Concerts, Comedy, Theatre, Dance and More Set for UCPAC's 2014-15 Season; Ticket Deals Running 8/7-10
Union County Performing Arts Center announces its 2014-15 Season with a four-day Super Saver Ticket Sale running from noon Aug. 7 through midnight Aug. 10. Tickets can be bought online at www.ucpac.org, by calling (732) 499-8226 or in person at UCPAC Box Office, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway.
"Our UCPAC, Hamilton Stage and Loft venues present an incredible variety of entertainment during the year," says Union County Performing Arts Center executive director Lawrence McCullough.
"We've got music and dance from around the world, an astounding lineup of contemporary theatre and classic films -- plus a star-studded American Music series you won't find anywhere in New Jersey."
UCPAC's 2014-15 schedule includes the RSI Bank Jazz Masters Series with concerts by world-class Jazz artists such as Dave Burrell, The Cookers, Doug Carn Trio, Vadim Neselovskyi, Andy Bey, Jazz House Kids and Chris Brubeck Trio.
UCPAC hosts the Split Level Concert Series featuring a galaxy of American Music standouts: Danielia Cotton, Patty Larkin, Lucy Kaplansky, Lisa Bouchelle, Susan Werner, Sharon Goldman, Jenna Lindbo, Amy Black, Darden Smith, Dayna Kurtz, Milton and the New York Songwriter Showcase.
There is also a unique Split Level subset series titled Next Generation, presenting artists whose parents are acclaimed music stars: Jen Chapin, Natalia Zukerman, Sloan Wainwright, Louise Goffin, Alyssa Bonagura and Jesse and Noah Bellamy.
Tickets will be on sale for the Center's 86th Anniversary Gala set for Oct. 18 and featuring the original musical The Phantoms ... Unmasked with three of Broadway's top Phantoms from The Phantom of the Opera playing lead roles.
"We're adding new shows to the schedule every week," says McCullough. "The 2014-15 season is going to be the biggest and most diverse Union County Performing Arts Center has had in years."
Headliners: Comedian Kathleen Madigan (Oct. 16), A Night in Tuscany: Moreno Fruzzetti in Concert (Oct. 25), Fab Four, Ultimate Beatles Tribute (Nov. 1), Dickens' Christmas Carol featuring Master Storyteller Jonathan Kruk (Nov. 30), Orchestra of St. Peter-by-the-Sea (Dec. 6) Dick Fox's Doowop Extravaganza (Dec. 12), Cary Hoffman in My Sinatra: The PBS Special (Apr. 25).
Theatre: To Kill a Mockingbird (Sept. 19-Oct. 5), Speech and Debate (Oct. 10-18), Bachlorette (Nov. 14-16), Legends and Bridge (Dec. 4-7), It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play (Dec. 12-20), I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (Jan. 2-11), My Mother's Jewish, My Father's Italian, I'm in Therapy? (Jan. 24), Parade (Feb. 20-Mar. 1), Nine: The Musical (Mar. 6-22), The Shadow Box (May 1-17) and matinee performances of The Jersey Shore Tenors throughout the year.
Dance: Alborada Spanish Dance Theatre (Flamenco All Stars-Oct. 11; El Sueño/Spanish Nutcracker-Jan. 4), NJ Ballet (Pinocchio-Oct. 19), American Repertory Ballet (Midsummer Night's Dream-Oct. 18, The Nutcracker-Nov. 22, Signature Duets-Apr. 24-25).
"UCPAC is a full-service arts center; our goal is to have an audience at one of our venues every single day of the year," McCullough notes.
This coming week will deliver a swift jumpstart to that campaign.
Besides the four-day Super Saver Ticket Sale, UCPAC hosts three concerts, a film night and the final round of auditions for the 2014 Fearless Icon Vocal Contest.
* Thur. Aug. 7, 7:30 pm. PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE featured at Mayor's Summer Concert Series. UCPAC Mainstage, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway. Free admission.
* Fri. Aug. 8, 8:00 pm. MINT CONDITION, with opening acts Brooke Alford and The Clique. UCPAC Mainstage, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway. Tickets: $55, $45, $35, $30.
* Sat. Aug. 9, 8:00 pm. TRIBUTE TO R.D. BURMAN, INDIA'S SUPREME FILM COMPOSER, featuring Mahalaksmi Iyer, Jolly Mukherjee. UCPAC Mainstage, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway. Tickets: $109, $59, $39, $29.
* Sun. Aug. 10, 4:30 pm. FEARLESS ICON VOCAL CONTEST AUDITIONS - singers audition for right to be the Best Musica Theatre Voice in New Jersey. Hamilton Stage, 360 Hamilton Street, Rahway. Free admission.
* Sun. Aug. 10, 7:00 pm. CLASSIC FILM SERIES: Hook, Line and Sinker and Block Busters. UCPAC Mainstage, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway. Tickets: $5.