12 at 4:21am
I did not see the Chichester production but I did see the production at The Print Room last year - Iain Glen as Vanya - which was wonderful in every way. Much more somber than the current Vaudeville production and probably, ultimately, better. But the Yelena was not a patch on Anna Friel!
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Unlce Vanya#4
Posted: 11/8/12 at 5:23am
Ah I didn't get to see Glen as Vanya. As I think I probably posted at the time Roger Allam was fantastic in the role a very quiet restrained performance but with his characteristic dry humour. Overall it was quite a somber production also-more as I say infused with a drier humour. Chichester was an excellent production I was hoping it would transfer but sadly not! The ladies in that (Lara Pulver and Dervla Kirwan) were also excellent.

I'd love to have seen this production as a contrast but sadly time isn't allowing it at the moment!
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unlce Vanya#5
Posted: 11/8/12 at 6:07am
It's playing until January, I believe. I saw it on a ten pound day seat so it's a bargain.
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Unlce Vanya#6
Posted: 11/8/12 at 3:01pm
Ah brilliant! I may just squeeze in a visit in early Jan then (hopefully at that bargain price!)

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to: