FREEZE FRAME: Meet the Company of THE LAST SMOKER IN AMERICA!
The musical comedy The Last Smoker in America features book and lyrics by Tony Award Nominee Bill Russell (Side Show) and music by Drama Desk Nominee Peter Melnick (Adrift in Macao), with direction by Tony Award-winning producer and director Andy Sandberg (Hair; Gore Vidal's The Best Man), choreography by Tony Award nominee AC Ciulla (Footloose) and musical supervision by Fred Lassen (The Gershwin's Porgy & Bess).
The four member cast includes Drama Desk Nominee Farah Alvin (The Marvelous Wonderettes) as Pam, Natalie Venetia Belcon (Avenue Q) as Phyllis, John Bolton (A Christmas Story, "Gossip Girl") as Ernie, and Jake Boyd (MCC's Carrie) as Jimmy.
In a world where smoking has recently been outlawed and the penalties are growing stricter by the minute, Pam is having an impossible time trying to quit. Her husband Ernie dreams of being a rock star and relentlessly practices his guitar in the basement, while their videogame-addicted son Jimmy listens to so much rap music he thinks he's black. As if Pam isn't pushed to The Edge of reason already, her nosy, anti-smoking zealot neighbor Phyllis is on a mission to catch transgressors mid-puff. Will Pam kick the habit or fight for her right to light up? The Last Smoker in America delivers explosive satire and smoking wit, along with a thrilling rock score that will leave you craving for more.
The musical received a developmental workshop production at the New York Musical Theatre Festival in the fall of 2009, where it extended and played to sold-out audiences. In the fall of 2010, The Last Smoker in America received its world premiere at CATCO (Columbus, Ohio), where additional performances were added due to popular demand.
The creative team includes Charles Corcoran (sets), Michael McDonald (costumes), 2012 Tony Award-winner Jeff Croiter & Grant Yeager (lights), Bart Fasbender (sound), and Jay Binder (casting). Roger Alan Gindi is the General Manager and Pamela Edington is the Production Stage Manager. The producers for the New York run of The Last Smoker in America include Andy Sandberg, Whitney Hoagland Edwards, Michael Palitz, and Stephanie Rosenberg.
For more about the show, visit www.LastSmoker.com.
Photo credit: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.
- Photo Coverage: On the Red Carpet with Helen Mirren, Jeremy Irons & More at the Roundabout Spring Gala
- In the Spotlight Series: The Company of ARLINGTON
- Photo Coverage: James Franco, Chris O'Dowd and OF MICE AND MEN Company Meet the Press!
- Photo Coverage: Tony Winner Stew Previews 'NEW STEW REVIEW' at 54 Below
- Photo Coverage: Remembering Sheila MacRae
- Photo Coverage: ALL THE WAY's Opening Night Red Carpet with Diane Paulus, Chris O'Dowd, Tracy Letts & More
- Photo Coverage: k.d. lang Performs 'Hallelujah' in AFTER MIDNIGHT
- Photo Coverage: OF MICE AND MEN's James Franco and Chris O'Dowd Stop by 'TimesTalks'
- Photo Coverage: Broadway Welcomes LBJ: Inside ALL THE WAY's Opening Night After Party
- Photo Coverage: Bryan Cranston & the Cast of ALL THE WAY Take Opening Night Broadway Bows!