The Rose To Host Auditions On February 10 and 11, 2014
For “Tarzan”® Based on the Disney Film
The Rose Theater will host an audition for adult and youth roles in its
2014 show, The Rose’s Production of Tarzan® based on the Disney film, on Monday,
February 10 at 6:00 PM and Tuesday, February 11 at 6:00 PM with callbacks on Thursday,
February 13. Youth actors should be at least six years of age. Actors of all types are
welcome to audition and must come to The Rose Theater, 2001 Farnam Street. Minority
actors are wanted for lead roles. Auditionees should prepare a short song selection of 16-24
bars and be prepared to dance.
Actors must be available for weeknight and weekend rehearsals and performances
between May 6 and June 22. This is a paid position for adult actors. Minority actors are
highly encouraged to audition. Questions regarding auditions may be directed to Jennifer
Collins Hard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Show:
Tarzan is a fun, wild ride of a musical that undergoes one man’s process of
assimilation into an ape family. As a child abandoned in the jungle of Africa, Tarzan must do
what it takes to fit in with a family of apes-- only to then, as a young man, have to adjust
everything he’s learned and everything he is to impress a girl! Following Tarzan’s socialization process, the Disney musical investigates what we must sacrifice in order to succeed by societal standards and subsequently asks us to investigate what parts of ourselves are sacred and not subject to change.
This plans to be a fun, irreverent production of a classic tale. If you have any interest in
learning dance, animal work, aerial work, acrobatics-- and think you might have fun
climbing all over a jungle gym-- come out and join us! We welcome students and actors of all
ages and races.
• TARZAN: young adult Ape Man, innocent, vulnerable, fearless and full of ingenuity.
• KALA KERCHAK: a gentle mother ape
• KERCHAK, a gruff bull ape, leader of the gorillas, Kala’s mate
• TERK: A sarcastic, overconfident, adolescent ape who takes Tarzan under his wing
• JANEe: a modern and adventurous young Englishwoman, student of botany
• PORTER: a bumbling yet sensitive Englishman, professor of Biology, father of Jane
• CLAYTON: a brutish, arrogent, self-absobed, and greedy British expedition guide
• YOUNG TARZAN: an innocent human misfit raised by apes (any age between 6-11)
• Chorus of 15 dancers who play apes and humans throughout the entire play
• Chorus of 5-10 children who play apes and various other roles throughout the entire play
About the Director:
After several years directing and working in New York City, Kit McKay received her
M.F.A in directing at Northwestern University, thus having the opportunity to work with and
learn from such incredible directors as Anna D. Shapiro, Jessica Thebus and Mary
Zimmerman at Steppenwolf Theatre, Chicago Shakespeare Theatre, Lookinglass Theatre
among other institutions. As part of her subsequent studies at the Yale School of Drama
in Theatre Management, she was given the opportunity to work with Ben Moore and Jerry
Manning at Seattle Repertory Theatre. She is the Associate Director of the Performance
Series at American Dance Institute. Kit is a founding member and Artistic Director of Parallel
45 Theatre Company.
Back to All Listings...