Barter Theatre Presents TARZAN, Beginning Tonight, 9/14
Follow along as a young orphan boy is adopted by Kala, a loving ape mother. Kala only sees the similarities she and Tarzan share. Tarzan’s ape father, Kercheck, can only see the differences. As Kala, Tarzan's best friend Terk and the rest of the apes teach Tarzan how to survive, Tarzan can't help but long for the acceptance of Kercheck.
When a group of humans enter the world of the apes as part of a research expedition, Tarzan meets Jane, a kind and caring woman. Trouble ensues as Tarzan struggles to find his true place in the world. Does he belong with his kind, the humans, and the woman he loves? Or does he stay with his real family: the mother who loves him, his friend Terk and the rest of his ape tribe? Will the humans reject the instincts to dominate, take captive and destroy that which is beautiful?
"'Tarzan: The Stage Musical' truly unites two worlds as one man embraces his animal self for survival, pleasure, connection and love and his civilized self for intelligence, invention and structure, " said Director Richard Rose. "Barter Theatre's jungle will come alive in a way that only our professional artists can deliver and Disney can nourish."
Sean Campos, who brought the fearsome, yet truly lovable Beast of “Beauty and the Beast” to life last year; as well as the M.C. in “Cabaret,” steps into the role of Tarzan. Hannah Ingram, who played the fun-loving Sally Bowles in “Cabaret,” will play the ape mother, Kala. Nick Koesters—the chauvinistic boss in “9 to 5: The Musical” will play Kercheck, the ape father. Holly Williams is cast as Jane, and Stephen Scott Wormley will portray Tarzan’s best friend and mentor, Terk. Williams and Wormley play opposite one another in Barter's"Zombie Prom," also playing this fall.
Alex VanBuren, a seventh grader from Johnson City, Tenn., is excited to be cast as Young Tarzan for his Barter Theatre debut. Also excited about his Barter debut is Teddy Pillion, a second grader from Abingdon, Va. Ginny Osborne (4th grade), and Virginia Pillion (age 10) have played in previous Barter Theatre productions including "Annie" in 2010 and round out the youth ensemble.
Howard Tsvi Kaplan steps in as a guest costume designer. Kaplan is in his fifteenth season as the resident costume designer for Sarasota Opera and of recent, he designed "Man of La Mancha" at the Olney Theatre, which was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award.
“Families and friends packed Barter Main Stage last summer for 'Disney's Beauty and the Beast' and Barter artists delivered an extraordinary experience," said Hester. "We are all excited to deliver a new kind of adventure in the amazing story of 'Tarzan: The Stage Musical.' This is the regional premiere of the story, and who better to produce it first than Barter?"
- Tequila Avion Introduces Avion Reserva 44
- Facebook Fails in Customer Satisfaction Along with McDonald's, MTV, Kia; Amazon Tops 100 Brands Across Seven Industries
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: IBM, eBay, Amazon.com, Wal-Mart and Target
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, General Motors, Toyota Motor, Nissan Motor and Honda Motor
- University of Miami Study Offers Online Retailers Tips to Turn Browsers into Buyers this Holiday Season
- Elbit Imaging Ltd. Announces Receipt of Nasdaq Notification Regarding Stockholders' Equity
- PEEPS' Santas Channel Their Inner Easter Bunny And Hop Through New York City
- Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Secures All Media Rights for Comedy The Hungover Games
- It Gets Better Project Launches Campaign Aimed at Russia's LGBT Youth
- Battleship 2