Elmwood Playhouse is delighted to announce Steven Sondheim's masterwork, "Sunday in the Park with George" is coming to Nyack this November. This 30th anniversary production promises to be an amazing collaboration and celebration of the arts in our community. Please post any information you can to your catalog of events. Auditions are open to all.
Open AUDITION NOTICE
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by James Lapine
Directed by Claudia Stefany & Jennie Marino
Music Direction by Assaf Gleizner
Tuesday June 3rd from 7:00-10:00 PM Main Theatre
Wednesday June 4th from 7:00-10:00 PM Sorkin Studio
Callbacks Thursday June 5th 7:00-10:00 PM Sorkin Studio
Elmwood Playhouse, 10 Park Street, Nyack, NY 10960
Show Dates: November 14th thru December 13, 2014
For More Information visit
Please prepare a Sondheim song (NOT from the show) or a song of similar style. Bring sheet music in the correct key. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring a Photo/Resume if available and a list of any conflicts you may have. Regular rehearsals will not begin until after September 1st but there will be some music rehearsals over the summer months most especially for the actors cast as George and Dot.
SYNOPSIS: Based on the days leading up to the completion of George Seurat’s painting ‘A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte’, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE is Sondheim's masterpiece exploring Seurat’s struggle to make meaningful art while maintaining a relationship with his lover Dot. Amid the scorn of the artistic community, Seurat’s artistic ability thrives while his love diminishes. A century later, his great grandson George is in search of his own artistic path, finding the answer to his future in the past.
This show requires an ensemble of strong singer/actors who will be playing multiple roles.
1. GEORGE SEURAT: An artist obsessed with his work & vision at the cost of his personal life and GEORGE: Seurat’s Great Grandson, burnt-out sculptor/inventor searching for life’s purpose.
Male 25-40 years, Tenor
2. DOT: Seurat’s headstrong mistress and occasional model and MARIE: George’s elderly wheelchair bound Grandmother who helps him connect to his life & his art.
Female 22-35, Soprano
3. OLD LADY: Seurat’s mother, a cranky and rather demanding fixture in the park and BLAIR DANIELS: an art critic who respects & attempts to counsel George in finding a new direction.
Female 60-75, Mezzo Soprano
4. NURSE: calming attendant to Old Lady, having an affair with Franz and MRS: larger than life southern lady visiting Paris with her husband 'Mr' and HARRIET PAWLING: art patron more interested in being seen at art shows then the art itself.
Female 40-60, Soprano
5. JULES: critical, shallow, rival artist who is having an affair with Freida and BOB GREENBERG: awkward museum director trying to balance the museum’s future/finances.
Male 35-60, Baritone
6. YVONNE: Jules’ pampered & proper wife, secretly envies Dot’s passion and NAOMI EISEN: composer of techno music for George’s Chromolume presentation.
Female 35-50, Alto
7. CELESTE #1: young gossipy, flirty, shop girl and PHOTOGRAPHER: freelance photographer hired by the museum to shoot George’s opening.
Female 18-30, Soprano
8. CELESTE #2: young, gossipy, shop girl and ELAINE: George’s ex-wife who is still in his life as a supportive and valuable friend.
Female 25-35, Soprano
9. BOATMAN: surly, blunt laborer and CHARLES REDMOND: visiting museum curator.
Male 35-60, Baritone
10. LOUIS: kind, likeable baker, marries Dot and BILLY WEBSTER: art patron/good friend to Harriet.
Male 35-55, Baritone
11. LOUISE: Jules’ and Yvonne’s bratty, spoiled little daughter. *Appears in both Acts as Louise.
Female 8-12, Soprano
12. FREIDA: German cook for Jule’s & Yvonne, married to Franz (*German accent necessary as Freida) and BETTY: a hipster artist/friend to Max.
Female 30-45, Mezzo Soprano
13. FRANZ: surly German coachman to Jules, (*German accent necessary as Franz), lusts after the Nurse.
Male 35-45, Low Tenor
14. SOLDIER: young French military man, always accompanied by a fellow soldier and ALEX: whinny contemporary artist jealous of George.
Male 25-35, Baritone
15. MR: obnoxious southern gentlemen married to Mrs. and LEE RANDOLPH: The museum’s publicist and 'yes' man to George.
Male 45-65, Baritone/Bass
George Seurat + Stephen Sondheim = sheer perfection
Elmwood Playhouse, Nyack NY, providing outstanding and affordable theatre for over 67 years. Our newly renovated theatre complex boasts an intimate 99 seat, air conditioned theatre, rehearsal studios and production facilities. Complimenting the main stage musicals, comedies and dramas, this award winning community theatre hosts free workshops, classes, special events and a 2nd stage series. Located in the artistic heart of Nyack, Elmwood is actively partnered with local community culture, fine dining, and nightlife. The playhouse invites all creatives, (onstage and off) to get involved; check the website for audition notices and production dates.
10 Park Street, Nyack, NY 10960
Box Office Hours Tues/Fri, 9:00am - 3:00pm; Sat,10:00am - 2:00pm.
For more information visit
http://www.elmwoodplayhouse.com or phone (845) 353-1313.
Back to All Listings...