Omaha Performing Arts Announces BEAUTIFUL Songwriting Competition Winners
After an overwhelming local response, Omaha Performing Arts is proud to announce the top two songs in the BEAUTIFUL - The Carole King Musical Songwriting Competition.
Jaymie Argotsinger, 18, and Cher Klosner-Lane, 58, have been selected as the top songwriters. Each of the winning songwriters will receive a YouTube recording of their songs by cast members of Broadway's BEAUTIFUL - The Carole King Musical when the national tour stops in Omaha April 4-9.
Argotsinger will perform "Inside (Speak Up)" and Klosner-Lane will sing "When The Music Isn't Playing" in a special showcase concert with other top finalists from two age groups, ages 13-18 and 19+, March 27 at The Waiting Room. Tickets to the songwriting showcase are free.
More than 40 local people registered for the BEAUTIFUL - The Carole King Musical Songwriting Contest. Presented in conjunction with the Tony Award-winning Broadway hit, the competition and showcase gives aspiring songwriters an opportunity to show off their talent and have their music heard by industry professionals.
BEAUTIFUL - The Carole King Musical, winner of two Tony Awards and a Grammy Award, tells the inspiring true story of King's remarkable rise to stardom as a songwriter and performer.
The production features a stunning array of beloved songs written by Gerry Goffin/Carole King and Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil, including "I Feel The Earth Move," "One Fine Day," "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," "You've Got A Friend" and the title song, BEAUTIFUL. The show has a book by Tony Award-nominee and Academy Award-nominated writer Douglas McGrath, direction by Marc Bruni, choreography by Josh Prince, and took home two 2014 Tony Awards and a 2015 Grammy Award.
The songwriting competition is supported by a grant from The Broadway League. A panel of five local community musicians and arts leaders chose the winners. Each of the top 20 winners will receive two complimentary tickets to the opening night performance of BEAUTIFUL - The Carole King Musical April 4, 2017.
Listen to the winners with the playlist below!
The Top 10 songwriters performing in the March 27 showcase include:
13-18 Age Division:
- Jayme Argotsinger, Omaha - "Inside (Speak Up)"
- Natalie Budz, Omaha - "Could I"
- Caroline Drew, Omaha - "In Transit"
- Grace Giebler, Omaha - "Let's Build a Rocket"
- Nebraska Grayson, Lincoln - "Obsession is What Kept Us Holy"
- Japrice Green, Omaha - "Heartbeat"
- Jadyn Keller, Lincoln - "I Need You"
- Mary Ruth McLeay, Omaha - "Apple Tree"
- Ben Stuart, Lincoln - "Climb"
- Henry Tomsu, Omaha - "Curiosity"
19+ Age Division:
- Oliver Alonzo, Omaha - "Nothing I love More Than You"
- Sophie Clark, Omaha - "I'll Be Fine"
- David Corbin, Omaha - "The Music Never Died"
- Robert Glaser, Omaha - "I'm not Waking"
- Duane Glover, Fort Calhoun - "Rocket to the Moon"
- Ben Kammerer, Omaha - "Aurora"
- Cher Klosner-Lane, Omaha - "When The Music Isn't Playing"
- Ananias Montague, Elkhorn - "Everything I Need and More"
- Kirk Vaughn-Robinson, Council Bluffs - "The House I Never Built"
- Maria Wishard, Omaha - "He's Gone"
The touring Broadway production stops at Omaha's Orpheum Theater April 4-9, 2017 as part of Omaha Performing Arts' Broadway Series. Tickets start at $35 at the Ticket Omaha* box office inside the Holland Performing Arts Center, 1200 Douglas Street, online at TicketOmaha.com or by calling (402) 345-0606.
*Ticket Omaha is the official retail ticket outlet for all performances at the Orpheum Theater and the Holland Performing Arts Center. Tickets purchased from other ticket retailers such as secondary ticket agencies or brokers may be more expensive and may not be valid. Due to the nature of live entertainment, all programs, performers, prices, dates and times are subject to change.
Omaha Performing Arts is dedicated to providing the best Broadway, jazz, blues, dance, comedy, family and popular entertainment to the citizens of Omaha at the Orpheum Theater, Holland Performing Arts Center and beyond. As Nebraska's largest arts organization, we also provide education opportunities and free community events to expand arts appreciation. Ticket Omaha is our official ticket provider.